No announcement yet.

Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Marlins owner Wayne Huizenga died at age 80. RIP.

Comment

• Rusty Staub, “Le Grande Orange,” died today at age 73.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Rusty Staub, “Le Grande Orange,” died today at age 73.
        Fangraphs did a nice tribute.

You have to admire a guy that is an All Star baseball player and a better cook.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Davey Nelson, All-Star infielder for the Rangers and then an announcer for the Brewers, died at age 73. RIP.

Comment

• Sachio Kinugasa, Japan Leagues player, died April 23. He was born in 1947. He played in 2,215 consecutive games, which was the "world" record for a while before Ripken surpassed it, and still is the Japanese record. He had an African-American father and a Japanese mother. I always thought it was interesting that 2 of Japan's most famous players were not ethnically 100% Japanese, as Sadaharu Oh, the all-time HR leader, also was half Chinese.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by rhd; 08-03-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Kison, a pitcher who helped the Pittsburgh Pirates win the World Series in 1971 and 1979 and spent three decades in player development and scouting roles, has died of cancer. He was 68.

His wife, Anna Marie, said Kison died Saturday at the Tidewell Hospice in Bradenton, Florida, near his home. He had been diagnosed with renal cancer on Feb. 14.

Kison won Game 4 of the 1971 World Series - the first night game in World Series history - when he threw 6 1/3 scoreless innings of one-hit relief against Baltimore as a rookie, allowing only a bloop double to Paul Blair. He started and lost the 1979 opener against the Orioles, getting just one out and giving up five runs. He had a 5-1 record and 1.98 ERA in 10 postseason appearances, including four starts.

Comment

• Albert Fred "Red" Schoendienst (shane deenst), 10x All Star and HoF 2B/OF of the Cardinals and later the Braves. As a HoF player, he's about where you draw the line--and he might be under it. Veteran's Committee inductee in 1989. A good deal of his appeal may be his managing the 1967 and 1968 Pennant winning Cardinals. Before his death, he was the oldest HoF player still living.

This is someone my wife met several times and knew slightly from her childhood in St Louis. My father in law was a bat boy for the Cards and kept close contact with the team his whole life. Judith once had four owner's box tickets to game 6 of the 1968 World Series. She didn't go, but got suspended anyway, because the girls she gave the tickets to got caught. Catholic schools, what can you do? I just wish I had the ticket stub.

J
                Last edited by onejayhawk; 06-07-2018, 01:03 AM.
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Longtime NL umpire Dutch Rennert died at age 88.

Longtime Yankee pitching coach and executive Billy Connors died at age 76.

Comment

• Wasn't Dutch Rennart the guy who called strikes louder and longer than any other umpire? If i remember correctly, when he was working homeplate it sounded like he was in the booth with the announcers during the radio broadcast.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      Wasn't Dutch Rennart the guy who called strikes louder and longer than any other umpire? If i remember correctly, when he was working homeplate it sounded like he was in the booth with the announcers during the radio broadcast.
                      Laurence “Dutch” Rennert, a National League umpire from 1974–1992, has passed away at the age of 88. You might not even know his name! You know his strikeout call:
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• I see now where Enrico Palazzo got his inspiration!

Comment

• Haha! That brought back some good memories. Thanks!
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Former Red Sox swingman Vaughn Eshelman died on July 24 at just age 49. He had a liver transplant earlier this year. RIP.

Comment

• I just learned today that Tony Cloninger died on July 24. He pitched in the 60's and early 70's, mostly for the Braves but also the Reds and Cardinals. The feat he is most remembered for is that he once hit 2 grand slams in 1 game, the only MLB pitcher ever to do so before or since and I dont think anyone will ever do this in MLB again. He also had 1 other RBI n that game for a total of 9, which still is the Braves record for RBI in a game. He was a pretty good pitcher, also, winning 24 games in 1965. He also started Game 3 of the 1970 WS for the Reds against the Orioles, which he lost.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by rhd; 08-03-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Billy O'Dell, who won 105 games with 4 clubs primarily in the 1960s, and a key Vintage Draft player, died at age 85. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X