Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Paxton or Danny Duffy

AL only

Who would you rank higher and why? I have a chance to pick up one of them in a trade.

Concerns:
    CBS guys are talking that Duffy is down over 2 mph from last spring, plus he's pitching in the WBC.

Both seemed to hit a bit of wall late last season.

Duffy andits not close for me
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      Duffy andits not close for me
      I agree with this. Paxton may make some inroads, but Duffy's already done it.

Comment

Straight up, no dollar values, I guess I take Duffy. But I think they're very close in value, which I don't think their $ values or ADPs would agree with.

Comment

This a potential trade.
          Both players are $5 - I'd be trading Sam Dyson, who is also a $5. I have multiple closers, Diaz $5, Colome $1, and Allen $13 too. I thought Dyson's hold on the job is most precarious.

Comment

Go for Duffy.
            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush View Post
              This a potential trade.
              Both players are $5 - I'd be trading Sam Dyson, who is also a $5. I have multiple closers, Diaz $5, Colome $1, and Allen $13 too. I thought Dyson's hold on the job is most precarious.
              Agree, get Duffy

Comment

I like Duffy. I followed him at NWA, but he broke my heart when he first came up.

It bothers me a little that he doesn't strike people out in the majors, but he did better in 2016, so he may have acquired that skill. All in all, I think it's the best play.
                If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                  I like Duffy. I followed him at NWA, but he broke my heart when he first came up.

It bothers me a little that he doesn't strike people out in the majors, but he did better in 2016, so he may have acquired that skill. All in all, I think it's the best play.
                  So this is a good point to key on and leads to another brief discussion potentially. Duffy K'd 9.4 per 9 last year which was significantly above his career average of 7.8. Along with this rise, we see an increase in his velocity as well, which is unusual for a guy who has been in the league for 5 years. His fastball went from ~92/93 over the previous few years to the 95/96 range. This increase actually started late 2015.

One concern, is whether he can continue pitching like the Duffy of 2016 or whether he reverts back. And I'm seeing that his fastball has been around 92/93 again this spring. A slight cause for concern for me, worth monitoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    So this is a good point to key on and leads to another brief discussion potentially. Duffy K'd 9.4 per 9 last year which was significantly above his career average of 7.8. Along with this rise, we see an increase in his velocity as well, which is unusual for a guy who has been in the league for 5 years. His fastball went from ~92/93 over the previous few years to the 95/96 range. This increase actually started late 2015.

One concern, is whether he can continue pitching like the Duffy of 2016 or whether he reverts back. And I'm seeing that his fastball has been around 92/93 again this spring. A slight cause for concern for me, worth monitoring.
                    That is the reason I threw out the question of Paxton or Duffy, is the drop in velocity this spring a concern, and how effective will he be if he doesn't get back that.

Comment

I'd go with Paxton. The only thing keeping him from greatness is his health. Duffy has been getting lots of praise from the experts, but he really faded down the stretch and if his velocity is down, then he's back to the guy with a career ERA above 4.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

His three full seasons of K/9 have been 6.81, 6.72 and 9.42, so there may be some recency bias in the notion that he is a strikeout pitcher, although he did strikeout everybody in Northwest Arkansas and lots of guys elsewhere in the minors.
                        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Rush View Post
                          That is the reason I threw out the question of Paxton or Duffy, is the drop in velocity this spring a concern, and how effective will he be if he doesn't get back that.
                          Yeah, not only might he be less effective, he may be on the verge of injury. Isn't there a strong correlation between sudden, significant increase in pitch velocity and injury the next year? I'd look at how much effort Duffy was adding last year for that extra velocity. If it came with clear effort, rather than new mechanics or workout regime, he may have put too much strain on his elbow, which is why he has fallen back down in velocity.

Comment

I'd go Paxton. Probably more because I drafted him than anything else. Same age, Duffy has had success and Paxton has been blah. But one of those gut feelings for this year that I think Paxton starts 30 times and puts it together.

Comment

Working...
                            X