No announcement yet.

2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No clarity provided by the Phillies' pen tonite. Meltdown by Tommy Hunter in the 7th. Handed a 2-run lead, he allows 2 inherited runners to score (blowing the win for my guy!) then gives up 2 runs of his own to fall behind. Then, after tying it up again, Sir Anthony gives up a solo HR to fall behind again, altho he K'ed 2. Uncertainty also on the Cards' side, as Hicks blew the save, then got the win, also pitching the 9th instead of being lifted for Norris. Are they starting to trust Hicks more than Norris?

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
      Are they starting to trust Hicks more than Norris?
      It's clearly a case of two relievers trending in opposite directions, but I think it's a mighty stretch to anoint Hicks as anything more than a growing commodity. That said, if you can get him, you probably should.

Comment

• blowing a 2-run lead, even off inherited runners, is a bad look for Hicks. BUT the Cards won anyway, which helps per the MGR.

we have talked earlier in the thread about Hicks. STL seems too smart to let him get 35 SV for 3-4 years and then get rich in arbitration. unless MLB has solved that issue, it's both smarter and cheaper to have guys like him and Hader in crucial roles but without the sexy SV total.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• SF leads 6-3, Melancon gets the 7th, WSmith (!) gets the 8th and 2 batters in the 9th
          then Dyson on for a 1-batter game-ending DP

short-term, get Dyson. but Melancon looms

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            No clarity provided by the Phillies' pen tonite. Meltdown by Tommy Hunter in the 7th. Handed a 2-run lead, he allows 2 inherited runners to score (blowing the win for my guy!) then gives up 2 runs of his own to fall behind. Then, after tying it up again, Sir Anthony gives up a solo HR to fall behind again, altho he K'ed 2. Uncertainty also on the Cards' side, as Hicks blew the save, then got the win, also pitching the 9th instead of being lifted for Norris. Are they starting to trust Hicks more than Norris?
            I watched this one live, and that pitch by Sir Anthony to Carpenter was actually a really good pitch. 98mph in a pretty good location. Just one of those times when you have to tip your cap to the hitter.

I believe Norris was projected not to pitch last night due to prior usage, but they do seem to be gaining confidence in Hicks who, obviously, is more a part of their future than Norris is going to be. Hicks' stuff looked electric, although there were a couple pitches that he clearly had no idea where they were going and bounce reeeeally far from the strike zone. He'll need to reign that in but now that he's mixing in off-speed stuff better, he's going to be virtually unhittable if he can reign in his control just a weeeeee bit more. The 2-run double he gave up was on a 1-2 pitch and wasn't the worst pitch in the world, but he probably got a touch too much of the plate with it.

Comment

• Sir Anthony was warming up in the home bottom of 8 when they were down. He was coming in whether they were losing, tied, or leading. He looked great and yes even on the HR by Carpenter on a 0-2 count.

His usage is different than Bradley and Hader although he is pretty much a clone. Philly doesn't have an "established closer" like Arizona and Milwaukee so save opps should be more frequent. Apparently Kapler has a major crush on Neshek and it really wouldn't be surprising to see him take the 9th when he comes back and give Sir a good test in the 8th inning this year.

Comment

• yes, Kapler's comments on Neshek - a 37-year-old who has yet to pitch for him and who has 8 career SV - are curious. I bought Neshek for a buck at auction and will try to shoehorn him in when he returns.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Morrow to DL. Who would you grab: Cishek, Strop, Wilson? A Joe Maddon closer buffet?
                  12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                  1B-Cron
                  2B- Villar
                  SS- Andrus
                  3B-Baez
                  MI-L. Gurriel
                  CI- Y.Gurriel
                  OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                  UTIL- Benintendi
                  BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                  SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                  RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                  IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                    Morrow to DL. Who would you grab: Cishek, Strop, Wilson? A Joe Maddon closer buffet?
                    I'd grab Maddon himself, think outside the box!
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                      Morrow to DL. Who would you grab: Cishek, Strop, Wilson? A Joe Maddon closer buffet?
                      Will it matter much long term? Gotta think the Cubs will be shopping for a new closer sooner or later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Will it matter much long term? Gotta think the Cubs will be shopping for a new closer sooner or later.
                        Why? I'm pretty sure Morrow will be back very soon and he's been pretty damn good.

Comment

• It's been nearly a month since we last discussed the Toronto closer situation, but with Osuna's prosecution unlikely to resolve any time soon, it's been starting to look less like a closer-by-committee and more like Ryan Tepera's job, although the trade deadline could change that in a hurry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Morrow has been fantastic as a reliever and is under contract for two more seasons, so I don't see a need for them to shop for one.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Morrow has been fantastic as a reliever and is under contract for two more seasons, so I don't see a need for them to shop for one.
                              Thanks...I hadn't followed Morrow. I didn't realize he was doing that well.

Comment

• Dyson today against the Marlins, with a three run lead: single, K, ground rule double, sac fly, single, single, pulled with two runs in and the tying run on second. Moronta in to close it with a K.

Watson pitched the 7th, Blach the 8th.
                                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X