No announcement yet.

CBA '21-'22 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As expected, they’re pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. If they don’t come to a deal, it’s all going south from here, as suddenly getting paid for missed games will now become the focal point.

MLBPA doesn’t have the upper hand until May 1, as MLB can miss 20 games before the TV contracts need to be reimbursed.

Therefore, no agreement today: hello June 1 opening day!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      As expected, they’re pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. If they don’t come to a deal, it’s all going south from here, as suddenly getting paid for missed games will now become the focal point.

MLBPA doesn’t have the upper hand until May 1, as MLB can miss 20 games before the TV contracts need to be reimbursed.

Therefore, no agreement today: hello June 1 opening day!

Comment

• Looks like you goddamned optimists ruined it for everyone.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• The fact that the Rockies owner was a lead negotiator should make it obvious how serious the owners were.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I don't know about you guys, but I'm just about done with baseball/fantasy baseball. This is going to KO at least a month, probably 2-3 months. We're debating completely shutting down our league that's been in existence since 1991. This is just too exhausting.

Let's also remember that in 2020, when covid ravaged the sports world, these two groups of complete idiots ALSO couldn't agree on a deal. Manfred had the authority to uniltaerally make a decision, which he did. So that's two of the last three years where they negotiated and couldn't come to an agreement.

Now as the players are the only losers here -- remember MLB doesn't lose TV dollars until Game 21 -- I fully expect them to turn the tables and wait it out.

This is going to be a loooong haul.

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but I'm just about done with baseball/fantasy baseball. This is going to KO at least a month, probably 2-3 months. We're debating completely shutting down our league that's been in existence since 1991. This is just too exhausting.

Let's also remember that in 2020, when covid ravaged the sports world, these two groups of complete idiots ALSO couldn't agree on a deal. Manfred had the authority to uniltaerally make a decision, which he did. So that's two of the last three years where they negotiated and couldn't come to an agreement.

Now as the players are the only losers here -- remember MLB doesn't lose TV dollars until Game 21 -- I fully expect them to turn the tables and wait it out.

I can understand your frustration but I feel like I'm on the polar opposite side. I love baseball because of the game itself, not because of the owners or even the current players. Loved baseball before the majority of these players were born and I'll love it after they retire.

They'll squabble and they'll eventually come to an agreement. In the meantime I feel like I have 10,000 other things to be worried about right now, definitely plenty to occupy my time. I can wait.

Are the owners pathetic jerks? Absolutely. Do they really care about fans? Nope, they care about dollars.

But I don't watch baseball because it cares about me, I watch it because I enjoy watching it.

They'll be back.

Comment

• Yuuup, just like I predicted (Tampa Bay Times):

“While both sides said, as you would expect, that they are willing to resume negotiating, no dates were set and union officials headed home after eight days in Jupiter. Nor is there any reason to think the tenor of the talks will change.

Plus, the union added a potentially significant complication. Lead negotiator Bruce Meyer said players will insist that any agreement include pay for the missed games and/or that they be made up.

Thanks to Clownfraud, this is now the NUMBER ONE issue.
                  #worstcommishever

Comment

Yuuup, just like I predicted (Tampa Bay Times):

“While both sides said, as you would expect, that they are willing to resume negotiating, no dates were set and union officials headed home after eight days in Jupiter. Nor is there any reason to think the tenor of the talks will change.

Plus, the union added a potentially significant complication. Lead negotiator Bruce Meyer said players will insist that any agreement include pay for the missed games and/or that they be made up.

Thanks to Clownfraud, this is now the NUMBER ONE issue.
                    #worstcommishever
                    people had to know this was coming--there was/is no way the players are going to let the owners get over on them again. They will demand to be paid for a full 162 plus playoffs or they'll sit the season.

Frankly--it's not up to the players to make up for the losses (If there were any) the owners incurred during covid. Has any other business demanded their employees make up their bosses losses from the pandemic? hell no.

The owners have 20 games to get it together before the TV contracts eat their lunch. If they want REAL losses, that'll do it.

Hopefully the loss of that money will outweigh the potential payout to the players and they'll cave.

If not fuck em, they can all...well insert your favorite Pox here.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• To the small market owners: It’s going to be a bit difficult to share revenue…when there is no revenue to share.

Look, if it was about competitive balance then the owners would agree that revenue sharing dollars would be split between offsetting real (not paper) losses and player salaries. Owners could not just pocket the revenue sharing distributions as profit, but instead would HAVE to put that money into player development, scouting and on-field talent. Like there are penalties for exceeding the CBT threshold, there would also be penalties for not spending a proportionately minimum amount on player salaries. Without inserting such language, the whole competitive balance argument goes out the window.

MLB owners don’t appear to want the game itself to be better. A number of them are investors more than they are fans, and don’t appear to care about the quality of the game…just the quality of their investment returns.
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• And they don't care about regular season games. Only post-season ones.

Comment

And they don't care about regular season games. Only post-season ones.
                          They care:

Average fans per MLB game: 28,204
                          Average ticket price: $32.99
                          Average ticket revenue per game: = $930,449.96
                          Average food and merchandise revenue per game: = $3,102,618.14
                          Total of average revenue from tickets, food, and merchandise per game: = $4,033,068.10

How Much Money Does a Baseball Stadium Make Per Game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            They care:

Average fans per MLB game: 28,204
                            Average ticket price: $32.99
                            Average ticket revenue per game: = $930,449.96
                            Average food and merchandise revenue per game: = $3,102,618.14
                            Total of average revenue from tickets, food, and merchandise per game: = $4,033,068.10

How Much Money Does a Baseball Stadium Make Per Game?
                            Less tho in April. Lower profit margins in coffee than beer.

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but I'm just about done with baseball/fantasy baseball. This is going to KO at least a month, probably 2-3 months. We're debating completely shutting down our league that's been in existence since 1991. This is just too exhausting.

Mostly it's just sapped any motivation to do any Fantasy Baseball research. I just can't get interested.
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X