No announcement yet.

Rotojunkies NFBC Draft Championship League #1 Picks And Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree that 2B has a lot of serviceable guys at the bottom, but it seemed top heavy to me.

1B is like a wasteland

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Hmmm, this is my 1st crack doing an NFBC team on my own. I'll have 18 pitchers. Is that really not enough? Ah well.
      Honestly, I think you are a bit short but I also think tracking the total "number" of players you have at a position is a little silly. There are lots of players we draft who honestly will not positively contribute to a team. That's the reality of a 50 round draft. Those players at the end who don't matter really don't make a difference to your count. They can not contribute as a pitcher, or they can not contribute as a SS. It makes no difference.

If we are digging into numbers like that we should probably say X number at a particular position is needed by round...35 or 40. Because the lotto tickets at the end don't matter. In fact lotto tickets are a good analogy, when I'm planning my budget, I look at my income, but if I played the lottery I wouldn't count lottery income as part of my budgeting.

You probably need 3 decent players at the infield positions, 8-10 decent OFers, 3 catchers who will play, ~13 starters who actually start, and 5 relievers who are high leverage. After that, the *bad* players we draft at the end don't matter in your planning.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        I haven't had a lot of trouble getting 2B depth - a lot of the later round guys seem to be guys that I'm interested in.
        To be fair, the 4th guy in your 2B list is on a minor league contract, so I don't think it's fair to say the end of your 2B list gives you viable depth. If those guys are playing you are in some trouble.

Comment

• I dont know...I really like the guy Im about to draft in round 50 and believe my endgame plays could be contributors. I get the logic, but on my team, for example, I believe that outside of the innings eaters, Barreto is a worthy dart throw and could be a contributor, and Shawn Armstrong has a legit shot at opening the season as a closer. The guy Im hopefully about to draft could end up opening the season in the starting lineup as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            I dont know...I really like the guy Im about to draft in round 50 and believe my endgame plays could be contributors. I get the logic, but on my team, for example, I believe that outside of the innings eaters, Barreto is a worthy dart throw and could be a contributor, and Shawn Armstrong has a legit shot at opening the season as a closer. The guy Im hopefully about to draft could end up opening the season in the starting lineup as well.
            I mean, everyone likes their own players, sure. But there's a reason they are available in round 50. It's not because you are a fantasy genius, it's because everyone has warts at this point. And big ones. If you are playing these guys you are getting this late then you have some huge problems with your team at that point and you aren't likely to win anything. But if having a static number at a particular position helps you then go for it! It's just not ... actually realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I mean, everyone likes their own players, sure. But there's a reason they are available in round 50. It's not because you are a fantasy genius, it's because everyone has warts at this point. And big ones. If you are playing these guys you are getting this late then you have some huge problems with your team at that point and you aren't likely to win anything. But if having a static number at a particular position helps you then go for it! It's just not ... actually realistic.
              it is absolutely realistic. if you only have 18 total pitchers and only have 11 or 12 SP, then you are in trouble. Bottom line, in my experience, the moment you are forced to start a guy who wont get any AB or IP in a week (other than at C2), is the moment your team is toast. You will say that if you lose so many guys that you are in that situation, you are toast anyway, and you are probably right, but at least it wont be certain lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                You will say that if you lose so many guys that you are in that situation, you are toast anyway, and you are probably right, but at least it wont be certain lol
                You are one step ahead of me, I think you figured out what I was saying and summarized it well.

It's *possible*, but unlikely that these guys at the end contribute.

Really we need a "weighted" count. A SS in rd 1 or 2 should not count the same as one in rd 49 or 50. They aren't at all the same and summarizing your team with numbers that makes them the same is what confuses me. I could draft 5 SS in rds 46-50, and I would have 0 that would positively contribute to my fantasy team.
                Last edited by Ken; 02-08-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Looks like this draft is ending today. I'm impressed, 50 rounds in 10 days is quick!

Comment

• Really great draft, everyone. We really flew through this thing. Other than JC strategically timing out at 2AM every night, very few timeouts in the entire draft. Best one I've done time-wise in a long while.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I agree...great draft. I ended up with 22 pitchers, and only realized I had only 1 first baseman until the last round. Welcome Ronald Guzman!
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

You are one step ahead of me, I think you figured out what I was saying and summarized it well.

It's *possible*, but unlikely that these guys at the end contribute.

Really we need a "weighted" count. A SS in rd 1 or 2 should not count the same as one in rd 49 or 50. They aren't at all the same and summarizing your team with numbers that makes them the same is what confuses me. I could draft 5 SS in rds 46-50, and I would have 0 that would positively contribute to my fantasy team.
                        I used to draft SP slugs at the end of the draft - guys you know are getting starts but you're pretty sure they're going to suck. A couple years ago, though, I drafted both Wade Miley and Anibal Sanchez in the last 4-5 rounds and they both paid off very nicely, relative to when they were taken. I thought about employing that same strategy this year but kind of wussed out and only picked one of those types of guys (Vince Velasquez).

That said, it is absolutely crucial you plan for raw numbers of players at each position, imo. Even if you're throwing darts at the end you're playing probabilities (whether X guy will get promoted, return from injury, etc etc). Since you are essentially hedging against bad shit happening to your starters it is important to spread the wealth around enough to probabilistically provide cover at each position. 18 pitchers is definitely not enough --- but it might end up being just fine! Lol.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          I agree...great draft. I ended up with 22 pitchers, and only realized I had only 1 first baseman until the last round. Welcome Ronald Guzman!
                          He was actually 1 of 2 players still in my queue. But I didn't take the other one either.

Agree with the others, well done fellas!
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            I also really like the Jeff Hoffman dart throw. He's a good target at the very end. Moving to a competent pitching organization + Driveline + former top prospect + getting out of Coors + the Reds maybe trading away their top SPs... could be some goodness deep within him.
                            I've seen Hoffman pitch a bunch of times in person, oddly, during his time in the minors. The dude got lit up like a Christmas tree each time! He's a physically imposing presence on the mound but seems like he hits a lot of the plate and when he does, brother, get those gloves ready in the outfield stands. Still, moving away from all the various launching pads he's been stuck at will only help him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              I've seen Hoffman pitch a bunch of times in person, oddly, during his time in the minors. The dude got lit up like a Christmas tree each time! He's a physically imposing presence on the mound but seems like he hits a lot of the plate and when he does, brother, get those gloves ready in the outfield stands. Still, moving away from all the various launching pads he's been stuck at will only help him.
                              Might be the first time Ive ever heard of Great American Park described as less of a launching pad than somewhere else

Comment

To be fair, the 4th guy in your 2B list is on a minor league contract, so I don't think it's fair to say the end of your 2B list gives you viable depth. If those guys are playing you are in some trouble.
                                Whaddaya mean, I've totally got the Royals 2B job covered between Alberto and Nicky Lopez. Championship!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X