Luke Warm Stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    That's true, which is why they have other corner OFers on the roster. Choo/Calhoun.
    All are Michael Jackson, no?

There is also Ryan Rua if they want to rest a LH bat. Does Jurickson Profar earn time out there with his glove?

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-08-2018, 09:22 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      That's true, which is why they have other corner OFers on the roster. Choo/Calhoun.
      Which is why Mazara will play mostly in RF (like he did last year) and Calhoun, Rua, Profar, and Choo (when he doesn't DH) can play LF. Calhoun has some upside, for sure, but compared to most teams LF situation, the Rangers sure looks like a black hole by comparison.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Twins supposedly have made a formal offer to Darvish.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Which is why Mazara will play mostly in RF (like he did last year) and Calhoun, Rua, Profar, and Choo (when he doesn't DH) can play LF. Calhoun has some upside, for sure, but compared to most teams LF situation, the Rangers sure looks like a black hole by comparison.
          There is always risk with prospects not meeting expectations when jumping to the majors (it is a big leap), but I too like Calhoun as a hitter, so if I'm the Rangers, I'm focusing resources on upgrading elsewhere. They are paying Choo so much, they have to play him at LF or preferrably DH, so Calhoun would be completely blocked if they signed someone else for LF. Calhoun has the upside as a hitter that they really should see what they have with him, instead of signing someone to block him, as he is ready to show what he can do. The Rangers may disagree, and as a Rangers fan, maybe Ken has a take on Calhoun different from my own as an outsider just looking at his stats and footage of him hitting. He looks like a legit hitter to me, although not a good fielder in LF (but still probably better than Choo).

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Calhoun has the upside as a hitter that they really should see what they have with him, instead of signing someone to block him, as he is ready to show what he can do. The Rangers may disagree, and as a Rangers fan, maybe Ken has a take on Calhoun different from my own as an outsider just looking at his stats and footage of him hitting. He looks like a legit hitter to me, although not a good fielder in LF (but still probably better than Choo).
            Not much talk going on about Calhoun. And honestly the Rangers are a relatively quiet franchise from the front office perspective. You don't hear many rumors before a big change, they are pretty tight lipped.

I think we'll know more based on what happens in the next few weeks. They don't have a team to compete, so unless they make a lot of moves it makes more sense for them to trot out their youth and take the lumps this year, hoping for improvement. Definitely not a full rebuild like Miami but they are going through the inevitable dip now that the previous core is aging out.

Comment

• You know it’s a very slow hot stove when a report says “multiple sources say”....the Blue Jays have signed John Axford. The paparazzi has little to do.

Comment

• Well, just for fun while consuming adult beverages last night, thought I'd give this a shot:

Top 12 FAs still available:

1. Yu Darvish – Clearly, he has offers on the table. My take is he really wants to go back to LA, and while the Dodgers like him, but they will not go into salary cap hell to get him. Main question will be whether Darvish and the Dodgers can come up with an innovative back-end loaded contract to make it work, or if Yu will take a 4 or 5-year deal with a lesser team. Of the big names, I think he’ll cut a deal as I don’t think he wants to hold out of much/any Spring Training.
                2. JD Martinez – He’s between the Scylla and Charybdis with what appears to be similar offers from his two preferred teams, both of which he deems unacceptable. Given the humidor talk in Arizona, if I were his agent, I’d be pointing him away from the DBacks as quickly as possible. There’s no other big-spending team that has the combination of needing a defensively challenged LF/DH and is willing to ploink down over 5 years at $25 mil per. I can easily see him extending his hold out and waiting for a team to cave. I think he’ll be disappointed.
                3. Eric Hosmer – If he really has two offers at 7/$140 mil (or more) on the table, he should have taken them already. He’s never slugged .500. Only driven in 100 once. Never hit more than 25 HR in a season. Has one OPS+ over 125. Yes, he’s coming into his prime years. And yes, he’s a fantastic defender at 1B. But I can easily see him getting screwed by holding out – a number of teams with CI needs may just well settle for much lower budget people like Moose, LoMo, Reynolds, and Nunez and move on, and he’ll be left holding the bag. Of the top players, he’s the one, IMO, living in the highest rent district of Delusionland.
                4. Jake Arrieta – he’s living near Hosmer, but a floor or two down. I think he realizes he’s not going to get the years he wants, but believes he’s worth much more per year than he’s being offered. Teams can see all the alarming signs we can, and there’s no way they’ll pay ace coin for what appears to be a #3/4 SP arm right now.
                5. Alex Cobb – I thought he’d get more action, as while there’s alarm bells with him, they’re not as bright and loud as Arrieta, nor do I think he’d cost as much. I know spin rate is an issue, and command a bit of an issue, but it appears he’s back and healthy after Tommy John. If he’ll settle for four years, I think a mid-tier team that has playoff aspirations will sign him.
                6. Greg Holland – the impasse here appears to be he’s asking for more than high end MR money, and teams aren’t willing to cross that river. Given his health issues, walk rate and 2nd half dropoff, I’m inclined to believe that won’t change. If he’s not willing to settle for something in the 3/24 to 4/28 range, he could be waiting a loooooong time.
                7. Mike Moustakas – the silence is deafening on Moose, and I don’t get it. Yes, he’s not the defensive stud that Hosmer is. OTOH, he has proven he can hit for legitimate power in a stadium that’s not exactly a power-hitters park. I’m not hearing any silliness about asking for an eight or nine-year contract, either. I can think of four teams off the top of my head that he could help significantly.
                8. Lance Lynn – OK, I get this one. Red flags all over the place. I’d not be surprised if he has to settle for a one or two year “make good” deal. He doesn’t want to. Reality may not hit until well into March.
                9. Jonathan Lucroy – You picked a bad time to suck, Lucroy. And in a favorable hitting venue in Texas. Teams have to be wondering if a 32-year old catcher with a fair amount of mileage still has it, and while they might be willing to cough up a one or two-year deal to find out, I’d be doubtful of a longer deal unless the cost per year is much less than expected.
                10. Logan Morrison – Inverse of Lucroy – previous multi-year disappointment goes berserk in Tampa Bay, a location not exactly known as a power-hitting haven. Sacrificed contact for power, worked incredibly well in the first half, only OK in second half. Seems ancient, but is only 30. Storied injury history and one-year wonder factor play against him, in addition to a, um, potentially distracting personality. If I were his agent, I’d be trying to land a 3-4 year deal before Hosmer comes to his senses.
                11. Eduardo Nunez – Wants to start. Most teams want him as a super-utility guy. He’s probably the player least influenced by other signings due to his unique flexibility. If I were a betting man, I’d pick him as the next significant FA to sign.
                12. Tony Watson – Yeah, he’s not a closer. But he’d be a useful MR piece for just about anyone, as when he’s right, he’s a groundball machine. Won’t get big MR money, but I believe someone will give him 2-3 years at $3-4 mil per.

Comment

• Story ripping borass...and the comment section does not disagree...

The blame for this winter’s slow market rests on the very people who are most loudly pointing fingers elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    Story ripping borass...and the comment section does not disagree...

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2018...ny-clark-mlbpa
                    More like whining to me. While I agree with a number of the writer's concepts - I've noted in other posts that both Hosmer and JD Martinez are living at some levels of Delusionland, especially Hosmer - Boras has a pretty solid (not 100%, but pretty solid) track record of getting top coin for his clients.

Given your level of distaste for Scott Boras, I figure you'd be happy about this. It's most likely this year will be the year a number of his clients either have to settle or hold out, which will significantly impact his negotiating leverage in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      More like whining to me. While I agree with a number of the writer's concepts - I've noted in other posts that both Hosmer and JD Martinez are living at some levels of Delusionland, especially Hosmer - Boras has a pretty solid (not 100%, but pretty solid) track record of getting top coin for his clients.

Given your level of distaste for Scott Boras, I figure you'd be happy about this. It's most likely this year will be the year a number of his clients either have to settle or hold out, which will significantly impact his negotiating leverage in the future.
                      It is true I have a distaste for boras.

That said, the next boras free agent client who signs heading into 2018 shall be the first.

And considering today is February 12, pitchers and catchers are a couple of days away, and his stable includes 6 or 7 of the top 10 free agents entering this off-season, players should be worried.
                      Last edited by Art Vandelay; 02-12-2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• As we enter ST week 2, I’m shocked at how many free agents are still out there. OK, I can understand Jake Arrieta, who is probably seeking a contract with terms greater than his actual value. But Lance Lynn? Alex Cobb? WTF?

Mike Moustakas is still a free agent, as is Jonathan Lucroy. This is insanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          As we enter ST week 2, I’m shocked at how many free agents are still out there. OK, I can understand Jake Arrieta, who is probably seeking a contract with terms greater than his actual value. But Lance Lynn? Alex Cobb? WTF?

Mike Moustakas is still a free agent, as is Jonathan Lucroy. This is insanity.
                          At what point does Moose start getting marked down on draft boards. Does missing half of ST equate to a lost April (even May)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                            At what point does Moose start getting marked down on draft boards. Does missing half of ST equate to a lost April (even May)?
                            I'm more worried about the pitchers. Veteran hitters, assuming they're in shape, I think will be good to go very quickly after signing if they're in a Potemkin training camp.

Comment

• Timmy to the Rangers.

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                                Wow...the rangers could have a historically bad pitching staff this year. Worse than the Marlins last year even.

Comment

Working...
                                X