Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    They were not, until this evening.
    Interesting. Why not? They weren’t allowed to speak to each other?

Comment

• In the new rule for ROY voting the top few finishers will make extra money and will also be rewarded with a full season of service time regardless of when they were called up. The service time angle is being touted as an incentive for clubs to call up their top prospects earlier.

If you're the owner of the Mariners how does this incentivize you to have your team promote Julio Rodriguez at the start of the season in the hopes that he'll finish high in ROY voting?

Am I missing something? It seems like this could just lead to even more manipulation tactics and acrimony between young players and mgmt (?)

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Interesting. Why not? They weren’t allowed to speak to each other?
        Not about transactions. And I think those rules were followed, to a large degree, if not perfectly.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
          In the new rule for ROY voting the top few finishers will make extra money and will also be rewarded with a full season of service time regardless of when they were called up. The service time angle is being touted as an incentive for clubs to call up their top prospects earlier.

If you're the owner of the Mariners how does this incentivize you to have your team promote Julio Rodriguez at the start of the season in the hopes that he'll finish high in ROY voting?

Am I missing something? It seems like this could just lead to even more manipulation tactics and acrimony between young players and mgmt (?)
          There is this:

Clubs promoting top prospects to Opening Day rosters will be eligible to receive Draft picks if the player finishes in the Top 3 in the Rookie of the Year voting or Top 5 in MVP/Cy Young voting.

Is that enough to offset the service time effect?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            Not about transactions. And I think those rules were followed, to a large degree, if not perfectly.
            Good insight, thanks.

Comment

• All 18 teams finishing out of the playoff hunt will now have a shot at the #1 overall pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                All 18 teams finishing out of the playoff hunt will now have a shot at the #1 overall pick.
                Damn! Now the Pirates will no longer get multiple #1 picks every decade. Oh wait, it didn't help anyway.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Can we pour one out for the ghost runner? Perhaps the worst rule baseball has ever implemented!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                    There is this:

Clubs promoting top prospects to Opening Day rosters will be eligible to receive Draft picks if the player finishes in the Top 3 in the Rookie of the Year voting or Top 5 in MVP/Cy Young voting.

Is that enough to offset the service time effect?
                    It's an interesting dynamic. I think only allowing the top 3 ROY to collect an extra draft pick isn't quite enough motivation to promote guys 3 weeks sooner. But maybe it pushes more teams to sign their prospects to guaranteed deals covering arb years, giving them the advantage of being able to promote on opening day without consequence.
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Dammit--they are talking about bringing back ghost runners. Despite that being a cool name for them, I am not a fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        Can we pour one out for the ghost runner?
                        no

we can't

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          Can we pour one out for the ghost runner? Perhaps the worst rule baseball has ever implemented!!!
                          Jinxed it!
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Does anyone know if the new agreement includes the thing about the highest ranking playoff team(s) picking their opponents?

Sounds like an abomination to me.

Comment

• This is a good article: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...-but-did-they/
                              2021 Auction Anatomy
                              2021 Keeper Decisions
                              2020 Auction Anatomy
                              2020 Pre-Auction
                              2015 Auction Anatomy
                              2014 Auction Anatomy
                              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                                I got paywalled.