Rotojunkies NFBC Draft Championship League #1 Picks And Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply more lightly
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      Apply more lightly
      I'm trying to motivate him to pick
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Ended up way too outfielder heavy on my bench. Though I guess if the Royals really do play Hunter Dozier at 3B, that gives me some additional flexibility once he qualifies there.

So far the folks in this league have done a much better job of sniping my late round targets than they did in my last draft.

Comment

• That agonizing feeling when you just remember a guy you meant to pick 4 rounds ago, and have to wait forever to see if you get him.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            That agonizing feeling when you just remember a guy you meant to pick 4 rounds ago, and have to wait forever to see if you get him.
            Well...did he make it?

Comment

• Seeing Albert Pujols taken in round 46 just doesn't seem right. Hard to believe it's been 20 years since he burst on the scene as the most amazing prospect hitter I'd ever seen.
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Ended up way too outfielder heavy on my bench. Though I guess if the Royals really do play Hunter Dozier at 3B, that gives me some additional flexibility once he qualifies there.

So far the folks in this league have done a much better job of sniping my late round targets than they did in my last draft.
                I don't think you have too many outfielders. You should have at least 10. A backup for each spot, a few missed that mark, I think. A few teams might find they are going to be a little short on middle infielders. It's a long season and players get hurt, or slump. Revo might find he will have a little trouble getting 9 active pitchers at some point.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  I don't think you have too many outfielders. You should have at least 10. A backup for each spot, a few missed that mark, I think. A few teams might find they are going to be a little short on middle infielders. It's a long season and players get hurt, or slump. Revo might find he will have a little trouble getting 9 active pitchers at some point.
                  Totally agree. I almost made it to my targeted roster goals per position. I am short one 1B. See below, but note that in order to make this work, you need at least 6 multi-eligibles:
                  C- 4
                  1B, 2B, SS, 3B: 5 each
                  OF: 10
                  SP: 15
                  RP: 7

So what did i learn in this draft? 1B and 2B are the shallow positions. 1B especially.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    Hmmm, this is my 1st crack doing an NFBC team on my own. I'll have 18 pitchers. Is that really not enough? Ah well.

Comment

• Why is a guy like Chas McCormick UT? He's never played MLB and he played 97 games in the OF in 2019 while in the minors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        Well...did he make it?
                        He did - it was Kendall Graveman. I like his velocity spike in the bullpen, and while I am a big Rafael Montero guy, at worst Graveman could be a usable 9th pitcher in a lot of weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Hmmm, this is my 1st crack doing an NFBC team on my own. I'll have 18 pitchers. Is that really not enough? Ah well.
                          See, for example... http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...-roster-makeup

The consensus seems to be 23-25 pitchers.

Comment

See, for example... http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...-roster-makeup

The consensus seems to be 23-25 pitchers.
                            I have 24
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              Totally agree. I almost made it to my targeted roster goals per position. I am short one 1B. See below, but note that in order to make this work, you need at least 6 multi-eligibles:
                              C- 4
                              1B, 2B, SS, 3B: 5 each
                              OF: 10
                              SP: 15
                              RP: 7

So what did i learn in this draft? 1B and 2B are the shallow positions. 1B especially.
                              I had a really hard time getting shortstop depth, which hadn't happened before. Same with 3B. I think I just missed my guys in the depth rounds. I also seem to have missed out on most of the 2nd/3rd in line closers from teams other than my 2 primary closers' teams.

I haven't had a lot of trouble getting 2B depth - a lot of the later round guys seem to be guys that I'm interested in.

4xC Tom Murphy (19), Yadi (21), K Suzuki (30), Jason Castro (41)
                              5x1B Vladito (4), Moustakas (8), Moreland (37) ... (Hunter Dozier, Moustakas)
                              7x2B Albies (3), Madrigal (13), Galvis (25), H Alberto (34), Nicky Lopez (44), Tyler Wade (47) ... (Moustakas)
                              3xSS Semien (9), Galvis (25), Tyler Wade (47)
                              3x3B Gio Urshela (11), Austin Riley (16), Abraham Toro (43)
                              9xOF Tucker (2), Conforto (6), Schwarber (15), H Dozier (17), D Peralta (18), Hilliard (22), G Polanco (30), Tim Locastro (39), DJ Stewart (42)
                              15xSP deGrom (1), Pablo Lopez (10), Montas (12), Marco Gonzalez (14), Dunning (20), Turnbull (23), Lorenzen (24), Mikolas (26), Rich Hill (28), Pivetta (32), Alex Cobb (33), Merrill Kelly (38), Chad Kuhl (40), Roark (45), J Barria (46)
                              8xRP E Diaz (5), R Iglesias (7), T May (27), Wendleken (31), Mike Mayers (35), Wittgren (36), Matzek (48), Graveman (49)

Comment

• I also really like the Jeff Hoffman dart throw. He's a good target at the very end. Moving to a competent pitching organization + Driveline + former top prospect + getting out of Coors + the Reds maybe trading away their top SPs... could be some goodness deep within him.

Comment

Working...
                                X