MLB Trade Deadline deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    I love the Pirates moves this deadline, they acquired pitchers that will not only help them this year but they are also controllable with good contracts. Great way to hedge your bets.
    It really is surprising that the Pirates finally stepped up to get the top available player in Archer. They usually back away from the bidding wars and settle for the leftovers. But, i guess they really liked the 2nd and 3rd years on Archer's team friendly contract and didn't think they would get an opportunity to own another ace pitcher at that price. And Kela gives them one of their strongest bullpens in years.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Looking back on the deadline deals...the one that sticks out to me in a negative connotation is the Gausman deal - (Gausman and Darren O’Day for minor leaguers Jean Carlos Encarnacion, Brett Cumberland, Evan Phillips and Bruce Zimmermann and $2.5M international bonus money).

This one is a real head scratcher from the Baltimore POV. The Braves radically underpaid for a guy with great stuff who is controllable until 2020...you dont just trade away a talent like Gausman (albeit an inconsistent and oftentimes struggling one) just for some bonus $$ and to take the bad ODay contract off your hands. I guess his value really fell off a cliff or the Orioles were desperate. rhd or someone can correct me on the status of these prospects but I cant understand how the Orioles could not get a Gohara-level guy at least?

This trade would have been a veto-able one in fantasy leagues...unless I am just wrong, which is totally possible

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        Looking back on the deadline deals...the one that sticks out to me in a negative connotation is the Gausman deal - (Gausman and Darren O’Day for minor leaguers Jean Carlos Encarnacion, Brett Cumberland, Evan Phillips and Bruce Zimmermann and $2.5M international bonus money).

This one is a real head scratcher from the Baltimore POV.
        You are probably right. I mean, it's the Orioles after all, so this being a really bad deal is a very, very real possibility.

However, I'll take a shot at the Orioles thinking. First, Gausman, while talented, continues to trend worse, and not better. His FIP has climbed for three years straight. His K rate is down, and is also in a 3-year decline. His HR/9 is static at 1.4 - 1.5. His H/9 has risen for four straight years. His WHIP, even with his walk rate improving from last year, is still 1.38. Their conclusion could be, even though he's only 27, is that what he's done in 2017 and is doing in 2018 is roughly what he'll be going forward. So, if their projections is that he'll be a 4-4.5 ERA, 1.35 - 1.4 WHIP, 8K/9 type pitcher long term, their best shot at trade value is while he's still controllable.

Clearly, they recognized the hosed up O'Day contract could not be given away without eating a lot of money or trading something of value with him. So they decided the best move for a salary dump was packaging him with a SP that was perceived to have value.

In addition, it appears the O's have their eye on one or more players that must be funded from the International bonus pool, so the added money will give them an edge on a player or two that they believe they may have to bid up.

So, while I suspect your logic is right, and the O's seriously undersold, there may be a plan there, especially if they make a big move in the international pool.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          Looking back on the deadline deals...the one that sticks out to me in a negative connotation is the Gausman deal - (Gausman and Darren O’Day for minor leaguers Jean Carlos Encarnacion, Brett Cumberland, Evan Phillips and Bruce Zimmermann and $2.5M international bonus money).

This one is a real head scratcher from the Baltimore POV. The Braves radically underpaid for a guy with great stuff who is controllable until 2020...you dont just trade away a talent like Gausman (albeit an inconsistent and oftentimes struggling one) just for some bonus $$ and to take the bad ODay contract off your hands. I guess his value really fell off a cliff or the Orioles were desperate. rhd or someone can correct me on the status of these prospects but I cant understand how the Orioles could not get a Gohara-level guy at least?

This trade would have been a veto-able one in fantasy leagues...unless I am just wrong, which is totally possible
          I agree with you 100%.

In addition, I always find it interesting that while the Yankees and Red Sox will rarely if ever trade with each other, the other AL East inhabitants often have no issue whatsoever making deals with them. They just can't shake that loser mentality!

Comment

• Cards claim Tyson Ross off waivers from SD. Padres got nothing in return except salary relief of just $500k. WTF?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Cards claim Tyson Ross off waivers from SD. Padres got nothing in return except salary relief of just $500k. WTF?
              Real head scratcher. Not that they could get a lot for him but with some of the guys who did get moved for "something"...this is just weird.

Comment

• Lyles claimed on waivers by Brewers

anyone feel lucky on Robbie Erlin?
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  Lyles claimed on waivers by Brewers

anyone feel lucky on Robbie Erlin?
                  Absolutely not.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• well, of you YOU wouldn't feel lucky!

how about the rest of the class? has pitched very well of late and doesn't look fluky
                    but may not go deep in G for a bad team to boot
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      Real head scratcher. Not that they could get a lot for him but with some of the guys who did get moved for "something"...this is just weird.
                      Yeah, bizarre. Not even a PTBNL or even cash. Not even a box of baseballs. I'm shocked they just let him walk for nothing. I mean, they couldn’t even get a low-level prospect for him before the 7/31 deadline? They couldn’t package him with Lyles for something? Makes no sense.

Comment

• That Schoop trade paying dividends for everyone!!
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Rappin’ Fernando Rodney to the A’s

Comment

• Justin Bour to the Phillies

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Justin Bour to the Phillies
                              wow ... where will he find ABs?

feeling very lucky that I traded him last week.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                wow ... where will he find ABs?

feeling very lucky that I traded him last week.
                                Great question. He'll probably be a bat off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X