No announcement yet.

Help me rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just traded Ichiro and Soria for Bryce Harper 15A. Having a bit of immediate buyer's remorse since he's still just 18, already at $15, and there's a chance the Nats will try to keep him in the minors for much of 2012, but I couldn't resist the idea of securing MLB's top prospect.

I still have Morneau, Uggla and Huff as assets to include in keeper upgrades. Now I need to figure out if I can still field a team in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      I just traded Ichiro and Soria for Bryce Harper 15A. Having a bit of immediate buyer's remorse since he's still just 18, already at $15, and there's a chance the Nats will try to keep him in the minors for much of 2012, but I couldn't resist the idea of securing MLB's top prospect.

I still have Morneau, Uggla and Huff as assets to include in keeper upgrades. Now I need to figure out if I can still field a team in 2011.
      I know I am biased, since I was a bidder, but I think buyer's remorse is justified. Harper projects to debut in 2013, and it might not be until well into the season. Physically, he has the tools to be great, but they are going to need to work with him to make sure he doesn't get his head knocked off in his first big league game. Under the old rule for minor leaguers, this would have made more sense, but at $15 and his contract clock already running, the salary vs. time equation doesn't seem to work out in your favor.

Comment

Harper is a monster for a long term keeper, I would give almost anyone for him in my league format. My league, farm time is frozen, his clock doesnt start until he comes up for good, projected to be 2013. And then he would be $5 in 2014, 2015, and then you could wrap him to a $15 contract thru 2018.

Having his clock running right now, and paying $15 for him for next year when the teenager very likey wont be up for good until 2013, makes this definitely less favorable for you.

Comment

I am used to 12 tm NL, your 15 tm mixed ultra. Does Ultra mean 40 man rosters? Normally, I would think prospects are not building block targets at all in a 15 tm mixed, unless we are talking unusually large rosters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
            I know I am biased, since I was a bidder, but I think buyer's remorse is justified. Harper projects to debut in 2013, and it might not be until well into the season. Physically, he has the tools to be great, but they are going to need to work with him to make sure he doesn't get his head knocked off in his first big league game. Under the old rule for minor leaguers, this would have made more sense, but at $15 and his contract clock already running, the salary vs. time equation doesn't seem to work out in your favor.
            I agree with Lucky. That's a huge sunk cost in 2012 when he's a September call-up at best. You'll need to extend him based on 100-150 ABs. Also, when you're talking about fantasy, I'd probably put Trout ahead of Harper in terms of prospects.

Comment

I feel the Nats' franchise will feel fan pressure to include him on the Opening Day roster next year, but you guys are probably right that it was a dumb risk to take. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                I feel the Nats' franchise will feel fan pressure to include him on the Opening Day roster next year, but you guys are probably right that it was a dumb risk to take. Oh well.
                Yeah, bowing to fan pressure to bring Strasburg up last year worked out well for them.
                Last edited by ; 06-17-2011, 05:11 PM. Reason: to be less snarky

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Yeah, bowing to fan pressure to bring Strasburg up last year worked out well for them.
                  Is there any evidence (although I have no idea what it would be) to indicate that pitchers are more likely to suffer pitching-related injuries in the majors than in the minors? I had assumed that if Strasburg hurt his arm pitching in the majors, he probably would have done it in the minors anyway and it was just sort of inevitable. And bringing him up certainly got the fans in DC excited, at least for a little while...
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    Is there any evidence (although I have no idea what it would be) to indicate that pitchers are more likely to suffer pitching-related injuries in the majors than in the minors? I had assumed that if Strasburg hurt his arm pitching in the majors, he probably would have done it in the minors anyway and it was just sort of inevitable. And bringing him up certainly got the fans in DC excited, at least for a little while...
                    I watched him pitch while he was up. He tried to throw 110 miles an hour, and to strike everybody out. The minor leagues is not just for physical development, but to develop the right psychological makeup as well. So, I don't know about pitchers in general, but I think this pitcher's injury was related to being up too soon.

In his first major league game, he threw 34 pitches 98 mph or faster, with at least two pitches of 100 mph.

Comment

Working...
                    X