Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there a game between Pittsburgh and Miami scheduled for tomorrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    That's not the part that is arbitrary though, it's the idea of having "fantasy" teams accumulate stats just because they randomly have a player who is on a team that is tied.

Tell you what, lets do a HR derby just among friends. Everyone gets 10 swings to try to hit as many as they can. If anyone is tied they get another round of 10, seem fair?

So you hit 4, I hit 2, and our friend Joe hits 2.

In the tiebreaker between Joe and I, Joe hits 3 and I hit 4.

So our totals are me, 6, Joe 5, and you 4.

You are last place, right? Seems fair?
    I don't think your analogy is a good one. if c.yelich won the triple crown because he had a big day yesterday, would the press, mlb or its players say "nah, you had an extra game, it doesn't count"? Of course not. and how many players have 162 games played this year? the 'play in' game is luck of the draw, just like a trade from miami to colorado or an unexpected injury. if mlb counts the stats, fantasy baseball should count the stats too.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      I don't think your analogy is a good one. if c.yelich won the triple crown because he had a big day yesterday, would the press, mlb or its players say "nah, you had an extra game, it doesn't count"? Of course not. and how many players have 162 games played this year? the 'play in' game is luck of the draw, just like a trade from miami to colorado or an unexpected injury. if mlb counts the stats, fantasy baseball should count the stats too.
      It's fine to disagree, but what was wrong with the analogy? Your description about what the press would do is not relevant to our discussion, they don't care about our fantasy teams. The press however does write about the postseason. Shouldn't we include those stats? If not, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        It's fine to disagree, but what was wrong with the analogy? Your description about what the press would do is not relevant to our discussion, they don't care about our fantasy teams. The press however does write about the postseason. Shouldn't we include those stats? If not, why not?
        your analogy is poor because mlb is not playing another 162 games for only two teams.

and fantasy pools are for regular season stats. game 163 is considered regular season.

And of course it is fine to disagree, you'll seldom get 100% agreement on any topic.

Comment

your analogy is poor because mlb is not playing another 162 games for only two teams.
          It was the same number only for the purpose of analogy. When citing examples or references it's often useful to magnify the point that is being discussed relative to the control so that the relative differences can be compared without getting lost in the control set magnitude.

So dismissing the analogy simply for a magnitude issue seems odd.

And of course it is fine to disagree, you'll seldom get 100% agreement on any topic.
          You are correct.

Comment

fantasy pools are for regular season stats. game 163 is considered regular season.
            This point is worth considering for sure.

In the notrades league you are referring to above, I went back and re-ran the standings including game 163. Several individual categories changed slightly but the overall standings orders did not change. I posted the specific category changes to the league message board for reference should anyone have questions and I have the detailed breakdown of before/after in each category. Thank you for making me think of this a different way. I think either way has some validity, and I'm glad that they result in the exact same overall standings order in our leagues so we don't have to decide retroactively, which would not be fair.

Going forward I'll be including this in our constitution so there is no ambiguity.

Again thanks for the points you made here.

Comment

well, you definitely need to have the rule be clear for all owners.

and if I am understanding your philosophy, why allow stats for Game 162 - given that those with Marlins and Pirates players didn't get one? they only played 161.

"For me it's about equal footing for all teams."

are you sure that's how you feel? because if so......
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                well, you definitely need to have the rule be clear for all owners.
                Definitely - do the leagues you run have specific language for it?

and if I am understanding your philosophy, why allow stats for Game 162 - given that those with Marlins and Pirates players didn't get one? they only played 161.

"For me it's about equal footing for all teams."
                That's just silly. Obviously it is best efforts and there isn't always a remedy, but you are just trying to be contrarian with this garbage.

are you sure that's how you feel? because if so......
                Please continue oh wise one...

Comment

Working...
                X