Opening Nomination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Nomination

I won my league last year, thus, I get to bring up the first player for auction. I want to bring up a hitter who may be wildly overpaid for. Any recommendations?

Right now I'm thinking maybe Trea Turner.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

What do you think of looking for the intersection of the top two money guys and their needs combined with your own lack of need? Sick them on each other.

If they both need a shortstop and you have yours bring out the best shortstop. Watch the fun.

Comment

I'm going to give a speech recapping playoffs and Cubs championship and segue from there to an opening bid on Rizzo of $44 (hopefully putting my rival who's a rabid Cards fan on early tilt). Pretty high but I'd take him at the price happily.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

It doesn't matter who you nominate, the system is rigged..........

Comment

If I have two closers going in, I keep nominating closers until there are none left. same if I have speed, or power, or good SP. get the big names you don't need out there fast - but also have a definite price you'd be willing to pay in case bidders are coy.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I like Gregg's idea which is turning my interest to just dropping Manny Machado on the group. I'm keeping Story at $3 and Machado is SS-eligible in my league so that could get the cashhhhhh flowing.
            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I have sometimes used the first throw in an attempt to pick up a useful player by tossing someone unexpected. You can't get a sleeper, but you can sometimes get a $20 player for $15, especially if you throw him at $15.
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                I have sometimes used the first throw in an attempt to pick up a useful player by tossing someone unexpected. You can't get a sleeper, but you can sometimes get a $20 player for $15, especially if you throw him at $15.
                I think you "won" Steve Souza that way a couple years ago. The player fell short of expectations but the strategy was solid.

Comment

Yeah, taking this conversation a bit further, I have found that the strategy of nominating players that you DO NOT want at auction is, while not always bad, it has come to be expected. To the point that for some of the better players in our league (at least early before dollar days) just nominating someone is a clue that you don't really like that player, and other teams follow suit. I aim to try to mix that up and nominate more players I want in hopes of getting them a bit cheaper, or at least being a little less predictable.

I do think it's wise to nominate players at positions where you are *almost* full so as to make sure the auction doesn't get to a point where there are 4 good 3B left (or something) and only 3 teams that have a spot for one, meaning those last 2 will likely go for a frustratingly good deal (unless you're one of those owners).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    I think you "won" Steve Souza that way a couple years ago. The player fell short of expectations but the strategy was solid.
                    Yeah, I was a little disappointed in Steve. He did everything but hit. Great clubhouse presence. All the intangibles. Excellent driver.
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                      Yeah, taking this conversation a bit further, I have found that the strategy of nominating players that you DO NOT want at auction is, while not always bad, it has come to be expected. To the point that for some of the better players in our league (at least early before dollar days) just nominating someone is a clue that you don't really like that player, and other teams follow suit. I aim to try to mix that up and nominate more players I want in hopes of getting them a bit cheaper, or at least being a little less predictable.I do think it's wise to nominate players at positions where you are *almost* full so as to make sure the auction doesn't get to a point where there are 4 good 3B left (or something) and only 3 teams that have a spot for one, meaning those last 2 will likely go for a frustratingly good deal (unless you're one of those owners).
                      I agree with this. I have always tried to spend my time and energy building my roster, throwing more players that I wanted. Either guys will be sitting on them or they want. There is just as much chance someone will be sitting on them later in the auction. And I don't recommend price enforcing. Getting caught once can throw off your plan.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                        I like Gregg's idea which is turning my interest to just dropping Manny Machado on the group. I'm keeping Story at $3 and Machado is SS-eligible in my league so that could get the cashhhhhh flowing.
                        Machado will go for more than $50 in our 12 team AL only 5x5. We have two or three owners with lots of money.

Last years winner gets the first throw. He is one that has few keepers and lots of money. It then goes clockwise. I will try to sit next to him for the second throw. I will throw out Machado or Trout for $40 and then sit back and watch.

Comment

I agree with this. I have always tried to spend my time and energy building my roster, throwing more players that I wanted. Either guys will be sitting on them or they want. There is just as much chance someone will be sitting on them later in the auction. And I don't recommend price enforcing. Getting caught once can throw off your plan.
                          I price enforce to roughly 80% of value. I'll let someone else have a deal but not an amazing deal. The only way you can get caught price enforcing really is with closers. Getting a 3rd or 4th closer on a a price enforcement is just terrible. I've done it and I've seen others do it. Having a better than expected player at any other position just means that you need to adjust your draft on the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by burkkake View Post
                            I price enforce to roughly 80% of value. I'll let someone else have a deal but not an amazing deal. The only way you can get caught price enforcing really is with closers. Getting a 3rd or 4th closer on a a price enforcement is just terrible. I've done it and I've seen others do it. Having a better than expected player at any other position just means that you need to adjust your draft on the fly.
                            What value system do you use when you figure the 80% that you will go? I assume that when we are talking about price enforcing, then we are referring to players we wouldn't ordinarily purchase. Are these players you would buy if the bidding stopped at 80% of value?

Comment

What value system do you use when you figure the 80% that you will go? I assume that when we are talking about price enforcing, then we are referring to players we wouldn't ordinarily purchase. Are these players you would buy if the bidding stopped at 80% of value?
                              Personally I have a very short list of players who I don't want, mostly due to injuries, and I will never price enforce on those players. For everyone else, I have several guys I like, but for the rest of the field, especially early on, I am playing the value game. If I can buy a guy at 80% then I'm ahead of the game.

I look at ADP and auction values across various sites to establish highs and lows and then place my own valuation on most players as to what I think they will "earn".

Where this breaks down, is that later in an auction I do try to start looking for specific categories or positions, and I can no longer enforce. But I do tend to bid the most in all of my auctions. Like the idea of mixing up who you throw out, I find that bidding on a large quantity of players helps me hide those that I am more interested in.

Comment

Working...
                              X