Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Yeah, but just like here, they will almost certainly stick by the guidance provided.

Comment

• I don't want to say I "feel bad" for the impending FA crop, but with MLB almost certainly not going to have crowds this year -- and possibly next year -- how can teams pay players in-line with prior expectations? This coming FA class could likely expect to see contracts that are 20%-40% less than a typical off-season.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I don't want to say I "feel bad" for the impending FA crop, but with MLB almost certainly not going to have crowds this year -- and possibly next year -- how can teams pay players in-line with prior expectations? This coming FA class could likely expect to see contracts that are 20%-40% less than a typical off-season.
        Or they could backload the contracts, with smaller amounts during the projected economic downturn and recovery (21-22) and higher amounts thereafter (assuming long-term deals). To your point, one year contracts could be ugly, and the number of non-tenders could rise significantly.
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
          Or they could backload the contracts, with smaller amounts during the projected economic downturn and recovery (21-22) and higher amounts thereafter (assuming long-term deals). To your point, one year contracts could be ugly, and the number of non-tenders could rise significantly.
          Yep, good point. But I do think most franchises across all sports will be particularly cautious this offseason.

Comment

• MLB is “embracing a plan” also endorsed by the NIH and CDC that would have every team play in empty stadiums in Arizona starting as early as next month:

Major League Baseball and its players are increasingly focused on a plan that could allow them to start the season as early as May in greater Phoenix and has the support of high-ranking federal public health officials, sources told ESPN.

Comment

MLB is “embracing a plan” also endorsed by the NIH and CDC that would have every team play in empty stadiums in Arizona starting as early as next month:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-early-arizona
              I liked the story underneath the season in Arizona story, too. The only player I remember doing the same was Mark Belanger.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

MLB is “embracing a plan” also endorsed by the NIH and CDC that would have every team play in empty stadiums in Arizona starting as early as next month:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-early-arizona
                I hope so, but this seems counter to KS's posts about how playing in empty stadiums would hemorrhage money. Also, it will be an interesting year of baseball, if the season is played. Many questions to answer:

1. How will the centralized location and climate affect players? Will some do better or worse, because of the heat? Will some do better or worse, because of lack of travel?
                2. How will lack of fans affect players? Will some do better or worse because of lack of fans?
                3. How will those who get infected be handled? How will they not spread it to the rest of the team? Will they be forced to miss 14 days, even if they feel fine after 3-4? That is gonna be a lot of two week absences, I think. Will it increase the value of players who have already had it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  I hope so, but this seems counter to KS's posts about how playing in empty stadiums would hemorrhage money. Also, it will be an interesting year of baseball, if the season is played. Many questions to answer:

1. How will the centralized location and climate affect players? Will some do better or worse, because of the heat? Will some do better or worse, because of lack of travel?
                  2. How will lack of fans affect players? Will some do better or worse because of lack of fans?
                  3. How will those who get infected be handled? How will they not spread it to the rest of the team? Will they be forced to miss 14 days, even if they feel fine after 3-4? That is gonna be a lot of two week absences, I think. Will it increase the value of players who have already had it?
                  On the money front, what I said was that the players would have to take a substantial pay cut per game, on the order of 50%, in addition to the cut they're already taking for a shortened season, for the financials to have a chance. There would still be financial obstacles at that point, but if the players would make that concession, maybe other parties would make concessions, too. If the players won't make that concession, then there's no chance. Would players take the health risks and spend the time in isolation from their families for something like 30% of their normal salaries?
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

I think at this point, they have no choice but to play because even Trump said there will likely be no crowds until September, so they shouldn't hold their breath waiting for a miracle. Deciding to end the season before it starts would be a decidedly bad look for the league when the country really needs them to play. They may need to come to an agreement with the MLBPA to withhold a percentage of salaries due to a loss of revenue.

1 - No idea, not sure if this really matters. They seem to do well in spring training.
                    2 - Probably will have zero effect
                    3 - Passan mentioned something about this. I'm sure they will have to have precautions in place

I'm sure each stadium can make some modifications, like enclosed, air conditioned dugouts, or the like. I mean, I understand how hot it can get, but these players will be inside for half the game. I'm sure they'll survive knowing it's play or not get paid. It's also possible the heat will lead to many replacements or sitting out of games more than usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      On the money front, what I said was that the players would have to take a substantial pay cut per game, on the order of 50%, in addition to the cut they're already taking for a shortened season, for the financials to have a chance. There would still be financial obstacles at that point, but if the players would make that concession, maybe other parties would make concessions, too. If the players won't make that concession, then there's no chance. Would players take the health risks and spend the time in isolation from their families for something like 30% of their normal salaries?
                      If everyone would take a cut (players, owners, etc.) and baseball were the first sport back, that would be some forward thinking on everyone's part. Baseball has been concerned about how to attract new fans for a while now, and nothing would beat this for it. On the other hand, everyone could get sick, and it could turn out to be a really stupid idea, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        I certainly hope the league was wise enough to review this with some of the senior MLBPA management before issuing their press release.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I certainly hope the league was wise enough to review this with some of the senior MLBPA management before issuing their press release.
                          The stories I've read on this today mentioned both MLB and MLBPA pushing the plan forward. Are you reading something different?

Comment

The press release basically said, "Whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We're exploring everything right now."

Major League Baseball issued the following statement this morning:
                            “MLB has been actively considering numerous contingency plans that would allow play to commence once the public health situation has improved to the point that it is safe to do so. While we have discussed the idea of staging games at one location as one potential option, we have not settled on that option or developed a detailed plan. While we continue to interact regularly with governmental and public health officials, we have not sought or received approval of any plan from federal, state and local officials, or the Players Association. The health and safety of our employees, players, fans and the public at large are paramount, and we are not ready at this time to endorse any particular format for staging games in light of the rapidly changing public health situation caused by the coronavirus.”
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              The stories I've read on this today mentioned both MLB and MLBPA pushing the plan forward. Are you reading something different?
                              The commissioner's office and the PA are talking about this stuff every day. They're working very closely together. I don't know, and couldn't share if I did, any specifics of concessions the union or the owners have made to each other, but definitely any plan that actually happens would be with the full cooperation of both sides.

Comment

• Being the only sport in town has value, so I imagine they could get a nice bump from their various TV partners looking for content. Many more national games (possible two-to-three per day, with the earliest games played in the D-Backs home park with the roof closed), in addition to the local ones. It won’t replace the gate revenue, but it could make up some of the difference...plus there’s the aforementioned benefit of attracting new fans (especially if they use the “miked-up” feature).

Perhaps owners could strike a deal with the players that would allow for the deferral of some portion of the reduced salaries...with the % recouped in the future tied to increased gate receipts/TV viewership that would presumably come from the exposure they get now.

There is a fair amount of opportunity to get creative to make the finances work.
                                2021 Auction Anatomy
                                2021 Keeper Decisions
                                2020 Auction Anatomy
                                2020 Pre-Auction
                                2015 Auction Anatomy
                                2014 Auction Anatomy
                                2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                                RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Working...
                                X