Opening Nomination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burkkake View Post
    I price enforce to roughly 80% of value. I'll let someone else have a deal but not an amazing deal. The only way you can get caught price enforcing really is with closers. Getting a 3rd or 4th closer on a a price enforcement is just terrible. I've done it and I've seen others do it. Having a better than expected player at any other position just means that you need to adjust your draft on the fly.
    this goes to my point about having a "I'll take him" price on almost everybody. we're basically doing the same thing.

although last year I had Dee Gordon for 20 so had no interest in Villar. by the time he was nominated, my roster options were limited. one owner reluctantly bid up to 8, and I looked at him wide-eyed as I heard "going once...." He got him for 8 - and finished a close second for the year. Now, Villar was unproven, but if he came up earlier I'd have gone to 10 or 12. frustrating part was how many owners needed speed yet weren't interested.

and Dee Gordon. lol #11thplace
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

We all like to see money "flowing" at the beginning of the auction - thus, the all-star names get thrown out quickly. If they haven't when it comes to my turn, I make sure the "elephant in the room" gets released.

Another idea is to throw names of those who've had great hype in the previous year or two. Your idea of throwing out Trea Turner is a great example. Other names to consider: (NL) Trevor Story, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Wil Myers, and exploit Eric Thames' winter helium; (AL) Andrew Benintendi, Alex Bregman, Francisco Lindor, Xander Bogaerts, Gary Sanchez, and Carlos Correra.

Depending on how soon it is in the auction (the earlier the better) you can sometimes get these younger players for what the group will later agree was a "bargain" because league mates will be saving money for the "next" guy, OR you'll see these guys go for ridiculous prices (this happens typically later in the auction when guys have money because they didn't spend early and realize they need to buy now).

There really isn't a surprise if you're in a league of experienced fantasy owners. As others have suggested, try to mix up your strategy. BIG or hyped names early is typically what I like to throw. Throw Turner - watch the group get excited.
      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

I've previously read (years ago) and have known to be pretty much correct is the first (and sometimes the second) go for under what they should have and then the auction loosens up... and the prices go for market value or higher. Therefore, based on my experience, I would throw out a player that I want to own in that situation...and try to get him for a little value.

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
          I've previously read (years ago) and have known to be pretty much correct is the first (and sometimes the second) go for under what they should have and then the auction loosens up... and the prices go for market value or higher. Therefore, based on my experience, I would throw out a player that I want to own in that situation...and try to get him for a little value.
          Agree with this, unless that player's name is "Trout". Then my experience is all hell breaks loose.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It varies by league, but this is all good advice.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
              It doesn't matter who you nominate, the system is rigged..........
              I'm sorry, but the Bernie Sanders discussion is in the Sports Bar.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Tom Murphy is a guy I really want to buy on a nice first year contract this year. I have an expensive keeper list and am hoping to get him at a good price, hopefully no more than $5. Need to avoid traps of last decent catcher available and being too transparent in my plan.

Would like to get him as early as possible as I have limited funds and want to know what it's going to cost. If I put him up in the first round it will raise eyebrows and I'll likely get bid up. Will nominate him in the second round if a couple of the higher profile catchers have already been sold, otherwise will wait until the 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                  Tom Murphy is a guy I really want to buy on a nice first year contract this year. I have an expensive keeper list and am hoping to get him at a good price, hopefully no more than $5. Need to avoid traps of last decent catcher available and being too transparent in my plan.

Would like to get him as early as possible as I have limited funds and want to know what it's going to cost. If I put him up in the first round it will raise eyebrows and I'll likely get bid up. Will nominate him in the second round if a couple of the higher profile catchers have already been sold, otherwise will wait until the 3rd.
                  I'm not so sure Murphy will get enough playing time to warrant $5. If you were able to get him for $1 as a flyer? You would have to have a solid back up plan which would be tough do. I assume you can't 3 catchers or 2 if you are in a 1 catcher league. You'd have to wait until the reserve rounds if you have them or get one off the ww after the draft is over. The quality of catcher you would get in those scenarios would not be good.

I like Murphy too and am considering trying to get him but I think it is risky. Especially for the first half of the season. He could be gret as long term piece for your team.

To throw him out in rond 1 would most likely only raise eyebrows and up his price as you've said. I would think round 3 at the earliest if you really want him. But I think you could wait later than that.

Comment

Originally posted by deaccat View Post
                    I'm not so sure Murphy will get enough playing time to warrant $5. If you were able to get him for $1 as a flyer? You would have to have a solid back up plan which would be tough do. I assume you can't 3 catchers or 2 if you are in a 1 catcher league. You'd have to wait until the reserve rounds if you have them or get one off the ww after the draft is over. The quality of catcher you would get in those scenarios would not be good.

I like Murphy too and am considering trying to get him but I think it is risky. Especially for the first half of the season. He could be gret as long term piece for your team.

To throw him out in rond 1 would most likely only raise eyebrows and up his price as you've said. I would think round 3 at the earliest if you really want him. But I think you could wait later than that.
                    Sometimes in two catcher only leagues the best stats we get out of catcher is when they are on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by deaccat View Post

To throw him out in round 1 would most likely only raise eyebrows and up his price as you've said. I would think round 3 at the earliest if you really want him. But I think you could wait later than that.
                      I'm definitely looking at him as a long term piece as at the moment am feeling good about my keepers. We have 2 catchers, so he will definitely be bought by somebody. In my league I can easily see a couple of the rebuilding teams bidding him up to at least $3 or $4 and I'm willing to go as high as $5 given my roster. I think my best bet is to get him nominated while there's still some other biddable catchers on the board, but this is the guy I want. I know, I know....don't fall in love with anyone, but there it is.

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
                        We all like to see money "flowing" at the beginning of the auction - thus, the all-star names get thrown out quickly. If they haven't when it comes to my turn, I make sure the "elephant in the room" gets released.

Another idea is to throw names of those who've had great hype in the previous year or two. Your idea of throwing out Trea Turner is a great example. Other names to consider: (NL) Trevor Story, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Wil Myers, and exploit Eric Thames' winter helium; (AL) Andrew Benintendi, Alex Bregman, Francisco Lindor, Xander Bogaerts, Gary Sanchez, and Carlos Correra.

Depending on how soon it is in the auction (the earlier the better) you can sometimes get these younger players for what the group will later agree was a "bargain" because league mates will be saving money for the "next" guy, OR you'll see these guys go for ridiculous prices (this happens typically later in the auction when guys have money because they didn't spend early and realize they need to buy now).

There really isn't a surprise if you're in a league of experienced fantasy owners. As others have suggested, try to mix up your strategy. BIG or hyped names early is typically what I like to throw. Throw Turner - watch the group get excited.

Andrew Benintendi is another great idea. Being that I am up in New England, he will be a highly-coveted and overpaid for player.
                        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                          Andrew Benintendi is another great idea. Being that I am up in New England, he will be a highly-coveted and overpaid for player.
                          Good idea.

Another one is to throw out the annual spring training stats leader.

Maikel Franco was overpriced due to his 9 spring HRs last year and he's off to a similar start hitting .500 with 3 HRs so far. Someone will overpay.

Comment

my approach can go one of two ways. If I have a decent amount of saves or steals already, I toss out the highest money grabbing players for those categories until theyre exhausted. Theres also a time or two I try to sneak a guy I like with my first nom as many like to hoard their money early on and I might get a slight discount as compared to the other guys tossed in the first quarter.
                            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Sometimes in two catcher only leagues the best stats we get out of catcher is when they are on the bench.
                              ^this
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                Good idea.

Another one is to throw out the annual spring training stats leader.

Maikel Franco was overpriced due to his 9 spring HRs last year and he's off to a similar start hitting .500 with 3 HRs so far. Someone will overpay.
                                I like that idea too. Franco went for wayyyy too much last year. I like it.
                                Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Working...
                                X