• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Sporting News:

2012-13 offseason
    — 134 November transactions
    — 196 December transactions
    — 48 January transactions (through Jan. 7)
    378 total transactions

2017-18 offseason
    — 60 November transactions
    — 128 December transactions
    — 10 January transactions (through Jan. 7)
    198 total transactions

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      From Sporting News:

2012-13 offseason
      — 134 November transactions
      — 196 December transactions
      — 48 January transactions (through Jan. 7)
      378 total transactions

2017-18 offseason
      — 60 November transactions
      — 128 December transactions
      — 10 January transactions (through Jan. 7)
      198 total transactions

That is crazy. I can understand the lukewarm response to the top free agents, as teams weigh taking on these guys potentially at the expense of next year's banner class --- but what about all the middle- and lower-tier guys?

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        The Nationals.
        Is he really better than Doolittle?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Is it me or is this the slowest Hot Stove (up to this date) we have had in years?

Come on already!
          Hmm... turns out it wasn't me.

Comment

the sentiment is that there are a lot of under-40 Ivy League execs who have analyzed data on longterm contracts and find that most are poor choices - especially just below the HOF types. so they won't pay what is sought.

not so much collusion as "groupthink," as Jon Heyman called it today.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              I think that Doolittle is the man for the Nats...he was nails for them last year, and they re-signed Kinzler as well to pitch the 8th.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Greene set at DET?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Greene set at DET?
                  Probably.....and honestly, the last thing they need is a closer.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Didn't realize you were asking about Seung Hwan Oh. I was referring to the Nationals having interest in Greg Holland. IMO, Holland>Doolittle>Oh.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      the sentiment is that there are a lot of under-40 Ivy League execs who have analyzed data on longterm contracts and find that most are poor choices - especially just below the HOF types. so they won't pay what is sought.

not so much collusion as "groupthink," as Jon Heyman called it today.
                      Or common sense and logic.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Jay Bruce back with the Mets for 3 years for 39 million. I think it is a solid value signing for the Mets, as Bruce played and especially hit well for them, and should continue to do so for the life of this contract.

Not sure how I feel about it as a Bruce owner, though. He was markedly better on the road while a Met, going against his overall career norms, so clearly Citi Field isn't the ideal place for him to hit. On the other hand, he should be in the middle of that line up and get all the playing time he can handle in the OF and at 1b. I guess it could be worse. At least someone signed. Hopefully more are coming soon.

Comment

C Rene Rivera to the Angels!

what, it's something
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

And so begins in full earnest the famous scott.borass 'mystery' team tour...

Martinez and his agent Scott Boras want a seven-year contract worth between $180 million and $210 million, but his best offers right now are reportedly for five years and between $120-150 million. One of those five-year offers was made by the Red Sox, who have seemed like the most logical fit for Martinez since the offseason began. Heyman's sources suggest at least one other team has made a five-year offer too. Martinez, 30, batted .303/.376/.690 with 45 home runs and 104 RBI in 119 games between the Tigers and Diamondbacks in 2017.
                            Last edited by Art Vandelay; 01-11-2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              And so begins in full earnest the famous scott.borass 'mystery' team...

Martinez and his agent Scott Boras want a seven-year contract worth between $180 million and $210 million, but his best offers right now are reportedly for five years and between $120-150 million. One of those five-year offers was made by the Red Sox, who have seemed like the most logical fit for Martinez since the offseason began. Heyman's sources suggest at least one other team has made a five-year offer too. Martinez, 30, batted .303/.376/.690 with 45 home runs and 104 RBI in 119 games between the Tigers and Diamondbacks in 2017.
                              It would be interesting if all of the free agents that were not Boras clients got signed first and all the rest got to sit and wait.

Comment

Probably time to change the thread title to "Ice Cold Stove." With just under a month until pitchers & catchers report, only FOUR of the top 17 free agents have signed. I don't care what the reason is, this is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X