2K11: Ryan Vogelsong - SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    I think Lincecum is fine in terms of his 2 Cy Youngs if you want to go there, OR the sentimental pick on a Vogelsong in spite of his being short in IP. Both - you're really, really pushing it. And after that, picking Cain is preposterous. Dude, there are 15 other teams in the league.

Ian Kennedy, Tommy Hanson, and Craig Kimbrel, among others, say hi.

In simplest terms, no other manager would have picked all 3 Giants.

This has nothing to do with Bochy - or Guillen. The process is ridiculous and should be changed.

Is that a debatable point? Does anyone think it's a good idea for THREE players not chosen by the fans or the players to be on the team just because of who the manager is?
    yeah, i was surprised ian kennedy didn't make it and ryan vogelsong did. i think that's pretty disgraceful.

Comment

I think Lincecum is fine in terms of his 2 Cy Youngs if you want to go there, OR the sentimental pick on a Vogelsong in spite of his being short in IP. Both - you're really, really pushing it. And after that, picking Cain is preposterous. Dude, there are 15 other teams in the league.

Ian Kennedy, Tommy Hanson, and Craig Kimbrel, among others, say hi.
      Vogelsong has just 5 IP less than Hanson, FYI. If Venters was chosen, why was Kimbrel left off? Did ATL request that Kimbrel not get chosen?

How did Clippard make it over Jordan Zimmermann?

Seems like there's some behind the scenes things you may not be hearing of or taking into account. Seems like many teams had their 2nd best pitcher taken over their best pitcher.

Comment

Is that a debatable point? Does anyone think it's a good idea for THREE players not chosen by the fans or the players to be on the team just because of who the manager is?
        Sure. Are they worthy players (either in terms of fan attraction or first half performance) is the only question in my mind. If you concede Lincicum is the fan favorite, then let's review the bidding:

Kennedy - 3.38 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 32/109 BB/K, 8 wins, 7.6 K/9 IP
        Hanson - 2.62 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 33/97 BB/K, 9 wins, 9.7 K/9 IP
        Vogelsong - 2.13 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 27/68 BB/K, 6 wins, 7.3 K/ 9 IP
        Cain - 3.02 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 29/95 BB/K, 7 wins, 7.5 K/ 9 IP

I can see Hanson over Cain, but it's not overwhelming. Kennedy isn't a bad pick, and if you even out the parks, he's probably equivalent to Cain, but hardly better.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Vogelsong with 7 scoreless innings yesterday. 7-1, 2.02 ERA on the season. As silly as this sounds.....at what stage does this guy become a Cy Young contender? If the voting was today, he'd pretty clearly be in the Top 5.

Comment

Wasn't Jimenez a lock at this time last year?
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Wasn't Jimenez a lock at this time last year?
              I forget, where did Jimenez finish in the vote? Oh yeah -- 3rd. Jeez, JJ, you make it seem like Ubaldo fell out of the voting completely!

Hey, we all know you're a "revert to the mean" guy, and that may be truer in keeper leagues than in redrafts, but a guy like Vogelsong (and others you've ripped, such as Karstens, etc.) have been godsends this year. I could wave the biggest hanky for Vogelsong or Karstens or Collmenter this season, but I'd be hard-pressed to draft those guys high next season.

Sometimes, you gotta ride the wave. Hang loose, JJ!

Comment

Interesting points, but I yam what I yam.

I didn't beg people to dump Ryan Roberts earlier this year, just said the power and speed are real, just not the AVG. Even Bautista last year, I had to admit that the peripherals had his AVG being LOWER than it should be. The power - every now and then something comes along that blows up the chart, and yes I can't put my hands around that.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I think its safe to safe say Vogelsong is the real deal.
                  After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                  X