CBA '21-'22 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    While I generally agree with the sentiment of owners being at fault here, that statement is not really helping the case. "Impacted the season" turns out to only change the dates on the calendar and not miss games. Player strikes have cost large portions of seasons.

So if the idea was to say lockout = bad, players = good, this type statement doesn't do what you think it does IMO.
    But there wasn't a strike, there was a lockout. And it's the first time in history that one of these lockouts impacted the regular season. It's just a factual statement. Whether that factual statement does anything is a matter of opinion, I suppose.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Now we get to see which teams were tampering during the lockout, lol. If the Dodgers announce a Freddie Freeman signing within the next 24 hours, well, then you'll know what they've been up to.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        But there wasn't a strike, there was a lockout. And it's the first time in history that one of these lockouts impacted the regular season. It's just a factual statement. Whether that factual statement does anything is a matter of opinion, I suppose.
        The "Dicks" wasn't a factual statement, at least in the way you are presenting here

That's what seemed off and didn't seem congruent with everything else you've posted in this thread, which I've generally agreed with.

They had a lockout, but in the end, no games lost (as opposed to the strikes in the past that cost games).

That would seem to shed positive light on the owners.

Comment

Now we get to see which teams were tampering during the lockout, lol. If the Dodgers announce a Freddie Freeman signing within the next 24 hours, well, then you'll know what they've been up to.
          Does it? I'm sure they exchanged numbers before the lockout.

So if Freeman's agent told Dodgers that he wanted $X before the lockout, and in the last month the Dodgers front office analyzed all their options and decided that $X was a fair price, I'm not sure why that says they were tampering. If free agency hadn't started first, I'd agree with you. But in this situation I disagree.

Comment

Does it? I'm sure they exchanged numbers before the lockout.

So if Freeman's agent told Dodgers that he wanted $X before the lockout, and in the last month the Dodgers front office analyzed all their options and decided that $X was a fair price, I'm not sure why that says they were tampering. If free agency hadn't started first, I'd agree with you. But in this situation I disagree.
            Yeah, even if there was tampering it would be very difficult to prove. It would be pretty funny to see a mega signing happen in the next hour or two, though.

Comment

The "Dicks" wasn't a factual statement, at least in the way you are presenting here
              All the Owners are male aren't they? So technically....
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yeah, even if there was tampering it would be very difficult to prove. It would be pretty funny to see a mega signing happen in the next hour or two, though.
                I just had the same conversation with my pal/commish. I made the same joke and his response was Ken's--they will be careful not to get punished and it is possible numbers were settled on before the lockout. There is no way to prove it, but I agree, it would be fun and funny to see all the big names signed in the next 48 hours. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  I just had the same conversation with my pal/commish. I made the same joke and his response was Ken's--they will be careful not to get punished and it is possible numbers were settled on before the lockout. There is no way to prove it, but I agree, it would be fun and funny to see all the big names signed in the next 48 hours. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.
                  Preller will have 2 trades completed and at least 1 FA signing by dinnertime...
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Now we get to see which teams were tampering during the lockout, lol. If the Dodgers announce a Freddie Freeman signing within the next 24 hours, well, then you'll know what they've been up to.
                    that would indeed be bullshit. But if the Jays sign him tonight it's totally legit. Just to be clear.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

First lockout in MLB history that impacted the regular season. Dicks.
                      Not true! The 1990 lockout also moved Opening Day back a week.

Comment

• I would assume that there will be more trades in the next day or two because GMs were certainly allowed to speak to each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Not true! The 1990 lockout also moved Opening Day back a week.
                          Look here, owner lover, I'm just mindlessly regurgitating what the brain trust at CBS is telling me. To be fair, they said "first lockout to compromise the regular season".

I'm guessing the difference is that this time the bad guys canceled a bunch of regular season games.
                          Last edited by Bene Futuis; 03-10-2022, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            I would assume that there will be more trades in the next day or two because GMs were certainly allowed to speak to each other.
                            They were not, until this evening.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I think the hot stove is going to be a lot slower tonight than people seem to anticipate.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                I think the hot stove is going to be a lot slower tonight than people seem to anticipate.
                                Well if you're spending time posting on here instead of out there re-signing Freddie Freeman, I think you may be right!

Comment

Working...
                                X