No announcement yet.

Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Bailey, who played for the Dodgers, Expos & Reds over a 17-yr career, died at age 75.

Comment

• Hall of Fame umpire Doug Harvey died at age 87.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Hall of Fame umpire Doug Harvey died at age 87.
        Pretty significant downgrade to the likes of Angel Hernandez.

Comment

• "Baseball legend Roy Halladay had amphetamines, morphine and traces of a drug used to treat insomnia in his system when he was killed after crashing his private plane into the Gulf of Mexico last year, an autopsy report has revealed.

The report, obtained by the Daily News, states that morphine was found in Halladay's system and while that could indicate heroin use, there's no definite indication that he had used the drug.

Traces of amphetamines and large quantities — 72 ng/mL — of Zolpidem, a drug used to treat insomnia, were also found in the former MLB player's system. Any amount over 50 ng/ml of Zolpidem "appears capable of impairing driving to a degree that increases the risk of a motor vehicle accident," according to the FDA's website.

Halladay, whose official cause of death was blunt trauma and drowning, according to the report, suffered a subdural hemorrhage, multiple rib fractures, and lung, liver and spleen injuries in the crash."
          Baseball legend Roy Halladay had amphetamines, morphine and traces of a drug used to treat insomnia in his system when he was killed after crashing his private plane into the Gulf of Mexico last ye…

Comment

• Former Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins pitcher Marcos Carvajal died in his native Venezuela of pneumonia that baseball colleagues say was made worse by medicine shortages in the crisis-wracked nation.

He pitched for the Rockies in 2005 and briefly for the Marlins two seasons later. He later returned to Venezuela and played for a team in his hometown of Ciudad Bolivar and at the time of his death was working as a youth coach in Bolivar state. He was 34.

Comment

Former Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins pitcher Marcos Carvajal died in his native Venezuela of pneumonia that baseball colleagues say was made worse by medicine shortages in the crisis-wracked nation.

He pitched for the Rockies in 2005 and briefly for the Marlins two seasons later. He later returned to Venezuela and played for a team in his hometown of Ciudad Bolivar and at the time of his death was working as a youth coach in Bolivar state. He was 34.

Venezuela is a freakin' tragedy beyond description. I'll save the political for the Sports Bar, but I'm downgrading every player that has family in Venezuela by 10-20%. There's almost no way they can't be wracked with worry almost daily.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Oscar Gamble, who had a 17-year career and was the owner of perhaps the greatest afro in baseball history, died of cancer at age 68. RIP.

Comment

• Just now learning that former MLB OFer Al Luplow died on 12/28 at age 78. He played for the Indians, Mets and Pirates from '61-'67. He is the great uncle of current prospect Jordan Luplow who got a cup of coffee w the Pirates in 2017.

Comment

• Wally Moon, the 1954 Rookie of the Year who ended up having a 12-year career, played for three Dodger title teams, and hit .289 with 142 HRs, died at age 87. RIP.

Comment

Wally Moon, the 1954 Rookie of the Year who ended up having a 12-year career, played for three Dodger title teams, and hit .289 with 142 HRs, died at age 87. RIP.

I loved Wally Moon, his name, his outstanding unibrow and everything about him. RIP Wally!

Comment

• Tito Francona, who played for nine different teams from 1956-70 has died at the age of 84. He's also the father of current Indians manager Terry Francona. RIP Tito.

Last edited by madducks; 02-15-2018, 07:36 AM.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Jack Hamilton, who had an 8-year career and finished with a 32-40 record and 4.53 ERA, but is best known for throwing the pitch that ended Tony Conigliaro's career, died at age 79.

Attached Files

Comment

• Former MLB pitcher Sammy Stewart died on 3/2. Pitched mostly in the pen and mostly for the Orioles but also briefly for Boston and Cleveland. I have fond memories of him and he was on the 1983 world champion team.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                              Former MLB pitcher Sammy Stewart died on 3/2. Pitched mostly in the pen and mostly for the Orioles but also briefly for Boston and Cleveland. I have fond memories of him and he was on the 1983 world champion team.

Damn, I remember Sammy. Had no idea he had drug/prison issues after baseball. The card I added to your post I must have gotten in every pack in 1980!

Comment

• Legendary college baseball manager Augie Garrido died at age 79. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X