No announcement yet.

2018 Mixed LABR draft is tonight (2/13)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Mixed LABR draft is tonight (2/13)

Follow along here - https://rtsports.com/labr-mixed-draft

If you don't see this until tomorrow, you can see the results from that same link

Scott Pianowski of Yahoo through 8 rounds has NO pitchers...and not a ton of speed. I can't see the strategy here...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

11 rounds now for Pianowski, still no pitchers and no appreciable speed. I just don't get it.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Scott Pianowski of Yahoo through 8 rounds has NO pitchers...and not a ton of speed. I can't see the strategy here...
        through 11 and no change

Comment

11 rounds now for Pianowski, still no pitchers and no appreciable speed. I just don't get it.
          I think it is pretty clear that his strategy is to do something wacky, because it will make for interesting articles whether it works or fails (which it will barring lots of trading).

Really digging team Collete/Sporer. Getting Kluber and Bryant with that 14th pick is a great opening duo imo. Like Zola's team so far as well.

Edit: Too much info to digest yet, but I'm shocked that Hoskins went three rounds earlier than Sano, to the same owner. I guess I hadn't realized how big the Hoskins bandwagon was. Personally, unless it was a keeper league, I'd take at least a couple of corners who went after Hoskins ahead of him, like Abreu and Encarnacion.

It also surprises me that Domingo Santana went as early as he did. That selection seems to assume he will get traded into a full time role somewhere, which is a fair assumption. He could still get 450+ ABs if he stays with the Brewers, but that is a gamble.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-13-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Teheran and Andrew Miller as your only pitchers through 14

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I think it is pretty clear that his strategy is to do something wacky, because it will make for interesting articles whether it works or fails (which it will barring lots of trading).

Really digging team Collete/Sporer. Getting Kluber and Bryant with that 14th pick is a great opening duo imo. Like Zola's team so far as well.
              Which is why "experts" drafts are sometimes annoying, there's really nothing that anyone can learn from his draft, other than to not try to follow his lead.

I like Tim McCloud's draft too...really well balanced, IMO.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Which is why "experts" drafts are sometimes annoying, there's really nothing that anyone can learn from his draft, other than to not try to follow his lead.

I like Tim McCloud's draft too...really well balanced, IMO.
                Agree. Jason's Kluber/Bryant start was pretty salty as well and they have stayed balanced.

Comment

Edit: Too much info to digest yet, but I'm shocked that Hoskins went three rounds earlier than Sano, to the same owner. I guess I hadn't realized how big the Hoskins bandwagon was. Personally, unless it was a keeper league, I'd take at least a couple of corners who went after Hoskins ahead of him, like Abreu and Encarnacion.

It also surprises me that Domingo Santana went as early as he did. That selection seems to assume he will get traded into a full time role somewhere, which is a fair assumption. He could still get 450+ ABs if he stays with the Brewers, but that is a gamble.

That's definitely not his play. In fact, he's very outspoken about dudes that do that but he always explains what he does after his drafts

Comment

So, tell me why you drafted Bundy and why I should like him. Because I do, but I am very afraid. If I keep him, he's locked in my lineup all year.

Comment

I'm surprised SK rge Soled didn't get taken in the draft. He is a guy I would have taken a flyer on in the last round.

Comment

I'm surprised SK rge Soled didn't get taken in the draft. He is a guy I would have taken a flyer on in the last round.
                        To be frank... I'm not.

Mixed league draft with only 6 bench spots. Players like Cameron Mabyin, Trevor Williams, Collin McHugh were taken in the last round.

Soler doesn't have a role on an MLB team, AND he doesn't have a history of putting up stats. The combination of those makes him far, far down the list even from the 29th round in that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          To be frank... I'm not.

Mixed league draft with only 6 bench spots. Players like Cameron Mabyin, Trevor Williams, Collin McHugh were taken in the last round.

Soler doesn't have a role on an MLB team, AND he doesn't have a history of putting up stats. The combination of those makes him far, far down the list even from the 29th round in that setup.
                          I have no idea how you rightly knew I was talking about Soler given the gibberish my tablet's autocorrect turned Soler into. Shame on me for not catching that.

That out of the way, I agree there are safer bets, but as evident from the picks of some minor leaguers who have no guarantee of ABs before the all star break, there are some upside chasers in the league. Given that fact, I am surprised none of those risk takers went with a former top prospect who will be given an opportunity to earn ABs from day one. The Royals will be keen to show that trading Davis to get Soler won't go down as an embarrassingly bad deal, so I do think he will be given a shot this spring to earn substantial ABs.

He might not capitalize on that opportunity, but one of the biggest knocks on him has been a lack of focus and dedication to his profession. He may finally be taking his job more seriously, based on the work he has put in to get in shape and rework his swing, which could mean he finally starts delivering on his initial promise. He isn't a great bet, but he squeezes into my top 285 based on upside. If he doesn't show well in ST, one can easily find a decent bench player on the waiver wire in a 15 team mixed league.

I realize lots of crappy players talk a big game in the preseason, but I was more swayed by what Dayton Moore was quoted as saying in the article linked to above:

“He just needs to be in a situation to play every single day,” Moore said. “His offseason has been terrific. … It’s all in there. The talent is there. We believe in him a great deal.”
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-14-2018, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            That's definitely not his play. In fact, he's very outspoken about dudes that do that but he always explains what he does after his drafts
                            I tweeted him after the 11th round and this was his answer:

scott pianowski

Verified account

@scott_pianowski
                            4h4 hours ago

More

Replying to @Peino @Jeff_Erickson @DougDennis41

I would be fine with pitching in any round, but early, I'm never forcing it. If I don't like the early arm, I will default to a hitter every time.
                            That's all well and good, but in the end he's basically punting 3 categories with this strategy...in a league with 150 possible points if you win EVERY category, he's starting with a possibility of roughly 115 points. That's if he wins or finishes 2nd in every other category, and gets a few points in wins, K's, and saves. Check my math...I'm lousy at it.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

While I like the Collette/Sporer combo, I love Lord Zola's team. That's a team built to win - really solid hitting, good RPs, and risk but very high upside SPs.

I like what Ray Murphy did, too.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X