2K11: Ryan Vogelsong - SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Only if they're smart. I think they will be smart, too.
    no doubt here, the point will be put to Zito, "If you can't outpitch him in AAA, you don't get his spot in the bigs...."
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

he's keeping the job.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I wrote about Ryan Vogelsong here:
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Another great start by Vogelsong, another probable loss/ND. Despite the horrendous Giant offense, this guy has been a gift from the waiver wire gods.

Comment

It'll never happen, but this guy really should be the All-Star Game starter for the NL. Did he have his arm bionically replaced in the last few years? What exactly is going on here??

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              It'll never happen, but this guy really should be the All-Star Game starter for the NL. Did he have his arm bionically replaced in the last few years? What exactly is going on here??
              What did you think about my take on it? I don't think his arm has changed. I think it's his command and confidence and his knowledge about how to pitch successfully. He mentioned a couple things in my article, and others in the articles I linked, that all point toward that same picture.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                What did you think about my take on it? I don't think his arm has changed. I think it's his command and confidence and his knowledge about how to pitch successfully. He mentioned a couple things in my article, and others in the articles I linked, that all point toward that same picture.
                Yeah, it was a great piece, Mike. Clearly he's learned how to become a "pitcher" and use this knowledge to his advantage. Hey, I hope he keeps it up.

I believe after this start he should have enough innings to qualify for the NL ERA lead.

Comment

Yeah, it was a great piece, Mike. Clearly he's learned how to become a "pitcher" and use this knowledge to his advantage. Hey, I hope he keeps it up.

I believe after this start he should have enough innings to qualify for the NL ERA lead.
                  I don't think there's any way his ERA stays in the 1's, of course. He's not Pedro Martinez at his peak here. But his stuff is good enough, and with good command and an intelligent approach, that ought to be enough to make him an above average pitcher over the long haul.

Comment

Man, another gem tonight. 12 TM NL, I traded Vog away a few days ago along with misc parts, basically to get a farm J Lyles who I will have cheap for years. Thought I was selling high, for a guy I picked up as an FA. Not so sure now.

Comment

Only one game, give it time...
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        So are you predicting he's going to turn back into a 5+ ERA pumpkin?

Comment

???

It has been 8 QS out of 11 games and at least one of those was a decent game of only 5 innings.

Now he may never do it again, but I am kicking myself as I could have had him at about game 3. He sure helps for this year.

Comment

Not sure I understand your point here. He's pitched 73 innings already at a level no one on earth (besides maybe Vogelsong's mom) could have predicted -- and that's basically 40% of the season. If this was 7 innings, I'd agree. But clearly it's more than "one game."

I know you're a regress to the mean sort, and it usually plays out that way, but what is the mean for Vogelsong? A 5.00 ERA? So you think he pitches to an 8.00+ ERA the rest of the way out?

Comment

Don't listen to JJ, he's probably just bitter he didn't pick him up.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I know you're a regress to the mean sort, and it usually plays out that way, but what is the mean for Vogelsong? A 5.00 ERA? So you think he pitches to an 8.00+ ERA the rest of the way out?
                                Regress to the mean isn't the gambler's fallacy. If the mean for Vogelsong is a 5.00 ERA, then regress to the mean says he'll pitch with a 5.00 ERA the rest of the way, not whatever it would take him to bring his season ERA to 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X