No announcement yet.

McCutchen to the Giants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the Pirates really dumping everyone, or just select parts? To me this does not look like the scorched Earth we saw in Philadelphia. More like the Fish selling off a Championship team. They got decent return on both these deals, from players that would not be staying in any event.

The Steelers bit sucks if you like feetsball.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Are the Pirates really dumping everyone, or just select parts? To me this does not look like the scorched Earth we saw in Philadelphia. More like the Fish selling off a Championship team. They got decent return on both these deals, from players that would not be staying in any event.

The Steelers bit sucks if you like feetsball.

J
      They just extended Rivero so I think they're retooling rather than burning it all down. Other than J-Hey I think they probably keep what they've got. Well, I guess Freese could go if anyone wanted him.

I hate this deal for the Pirates. They basically get nothing (Crick is MAYBE an 8th inning reliever) for the face of the franchise. They save their $15mil but I have zero faith that they'll reinvest that money into the team. I understand the urge to deal away Cutch if you're not re-signing him. I just don't see the point in pissing in the fans' wheaties for such a small return. The Giants' farm system isn't even good and yet the Pirates didn't get any of their top players. Which is fair - Cutch doesn't have a lot of surplus value. I just don't know why they bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        They just extended Rivero so I think they're retooling rather than burning it all down. Other than J-Hey I think they probably keep what they've got. Well, I guess Freese could go if anyone wanted him.

I hate this deal for the Pirates. They basically get nothing (Crick is MAYBE an 8th inning reliever) for the face of the franchise. They save their $15mil but I have zero faith that they'll reinvest that money into the team. I understand the urge to deal away Cutch if you're not re-signing him. I just don't see the point in pissing in the fans' wheaties for such a small return. The Giants' farm system isn't even good and yet the Pirates didn't get any of their top players. Which is fair - Cutch doesn't have a lot of surplus value. I just don't know why they bothered.
        I know. They should have just let Cutch play out the season instead of selling low. None of their OF prospects seem ready yet. And if Cutch has a great first half, then you can sell high(er) at the trade deadline.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          I know. They should have just let Cutch play out the season instead of selling low. None of their OF prospects seem ready yet. And if Cutch has a great first half, then you can sell high(er) at the trade deadline.
          But then Nutting would have to pay the entire Salary if cutch stayed all year.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            But then Nutting would have to pay the entire Salary if cutch stayed all year.
            He paid it last year and still turned a profit.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              He paid it last year and still turned a profit.
              Duh. He will make MORE profit now!!
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
              X