No announcement yet.

CBA '21-'22 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine having both Trout and Ohtani and being cheap now because you and your previous GM made multiple stupid FA overspends so now you want your fellow owners to prevent you from repeating it rather than making smarter purchases.

Comment

• The players have put 14 teams back in play. I'm not super happy about it, but I get it. It is the last card they have to play. At this point, it is hard to trust the owners to negotiate in good faith, but here is to hoping this final concession is enough to lead owners to give enough back to the players to get this deal done and the season started close to on time.

Comment

• I feel like I'm being a rube, but maybe, just maybe some real progress is going to be made today.

I'm encouraged that they are meeting on a Sunday and apparently a full proposal by the players is going to be made. Away from the circus atmosphere may be helpful.

Comment

• These things tend to resolve quickly once the critical shift is made, which is generally after pressure is felt.

A formal proposal can mean anything from a rehash of previous positions to a blueprint going forward. There is no telling in advance.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Players agreed to on field changes for 2023, but no moves of any consequence on economic issues.

Yours truly,
            Rube

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
              Players agreed to on field changes for 2023, but no moves of any consequence on economic issues.

Yours truly,
              Rube
              Why would you be so harsh and call yourself a rube? It is my understanding that the “economic issues” are not a very significant part of this negotiation.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                Players agreed to on field changes for 2023, but no moves of any consequence on economic issues.

Yours truly,
                Rube
                Baby steps till late March, I'm afraid. Still believe/hope a deal by the end of March will happen.

Comment

• Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball declared themselves "deadlocked" after receiving Sunday's proposal from the Major League Baseball Players Association.

MLB's Glen Caplin stated, "We were hoping to see some movement in our direction to give us additional flexibility and get a deal done quickly. The Players Association chose to come back to us with a proposal that was worse than Monday night and was not designed to move the process forward... On some issues, they even went backwards. Simply put, we are deadlocked. We will try to figure out how to respond, but nothing in this proposal makes it easy." Sigh. As of now, no follow-up meeting has been scheduled.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The ban on shifts is interesting. Significant fantasy implications for a few players there.

Comment

• Both sides seem deeply entrenched, so that is not good for a fast resolution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Both sides seem deeply entrenched, so that is not good for a fast resolution.
                        As usual only the lawyers come out ahead.

Comment

• At this point, I am now rooting for the season to be cancelled entirely. I’d rather see a full season next year than YET ANOTHER abbreviated season. They both can go F themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            The ban on shifts is interesting. Significant fantasy implications for a few players there.
                            Banning or limiting defensive shifts would be an effort to restore Major League Baseball to how it was played before offense was suffocated by analytics - Rob Manfred July 13, 2021.

“Let’s just say you regulated the shift by requiring two infielders on each side of second base. What does that do? It makes the game look like what it looked like when I was 12 years old,” he said. “It’s not change. It’s kind of restoration, right? That’s why people are in favor of it. And they do believe, I think front offices in general believe it would have a positive effect on the play of the game.

“So I’m hopeful without going into the specifics of rule by rule, that we will have productive conversations with the MLBPA about — I want to use my words — non-radical changes to the game that will restore it to being played in a way that is closer to I think what many of us enjoy historically."
                            Last edited by madducks; 03-06-2022, 08:13 PM.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• It is kind of odd that Manfred is proposing that they change the game by eliminating shifts…when it was front offices that implemented them in the first place. It seems like MLB owners are always trying to legislate ways to save them from themselves.

As opposed to eliminating shifts entirely, why not give each team three per game, that they can choose to use in strategic moments? And make it so that it can’t be used on any one player more than once per game so you can’t use it every time a certain player comes up to hit. That would still maintain it as an interesting defensive strategy which adds a bit of intrigue to the game.
                              2021 Auction Anatomy
                              2021 Keeper Decisions
                              2020 Auction Anatomy
                              2020 Pre-Auction
                              2015 Auction Anatomy
                              2014 Auction Anatomy
                              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                                This is NOT a #bothsides issue, as easy as it is to claim that.
                                I’ll disagree.

The players are seeking asks that are much higher than the last CBA, or didn’t exist at all. And then they’re slowly coming down from them. You can’t go to your boss and ask for a $1m raise and when he or she think you’re nuts, you ask for $900k instead.

The owners are willing to burn down their own ships as well. Both sides are at fault here.

Comment

Working...
                                X