No announcement yet.

2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very shaky save by Jared Hughes tonite. Given only a 1-run lead but he loads the bases w/o getting an out before a FO at home, then a line drive DP to end the game. Iglesias probably is back soon anyway but a tenuous hold on the temporary closer's job.

Comment

• And Luis Garcia gets the save for the Phillies today...a regular, 9th inning save, starts the 9th, and finishes it. Good luck everybody...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• There is no clear cut closer in Philly right now. Apparenty Kapler is using the Goose Egg Theory in how he handles his bullpen.

A relief pitcher records a goose egg for each inning in which:

It’s the seventh inning or later.
        At the time the pitcher faces his first batter of the inning:
        His team leads by no more than two runs, or
        The score is tied, or
        The tying run is on base or at bat.
        No runs (earned or unearned) are charged to the pitcher in the inning and no inherited runners score while the pitcher is in the game. And
        The pitcher either:
        Records three outs (one inning pitched), or
        Records at least one out, and the number of outs recorded plus the number of inherited runners totals at least three.
        You can also be charged with a broken egg if 1. You could have gotten a goose egg if you had recorded enough outs, or 2. The pitcher does not close out the win for his team.

Here is article: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...-20180525.html

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
          There is no clear cut closer in Philly right now. Apparenty Kapler is using the Goose Egg Theory in how he handles his bullpen.

A relief pitcher records a goose egg for each inning in which:

It’s the seventh inning or later.
          At the time the pitcher faces his first batter of the inning:
          His team leads by no more than two runs, or
          The score is tied, or
          The tying run is on base or at bat.
          No runs (earned or unearned) are charged to the pitcher in the inning and no inherited runners score while the pitcher is in the game. And
          The pitcher either:
          Records three outs (one inning pitched), or
          Records at least one out, and the number of outs recorded plus the number of inherited runners totals at least three.
          You can also be charged with a broken egg if 1. You could have gotten a goose egg if you had recorded enough outs, or 2. The pitcher does not close out the win for his team.

Here is article: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...-20180525.html
          New Roto category for 2019. Goose Eggs in honor of Gossage.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
            New Roto category for 2019. Goose Eggs in honor of Gossage.
            He had "broken eggs" when he faced Gibson in the 84 WS. BTW Vin Scully made the call.

Interesting Gossage's stats. He had only 2 years with over 30 saves. He had IP 224 which was the time he was a starting pitcher. He had 4 years as a closer where pitched over 100. Also had 2 in the 90s.

Comment

• Gossage also had 10+ W in relief 4 times
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Gossage also had 10+ W in relief 4 times
                Career 124 wins 310 saves.

Comment

• This may be a bit out of place here but worth posting somewhere. Austin Pruitt of TB, who definitely is not a closer, got a 5.7 inning save today. This was possible because of the way Tampa is using their relievers to start games. Romo went the first 0.3 innings, then Nuno, another reliever, pitched the next 3 innings, during which TB took the lead thus becoming eligible for the W, and Pruitt pitched the last 5.7 IP in scoreless fashion. I dont recall ever seeing this before; normally, the longest save would be 4.0 IP. But longer saves could happen several more times if TB continues this practice.
                  Last edited by rhd; 05-27-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Tepera with his second save in as many TOR wins.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Another shaky outing for Knebel today but got the save. Had a 2-run lead, gave up a leadoff HR, issued a BB but got 3 outs, including 2 Ks. I'm paying close attention since I have him.

Comment

• got home just in time to see Knebel start the 9th ahead, 3-1 (Jeffress with a scoreless 8th, which is automatic)

the good: punched out strong ACabrera and Conforto for the last 2 outs for the SV

the bad: a little wobbly early, and walked Rosario which is hard to do

the ugly: Mesoraco hit a BOMB to dead center to lead off the inning that should be landing in downtown Milwaukee any minute now

Forecast: partly cloudy with no chance of showers just yet

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Felipe Vazquez complaining of forearm tightness after blowing another save. I blame it on the name change. And setup man Michael Feliz has looked terrible his last 3 games. So, if Vazquez is hurt, we could be looking at a committee of Richard Rodriguez, Edgar Santana, Kyle Crick, and maybe Tyler Glasnow.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• yes, I would guess committee in PIT at first - but Santana has a leverage edge. might be the hunch play.
                            Last edited by Judge Jude; 05-27-2018, 07:28 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Vasquez avoiding DL

meanwhile, the last-place team has a lame duck Jansen and he'd love to get a cheap closer back.
                              I have by far the most logical one in Knebel 2-S1. assuming all goes well, he'd have him next year at 7-L2 and then in 2020 at 12-L1 (that's as far as it goes, no penalty if dropped after 2019, and in grim scenario he could dump him in the offseason or keep at 2-O).

of course I'd need more. his other lame ducks are Bryant, Lamb, Schwarber, and Schebler. my OF is deep for this year (Willliamson about to replace DLd Cordero and Eaton on the mend), so might be a challenge to dump a total cipher. Bryant flexibility appealing, but this guy is very hard to trade with.

other complication is I have a 23-HR lead over 2nd place. I need AVG (and W, but best he can offer there is Quintana).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                Vasquez avoiding DL
                                His sister must have told him he wasn't hurt. I'll believe it when he pitches a clean inning.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X