2017 Winner's Circle/season reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Winner's Circle/season reports

league 1: 10-team NL only 5x5 using AVG, thought it was my last chance to compete with a pretty good keeper list before they all expired, and combined keepers like Jung-Ho Kang and Adam Ottavino and Joc Pederson (and cutting Gio) with my auction roster with great players like Starling Marte and Jhonny Peralta and Matt Wieters, so it didn't go all that well. I did take Knebel and Jimmy Nelson in the reserve rounds which helped, but overall I got stomped.

Trades:
    Late May
    • Arrieta and Jansen (expiring contracts) for injured Syndergaard and Familia at $15/2018 and Brendan Rodgers (minors)
    • Posey, Roark (expiring), LeMahieu (expiring), Addison Reed for Cozart $4B, Luke Weaver (minors), Ryan McMahon (minors), and Conforto $10/yr 2 (sigh)
    • Goldschmidt (expiring), Pederson (expiring), Josh Harrison for Austin Barnes $5A, Schebler $5A, and injured Freeman $33A

July
    • Span and Wacha for Felipe Rivero $10A

August
    • Rivero, Marte, Brandon Crawford (expiring), Perdomo for Godley $14A, David Peralta $10A, Pirela $7A, Nova $9B

Interesting midseason pickups: Flaherty, Tatis Jr., Gohara, Addison Russell $8 when he was cut late in the season and nobody picked him up off waivers

Strategy notes: I wish I'd had more confidence in Kershaw coming back during the season. I had the option of trading Marte and Freeman (who is a very good keeper but not super-amazing) for Holland $8A, Thames $12A, and Kershaw and passed because I felt burned by Thames because of my other league and I already had Knebel/Rivero as keepers at the time. Kershaw later got traded for Hand $5A. I'm pretty sure I'd rather have had Holland/Thames/Hand than Freeman (and I probably could have gotten someone other than Hand if I wanted).

Foundation for next year: Barnes $5, Freeman $33, Cozart $4/option, Peralta $10, Schebler $5, Ian Happ $8, Russell $8, Conforto $10/option, Godley $14, Knebel $10, Nelson $10?, Syndergaard $15, Familia $15

league 2: RJEL. 18-team mixed 5x5 using OBP, 10 keepers plus a lot of minor leaguers. I had a very good major league keeper list plus Moncada/JP Crawford/Eloy Jimenez/Rosario and a good auction, thought I'd finish in the top 4 (HDID post). Due to literally every move I made working out, took over first in June and stretched the lead to 10 by the end of the month, to 20 by August, and apart from a couple small scares had it locked up for most of the season.

Good auction picks: Altherr $1, Khris Davis $35, Scherzer $38
    Preface to the list of interesting moves: RJEL has a ton of trading and due to the contract structures, premium rookies are valued very highly. Not that some of these trades weren't also good for me even considering that, but some of these are going to look a bit crazy to an outsider.

Trades:
    Preseason
    • Rodon $6B, Hernan Perez $1B, Wacha $12/2017 for Arrieta $8X
      I didn't want to lock Wacha into a keeper slot and I had too many major league keepers
    • Archer $10X for Keon Broxton $4B, Tapia $4/minors, Tom Murphy $1B
      I could hide Murphy in a minors slot and I liked Broxton
    • JP Crawford $6/minors and Jose Reyes $9B for Cespedes $29/option (extended to $34/2018) and Willie Calhoun $5/minors
      I wanted to lock up a slightly underpriced stud because I know I'm bad at getting them at auction in these large auctions and because I really liked Calhoun and wasn't sure Crawford was going to be that great for fantasy
    • Hellickson $6A for Morton $2A after the auction
      I really wanted Morton and had fucked up my bidding during the auction

April
    • Kepler $4X for Triston McKenzie $6/minors
      At the time I had way too many good outfielders (Broxton, Cespedes, KDavis, Kepler, Trout, Altherr, Haniger), ICL needed an outfielder, and I thought McKenzie was a guy I could flip if needed
    • Moncada $6/minors, YMendez $5/minors, Tapia $4/minors for Arenado $14/2018, Alonso $5A, Nova $4B, Rosenthal $2A
      Doig had come into the season planning to dump, I was willing to let Moncada go but took a little less talent in return for getting guys I could keep longer than this season. Rosenthal was a throw-in because I had Oh and was worried about him and that worked out well. It was originally going to be Spangenberg which also would have been okay but not what I ended up needing
    • Gausman $5B and Wacha $15A for Greinke $24A
      After trading Wacha away preseason I still liked him and ended up with him in the auction, but Greinke seemed safer and I had to clear a roster spot for Glover when he was taking over the closer role, and I found someone who thought Gausman was going to get it together again, which he did but not until July

May
    • Rosario $1/minors, Tom Murphy $1B, Motter $5A, my #3 minors pick for Keuchel $10X, Wade Davis $10X, Andrus $23A, Flaherty $1/minors
      Rosario was a top prospect and hitting great in AAA and Motter looked really good according to Fangraphs but yeah, this was a good deal for me. Flaherty was pretty much a throw-in that worked out way better than expected.

June
    • Willie Calhoun $5/minors for Pham $5A
      Pham couldn't stay on the pace he was on so far (.274/.359/.484, 9 HR, 28 R, 22 RBI, 6 SB) for a whole season, could he? Actually he was better for me (.324/.438/.540, 14 HR, 67 R, 51 RBI, 19 SB in twice as many AB)

July
    • Manaea $4A, Eloy Jimenez $3/minors, Barraclough $3B for Blackmon $6X, Giles $7X, Andrelton Simmons $6X
      I felt like I was overpaying a little for making this deal more than halfway through the season, but these were the last stars available that were cheap enough that the two other contenders could fit them into their salary cap and I felt like if I didn't make this trade they would and I would be sad. As it turned out Blackmon also had a better second half and I needed the saves from Giles.
    • Longoria $27A and Ketel Marte $5A for Avila $4A and Panik $10A
      Clearing a bit of salary in preparation for a trade that didn't happen, but I also needed to clear some space on my roster in general and Avila looked really good before he got traded into a part-time role
    • Semien $17A for Jose Albertos $1/minors
      Just clearing roster space

Interesting pickups:
    Chase Anderson $3 (but I cut him in May after he got bombed by the Cubs and missed all of his really good stretch, sigh), Faria, Alex Claudio, Tyler Lyons

Strategy notes:
    Obviously every trade I made worked out unreasonably well and I only had one bad buy in the auction (Neftali Feliz for $11). The one thing I did wrong was that I was really proud of myself for no good reason for picking up Travis d'Arnaud for $2 early in FAAB and then when I had a huge wave of injuries (Semien, Cespedes, Haniger, Forsythe, etc) and filled up my DL slots I kept an injured d'Arnaud active for basically all of May instead of just replacing him with someone like Martin Maldonado, and because I'd done the Kepler trade (and because of my attitude about pitchers, see below) I was scrounging with idiots like Rickie Weeks in the outfield for a bit. The end result of this was that the other teams at the top of the standings have 5-10% more ABs than I do; even an extra 3% on my team batting totals (lowered because it was mostly the catcher spot that I was running nothing in) would have given me another 6 points in the final standings. Also I shouldn't have let Trout get hurt.

Also I think that if you have multiple batters on your bench in this league you are almost certainly doing it wrong. We have lineup changes twice a week and whether you have starters or relievers on your bench, being able to slot them in for the SPs that aren't going in that three or four day window is a big deal. Depending on how many closers you have, I think three or four of your five bench spots should be pitchers and one should be a hitter that qualifies in multiple positions if you don't have good positional flexibility in your starters.

Foundation for next year: Alonso $5B, LeMahieu $7X, Arenado $14X, Andrus $23B, KDavis $35B, Pham $5B, Trout $25/2019, Altherr $1B, Haniger $4/option, Broxton $4/option, Cespedes $34X, Greinke $24B, Scherzer $38B, Morton $2B... hm, I need to trade four of these guys. Hit me up.

league 3: 12-team mixed 5x5 using AVG, 6 keepers, salaries go up $5/yr. First place in May, ninth in July, dumped, fought my way back to third. I'm pretty pleased with this one.

Keepers: Trea Turner $6, Bryant $13, Blackmon $32, Schwarber $7, Lucroy $11, Oh $6. That could have gone better. Also had to choose between Gleyber Torres and Bellinger with the first pick in the minors draft and took Torres. Also I spent a combined $60 on Starling Marte, CarGo, and Piscotty.

Trades:
    This league has hardly any trades. Seven for the whole season, three of which I was involved in.

May 1
    • Carrasco $19 and Teheran $12 for Thames $16 and Samardzija $5
      Whoops. My hitting was really underperforming early - in mid-April I only had three guys hitting over .200 and my pitching was more than solid, and I liked Samardzija more than Teheran anyway. But this didn't really work out.

July 31
    • Votto $32, Blackmon $32X, SMarte $31, Carlos Martinez $16, Paxton $8 for Correa $11, Victor Robles (minors), Verlander $24, Kershaw $46
      I had been trying to talk this guy into accepting a dump trade for a while but he had a solid lead even with Kershaw and Trout hurt. But the other contenders made pretty big trades and he talked himself into it. Kershaw and Verlander were just salary dumps but ended up being useful.

August 28
    • Kershaw $46 for Rendon $15 and Hand $1
      Kershaw was healthy again and I got a very nice payoff for his last month. Hand was a throwin because I thought I might need to go heavy on saves to try to fight my way back into the money.

Interesting pickups: Morton and Gallo in April, Altherr and Cozart in May, Pham in June, DeJong in July, Hoskins and Eddie Rosario in August. But I had Gallo benched for most of the time when he was good mostly because I wasn't paying enough attention - while active he hit .194/.311/.496, benched .242/.383/.644. I managed to do this with a couple other guys too (Schwarber .190/.309/.399 active, .241/.322/.602 benched; Altherr .252/.320/.449 active, .315/.390/.697 benched; Kepler .221/.302/.326 active, .274/.346/.504 benched). I should stop paying attention to cold streaks, I guess. I also picked up a handful of closers down the stretch (Hand via trade, Nicasio, Treinen, Blake Parker)

Strategy notes:
    I talked myself into keeping Oh because I didn't see anyone else I really liked, but I need to remember that unless it's a cheap Kimbrel-level guy it's not worth it in this league. I had Cody Allen and Oh after the auction and managed to scrounge together another 40 saves from random pickups to get to third place in the category. It really helped that nobody else in this league is big on streaming 2-start guys, so I was able to lead Ks and do pretty well in wins even after getting rid of all of my aces by midseason.

Foundation for next year: TTurner $11, Bryant $18X, Correa $16X, Rendon $20, Hoskins $12, one of Gallo or Pham or Owings $6 or CFrazier $2 - I can't believe they let Frazier get to 131 AB in the last week.
    Last edited by mjl; 10-02-2017, 03:46 AM.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

My 4th title in the last 6 years and 7th overall since 1991. I have had a great run the last 6 years finishing 1,1,1,2,2,1.

13 team. Mixed 5x5. 8 keepers. $300 budget. Mag7 and Madducks are in this league too.

Preseason
    I made a trade before the season. I texted another owner to see if wanted to deal Nelson Cruz ($30 expiring contract). He said maybe. I offered Danny Duffy ($1), fully expecting to be turned down. He accepted. He felt Cruz was due to regress because of his age.

Keepers (8 for $88)
    Cruz ( $30) - Huge hit on him. Fantastic year.
    Altuve ($34) – Another monster year from him
    Nunez ($1) – Solid year, but injured a few times
    Carlos Santana ($2) – Despite my constant harping on his production, he had a solid year
    Dahl ($1) – Lost season for him
    Drury ($1) – My last keeper choice. I dropped him pretty quickly.
    Ed. Diaz ($1) – He was decent enough. Traded him for Archer at the deadline
    Cody Allen ($18) – very solid. Traded him for Robbie Ray at the deadline

Overall my keepers really contributed to my title.

Draft
    I had $212 to spend on 5 hitters, 7 pitchers, and 4 bench players.
    Going into the draft I was a huge believer in Kershaw being the most valuable fantasy player with the dearth of stud SP. I targeted him and was going to get him no matter the cost. I also wanted to get 2 more closers to have 4 and try and dominate that category and trade some saves later. I also needed one more big bat. Then fill out my roster with the 3 or 4 category middling players and hopefully find some decent cheap SP’s.

Well, I got Kershaw for $84! Well worth it to me. My big bat was JD Martinez for $46. After the draft another owner told me that JD had a foot injury and would be out for 4-6 weeks. I had no idea. THANK GOODNESS I didn’t know or I might not have bid on him!! JD was a complete monster this year. Otherwise my draft wasn’t that great.

Hits in the draft:
    Cobb ($4) – solid year
    L. Cain ($16) – he was good
    Kintzler ($4) – huge season for me
    Herrera ($16) – he was up and down but helped me get a big lead in saves thus enabling me to trade saves at the deadline.

Misses in the draft:
    Everyone else!! H. Perez, Pedroia, D. Peralta, Longo, Estrada, Folty, Bauer (sucked while I had him)

In-Season moves (we get 75 and I used 72, so I will just touch on the key moves)

March 31 – I picked up Ervin Santana and Judge. Needless to say HUGE payoffs and integral in my title run.
    May 28 – I picked up Peacock, but dropped him 2 weeks later. Bad decision.
    July 5 – Josh Reddick and he had a really solid year.
    August 12 – Eddie Rosario as the dude was a huge addition as he went wild the last month and a half on my team.
    September 4 – Matt Olson. BOOM. He was sooooo huge in the 3 weeks I had him. Sooo huge.

I had a bunch of other pickups that helped for short stretches: Alonso, Haniger, Reyes, Parra, Corbin

Trades (I made 4)
    May 26 – I traded Judge and Dahl for Mookie. I loved Judge but thought that Mookie would be better for my team. Also figured Judge would regress. Whoops. Hate losing Judge, but Mookie had a very solid season for my team.
    July 14 – I traded L. Cain for Samardzija as I need to get K’s. Samardzija was decent enough.
    July 30 – I traded Ed. Diaz for Archer. I had a lead in saves and figured the points I might lose in Saves would be made up in K’s. Archer pretty much stunk it up for me, but he did get a bunch of k’s.
    July 30 – I traded Cody Allen for Robbie Ray. This was right after Ray’s concussion so I was hesitant to make the deal. I made it about 30 minutes before the trade deadline. Suffice to say it was crucial to my title. Ray was phenomenal after he returned.

I only won one category and that was AVG.

This was an odd year as I never felt that I had the best team, but things just worked out. I was the best and the luckiest!!

I lose Altuve after owning him for the last 4 years. Nooooooooo… but I will probably pay $80 for him at the draft!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Won a 15-team, 4-player keeper league I found here on RJ by 2 points. I was in first since the early summer, but found myself in 2nd by a half point as late as 4:30pm yesterday before pulling it out.

I was an expansion team, so I had my pick of anyone not being kept.

Expansion Draft
      1 - Eduardo Nunez, $1 -- had a season I was expecting
      2 - Sean Manaea, $4 -- meh
      3 - Jameson Taillon, $1 -- meh, then I released him in July
      4 - Aaron Sanchez, $1 -- totally lost season

Not starting well.....

Key Auction Buys
      $19 Eric Hosmer
      $41 Josh Donaldson
      $6 Yasiel Puig
      $33 George Springer
      $30 Corey Kluber
      $16 Ken Giles
      $15 Roberto Osuna

As Donaldson and Kluber missed time, my team was wallowing anywhere from 3rd to 6th place.

For whatever the reason, while everyone seemed engaged at the auction, there was very little trading (just NINE trades all season long!!)

I made one trade, which turned out to be a steal:

Trades
      June 4 - traded Jason Heyward for Jose Quintana

I made my biggest impact through the waiver wire, and those moves ultimately led to the title:

Key FAAB Pickups
      May 1 - Yonder Alonso, $7 - bingo
      May 1 - Yadier Molina, $1 -- replaced Stephen Vogt(!!)
      May 5 - Joe Biagini, $4 -- was effective for awhile
      May 22 - Matt Adams, $11 -- boffo
      May 29 - Trevor Bauer, $1 -- solid
      Jun 5 - Whit Merrifield, $11 -- probably the title winner
      Jun 19 - Hector Neris, $1 -- critical 3rd closer
      Aug 21 - Matt Olson, $1 -- 2nd most critical move
      Sept 4 - Mike Montgomery, $1
      Sept 11 - Jose Martinez, $4
      Sept 11 - Jake Junis, $1
      Sept 25 - Hunter Renfroe, $7

It was kind of a dead league (surprising, as one of the owners is a popular CBS sports columnist), so the FAAB moves were critical in the victory. Not sure if I'll be back because I like the competition more, but we'll see. Still a nailbiter!

Comment

I know I'm double posting (free agent league thread), but whatever ... I won my yahoo H2H Free Agent League. For those who don't know, a Free Agent league is one where you enter a public yahoo league, go into the draft with preferences set so you only draft scrubs, then dump everyone & pick up free agents. To be competitive it takes a ton of roster management - I made 106 moves through the year - but it's a pretty satisfying way to build a roster ... no Kershaws or Trouts available; even with trading (I made a couple) nobody is willing to part with big names so every trade is incremental.

My MVPs would have to be Marwin Gonzales - with multi position eligibility he turned out to be super valuable in a league like this one - I could slot him in anywhere for anyone & use more bench positions for pitchers. Domingo Santana & Jose Abreu get honorable mentions. On the pitching side, my rotation was a rotating door (tough to get aces in a league like this) but the bullpen was super solid - Knebel, Rivero, and Doolittle all weren't closers in April so were easy to pick up, but turned out to be worth gold.

Good fun.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
        X