Stanton, Cespedes, or Myers for Oh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanton, Cespedes, or Myers for Oh

In a 14 team mixed league, I have an offer of one year of $9 Cody Allen and one of

one year of $17 Cespedes
    one year of $25 Stanton
    3 years of $17 Wil Myers (he extended him already)

for my $1 Oh, who can be kept for $1 next year as well, or extended (but I would just keep him at $1 next year--I wouldn't extend a 35 year old RP).

Seems like a good offer to me. He has extra keepers, and I think he is worried Allen will lose saves to Miller. I also think he might regret Myers extension, as that is the deal he is really pushing. I'd have to toss back a decent prospect to land one of the other two.

So, do you take the deal, and if so, who do you take? Myers intrigues and scares me. If he performs like last year, he is a good keeper, but his health risk is large, and that contract could turn sour if he goes back to being banged up. On the other hand, I give up a lot of keeper value in Oh for none back in the other two deals, and do have to toss in a prospect to land one (no one with a high ceiling--I have a few back end top 100 guys like Bauers that he'd take).

The extra keeper would bump either a $1 Werth, a $1 Chris Carter, or a $7 Ian Kennedy--I haven't decided it I should use my 15th spot on one of these guys or just keep 14.

hmmm.....the offer is fine, but are you comfortable adding an additional $25 in salary? Who is available out there who may go for $25? That's the big question.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      hmmm.....the offer is fine, but are you comfortable adding an additional $25 in salary? Who is available out there who may go for $25? That's the big question.
      Yeah, I have lots of money, and inflation is very high in our league, as we keep up to 15 major leaguers, and we have rosters of 20 minor leaguers, so just about every great prospect comes up and gets paid $5 their first year, and is kept cheap for a few years. And we only charge $4 per year for extensions, and we have a $400 cap. All of this amounts to a semi-dynasty league and whacky inflation for limited talent in the auction each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Yeah, I have lots of money, and inflation is very high in our league, as we keep up to 15 major leaguers, and we have rosters of 20 minor leaguers, so just about every great prospect comes up and gets paid $5 their first year, and is kept cheap for a few years. And we only charge $4 per year for extensions, and we have a $400 cap. All of this amounts to a semi-dynasty league and whacky inflation for limited talent in the auction each year.
        So give me an idea of the pair:

Allen & Cespedes for $26
        or
        Oh & _________ for $26

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          So give me an idea of the pair:

Allen & Cespedes for $26
          or
          Oh & _________ for $26
          There won't be many OFers in the $25 range available in the auction. If I'm lucky, I might be able to land Kemp for that price. I'd have to pay twice that for someone like Cruz or Trumbo. I could get someone like Thames or Bruce for $5-10 less.

I definitely come out ahead money wise this year by $20+, for which I'm giving up the value of Oh at $1 for next year, and a good but not elite prospect, probably Jake Bauers.

Comment

I'd do it, likely for Cespedes. Though what's the penalty for breaking a long-term contract?

But in general this helps you quite a lot for this year and if you don't end up competitive, Allen and Cespedes at below-market prices are probably still very good trade chips at midseason, especially if it's the kind of league where people run into the salary cap and might appreciate cheaper high-end talent.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
              I'd do it, likely for Cespedes. Though what's the penalty for breaking a long-term contract?

But in general this helps you quite a lot for this year and if you don't end up competitive, Allen and Cespedes at below-market prices are probably still very good trade chips at midseason, especially if it's the kind of league where people run into the salary cap and might appreciate cheaper high-end talent.
              To break a contract, we must pay the players 1st year in salary in full, and then 50% rounded up of subsequent years. So, to buy out Myers next year, I'd have to pay $17 plus $9= $26. I would also have to burn a keeper spot for that year.

So far I'm getting that if I do this deal, I should do it for an expiring Cespedes or Stanton, and not risk taking on Myers.

Comment

I am not a big Myers guy. I'd be all over this deal for Cespedes. I do not think I do it for Stanton. I guess I'd do it for Myers, with your cap and inflation, at worst he's a minor burden for a couple years but not a total zero. But I'd push hard for Yo.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  I am not a big Myers guy. I'd be all over this deal for Cespedes. I do not think I do it for Stanton. I guess I'd do it for Myers, with your cap and inflation, at worst he's a minor burden for a couple years but not a total zero. But I'd push hard for Yo.
                  Cool. yeah, Cespedes is the guy who least wants to give. He might balk/try to push Myers more. It might take me upping the prospect I give, but since I care most about this year, it is probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    This.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I just got two competing offers. I can get Carpenter $13, expiring, for a pair of prospects: Yadier Alvarez and Tyler O'Neill. The nature of our keeper set up pushes the value of prospects a lot higher in our league than most, but it is still tempting. Do I pull the trigger on this deal instead?

I don't need Carp at 2b, as i have Dozier and Murphy there. I would have to use him at corner or utility, as I have Bryant and Davis and 3b and 1b.

I can also get an expiring $10 Lackey for Yohander Mendez.

Comment

I just got two competing offers. I can get Carpenter $13, expiring, for a pair of prospects: Yadier Alvarez and Tyler O'Neill. The nature of our keeper set up pushes the value of prospects a lot higher in our league than most, but it is still tempting. Do I pull the trigger on this deal instead?

I don't need Carp at 2b, as i have Dozier and Murphy there. I would have to use him at corner or utility, as I have Bryant and Davis and 3b and 1b.

I can also get an expiring $10 Lackey for Yohander Mendez.
                        I'd prefer Yo to all of those. I am not sure I do the Carpenter deal if prospects are really that valuable and Carp is expiring. Definitely wouldn't bother with Lackey

Comment

I'd get 'em all if you can - Cespedes/Allen, Carp and Lackey. I might be under rating Mendez though.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            I'd get 'em all if you can - Cespedes/Allen, Carp and Lackey. I might be under rating Mendez though.
                            I only have room for one more keeper. Getting them all would mean me tossing back good keepers. My 14th best keeper right now is a $2 Shoemaker or $5 Jon Gray, both of whom I could keep an extra year at those prices, or extend them.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-08-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

In a 14 team mixed league, I have an offer of one year of $9 Cody Allen and one of

one year of $17 Cespedes
                              one year of $25 Stanton
                              3 years of $17 Wil Myers (he extended him already)

for my $1 Oh, who can be kept for $1 next year as well, or extended (but I would just keep him at $1 next year--I wouldn't extend a 35 year old RP).

Seems like a good offer to me. He has extra keepers, and I think he is worried Allen will lose saves to Miller. I also think he might regret Myers extension, as that is the deal he is really pushing. I'd have to toss back a decent prospect to land one of the other two.

So, do you take the deal, and if so, who do you take? Myers intrigues and scares me. If he performs like last year, he is a good keeper, but his health risk is large, and that contract could turn sour if he goes back to being banged up. On the other hand, I give up a lot of keeper value in Oh for none back in the other two deals, and do have to toss in a prospect to land one (no one with a high ceiling--I have a few back end top 100 guys like Bauers that he'd take).

The extra keeper would bump either a $1 Werth, a $1 Chris Carter, or a $7 Ian Kennedy--I haven't decided it I should use my 15th spot on one of these guys or just keep 14.
                              Given the inflation situation I would do it for either Cespedes or Meyers. I would not put in a "sweetener" for Cespedes (but he would be my first choice). I would not bump a $1 Carter.

My other keepers would determine which of Kennedy or Werth I would drop.

Comment

Working...
                              X