Buh Bye Hanley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buh Bye Hanley?

Alex Speier of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox will designate Hanley Ramirez for assignment.

pre emptive move for getting pinched for juicing? or something else?
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

I'd assume it's for avoiding the vesting option. I don't remember the exact details, but he gets something around $20 million additional if he gets something around 500 PAs this year.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      I'd assume it's for avoiding the vesting option. I don't remember the exact details, but he gets something around $20 million additional if he gets something around 500 PAs this year.
      Yep, that's what MLB Trade Rumors is speculating. He started off great but lately he's been ice cold. Shocking nonetheless.

Comment

Question now from a fantasy standpoint is where he goes next and how many AB he gets going forward.

Comment

The other side of this dime is Moreland: Been pretty amazing as a part-time 1B/Dh type, excellent defender, could be a nice add for those with 1B/CI needs.
          12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
          1B-Cron
          2B- Villar
          SS- Andrus
          3B-Baez
          MI-L. Gurriel
          CI- Y.Gurriel
          OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
          UTIL- Benintendi
          BENCH: Pence, Dyson
          SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
          RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
          IL: Buxton

Comment

wow. they will still owe him over $15M for the remainder of this year.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              wow. they will still owe him over $15M for the remainder of this year.
              Sunk cost.

Comment

he has a $22M vesting option if he gets his playing time. Nobody is going to trade for him, so they'll allow him to be waived so Boston is on the hook for the contract. I would assume the vesting option goes to the new team.

Also, LOL that they still owe $35M to Rusney Castillo

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Sunk cost.
                  Hope Jays do this with Morales #FreeVladJr

C- J.McCann
                  1B-Cron
                  2B- Villar
                  SS- Andrus
                  3B-Baez
                  MI-L. Gurriel
                  CI- Y.Gurriel
                  UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    he has a $22M vesting option if he gets his playing time. Nobody is going to trade for him, so they'll allow him to be waived so Boston is on the hook for the contract. I would assume the vesting option goes to the new team.

Man I worry about the clubhouse. Hanley was loved. Guess Sox figured releasing him outright was better than Cora having to bench him as he approached that VO, which the Sox were NEVER going let him attain.

C- J.McCann
                    1B-Cron
                    2B- Villar
                    SS- Andrus
                    3B-Baez
                    MI-L. Gurriel
                    CI- Y.Gurriel
                    UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Actually, I don't think he vests unless he gets the ABs/PAs with Boston. Ken's right about the other $15 million being sunk cost, and in reality, that's business risk money for Boston.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

heard today that Hanley needs about 300 more AB this season to get to the 1,050 over 2 seasons that he needs.
                        no one will trade for him, because to avoid the vesting, you can't play him every day. and if you can't play him every day, why are you paying him $15 rest of season?
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          heard today that Hanley needs about 300 more AB this season to get to the 1,050 over 2 seasons that he needs.
                          no one will trade for him, because to avoid the vesting, you can't play him every day. and if you can't play him every day, why are you paying him $15 rest of season?
                          Another angle to look at this, if he was good enough to be worth his current contract, then a team that is obviously in the playoff picture would not be releasing him.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Actually, I don't think he vests unless he gets the ABs/PAs with Boston. Ken's right about the other $15 million being sunk cost, and in reality, that's business risk money for Boston.
                            The vesting option only carries over in the old contract, so a team would need to deal for him. He would sign a new contract at the MLB minimum with any new team.

If the vesting carried over, any team that claims him would make damn sure it vested!

Comment

And $41M to Pablo
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X