Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJEL hdid

A couple notes before I list my team:

* I didn't realize I was spending my entire remaining amount on Wacha, who I really do like that much, but I ended up missing a bunch of $2/$3 players because of it.

* I was planning to have mostly $1 endgame because three or four guys are getting replaced by minor leaguers immediately or very early.

* Because we have biweekly moves, there's some incentive to get a bunch of good relievers to replace your starters in the half of the week where they're not pitching. Or have more starters, but either way, having pitchers on your bench is better than usual.

* I took Scherzer as the second top-end pitcher overall, I think, right after Bumgarner and before Kershaw, and in retrospect man did I get a good deal on that.

C: Castro $1 (will be replaced by Murphy when healthy)
    1B: Duda $8
    2B: Forsythe $6 (keep)
    SS: Semien $17
    3B: Longoria $27
    MI: LeMahieu $7 (keep)
    CI: Freese $1 (will be replaced by Moncada eventually)
    OF: Broxton $4 (keep), Cespedes $34 (keep), Kepler $4 (keep), Trout $25 (keep), KDavis $35
    UT: Altherr $1, Mercer $1 (one will be replaced by Haniger immediately)
    Bench: Hwang $1, Guyer $1

P:
    Arrieta $8 (keep)
    Chatwood $1
    Feliz $11
    Gausman $5 (keep)
    Hellickson $6
    Manaea $4 (keep)
    Oh $1 (keep)
    Scherzer $38
    Wacha $15
    Bench: Gregerson $1, Harris $1, O'Day $1 (someone's getting replaced by Glover)
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Originally posted by mjl View Post
    A couple notes before I list my team:

* I didn't realize I was spending my entire remaining amount on Wacha, who I really do like that much, but I ended up missing a bunch of $2/$3 players because of it.

* I was planning to have mostly $1 endgame because three or four guys are getting replaced by minor leaguers immediately or very early.

* Because we have biweekly moves, there's some incentive to get a bunch of good relievers to replace your starters in the half of the week where they're not pitching. Or have more starters, but either way, having pitchers on your bench is better than usual.

* I took Scherzer as the second top-end pitcher overall, I think, right after Bumgarner and before Kershaw, and in retrospect man did I get a good deal on that.

C: Castro $1 (will be replaced by Murphy when healthy)
    1B: Duda $8
    2B: Forsythe $6 (keep)
    SS: Semien $17
    3B: Longoria $27
    MI: LeMahieu $7 (keep)
    CI: Freese $1 (will be replaced by Moncada eventually)
    OF: Broxton $4 (keep), Cespedes $34 (keep), Kepler $4 (keep), Trout $25 (keep), KDavis $35
    UT: Altherr $1, Mercer $1 (one will be replaced by Haniger immediately)
    Bench: Hwang $1, Guyer $1

P:
    Arrieta $8 (keep)
    Chatwood $1
    Feliz $11
    Gausman $5 (keep)
    Hellickson $6
    Manaea $4 (keep)
    Oh $1 (keep)
    Scherzer $38
    Wacha $15
    Bench: Gregerson $1, Harris $1, O'Day $1 (someone's getting replaced by Glover)
    Studly OF, tons of power, Trout and Cespedes, oof...the infield and U are fine for an 18 teamer, Bench, meh. Love the pitching as well...Scherzer is a buy if he's healthy, love Manaea, Too high on Wacha, IMO, butyou know that. Smart use of the middle relievers in this league, and if Glover indeed becomes the closer, you're right at the top of the heap, IMO. Nice job...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I way overshot on power, Semien was supposed to be Owings or someone with speed but I felt like he was going close enough to his correct price that I'd find it later, and it didn't really happen. Hoping that Altherr gets some good PT and that Moncada helps.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I like this team. The OF is great. I think Duda sitting in that 1B hole is kinda unseemly, but you certainly didn't overpay for him. Semien and Longoria looked to be priced about right.

Your pitching has some question marks. Chatwood is reasonable because you can sit him against tough opponents at home. Scherzer was an awesome buy at the time. I paid $39 for Lester and should have said $39 on Scherzer. Wacha is a reach at $15, I think. Maybe for $7, but the inflation did make things a little crazy. I don't see an ace-type year from Arrieta this year, and so if he slips, you will need Scherzer to carry this team. Also, and this is probably just me, but all things being equal, I tend to prefer the NL pitcher to the AL pitcher, especially with starters, and you drafted only NL pitchers; that's good.

What moron traded you a $4 Keon Broxton!?

Comment

This is a great team. The only way you go south is if Max's injury is worse than feared, and Arrieta keeps pitching like he did in the second half.

Only thing I can think of to be critical on would be spending less on a SS given you power, using that plus the $15 spent on Wacha to buy a better pitcher. But, dang, that's quibbling.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I was focused almost entirely on power and you kept on bidding me up (Semien, Khris Davis, etc.). Good work there, I guess. If Gausman and Manaea pitch up to their potential and Scherzer's injury is nothing, this can be a very good team. Good work.

Comment

really like your team, and barring injury and with a few moves think you finish in the money. better in hitting than pitching - in pitching you may struggle in ratios. thought longoria was overpriced when you bought, but turned out to be a pretty good price. wacha was an overpay, IMHO. i thought there was even discussion of him moving to the pen? anyway, strong keepers, and you didn't screw the pooch during the auction, so i think you finish in the top few.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

As long as Cespedes continues to lead MLB in HR and Freese leads MLB in OPS, I should be doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                  As long as Cespedes continues to lead MLB in HR and Freese leads MLB in OPS, I should be doing well.
                  One of these things is not like the other...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                  X