2017 - free agent thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    won the quarter final round, going 8-1-1. This week in the semis I'm up against the #1 team. The guy has a killer lineup, I'm gonna have to have a big week to make it into the finals - hopefully my Matt Olson stays hot & his Rhys Hoskins gets cold.
    who is your roster? and did you get them with trades or waiver moves? just curious how you go there

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      who is your roster? and did you get them with trades or waiver moves? just curious how you go there
      I've turned my roster over a lot (I'm at 98 moves); I've tried to go with only one hitter on the bench since I was able to pick up Marwin who is eligible everywhere - I tried to have 4 SPs on my bench & sit anyone starting at Coors or anywhere else it doesn't look promising; a lot of weeks I took all 5 pitching cats. I made two trades in this league, and only have one guy still on my roster from those (mind you I kept Ian Kinsler for most of the season who I also traded for early on; I just dumped him for Moncada a week ago).

'original' means I picked him up after dumping my roster right after the draft.

C-T D'Arnaud (original)
      1B - J Abreu (wc, back in May)
      2B - Y Moncada (wc last week)
      SS - Z Cozart (wc in April!)
      3B - N Castellanos (wc in Aug)
      OF - M Olson (wc in Aug)
      OF - D Santana (original)
      OF - D Deshields (wc in Aug)
      UT - J Bour (wc in June)
      UT - J Gallo (wc in May)
      BN - M Gonzales (wc in May)

SP - E Santana (original)
      SP - J Quintana (trade)
      SP - JA Happ (wc July)
      SP - Z Godley (wc June)
      SP - L Weaver (wc Aug)
      SP - D Fister (wc Sept)
      SP - L Giolito (wc Sept)
      SP - G Richards (wc Sept)

RP - S Doolittle (wc June)
      RP - F Rivero (wc July)
      RP - C Knebel (wc May)
      RP - C Green (wc Aug)
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Into the 2nd round.

J Team

Robinson Chirinos Tex - C
        Rhys Hoskins Phi - 1B,OF
        Brian Dozier Min - 2B
        Nicholas Castellanos Det - 3B,OF
        Ozzie Albies Atl - 2B,SS
        Byron Buxton Min - OF
        Delino DeShields Tex - OF
        Eric Thames Mil - 1B,OF
        Mitch Haniger Sea - OF
        Whit Merrifield KC - 2B,OF

Trevor Williams Pit - SP,RP
        Patrick Corbin Ari - SP,RP
        Corey Knebel Mil - RP Corey
        Juan Nicasio StL - SP,RP
        Sean Doolittle Was - RP
        Dinelson Lamet SD - SP
        Lucas Giolito CWS - SP

Andrew Miller Cle - RP
        Carlos Santana Cle - 1B,OF
        Maikel Franco Phi - 3B
        Jorge Polanco Min - 2B,3B,SS
        Tyler Mahle Cin - SP
        Jake Arrieta ChC - SP

Arrietta and Dozier by trade. Rest off WW.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          I've turned my roster over a lot (I'm at 98 moves); I've tried to go with only one hitter on the bench since I was able to pick up Marwin who is eligible everywhere - I tried to have 4 SPs on my bench & sit anyone starting at Coors or anywhere else it doesn't look promising; a lot of weeks I took all 5 pitching cats. I made two trades in this league, and only have one guy still on my roster from those (mind you I kept Ian Kinsler for most of the season who I also traded for early on; I just dumped him for Moncada a week ago).

'original' means I picked him up after dumping my roster right after the draft.

C-T D'Arnaud (original)
          1B - J Abreu (wc, back in May)
          2B - Y Moncada (wc last week)
          SS - Z Cozart (wc in April!)
          3B - N Castellanos (wc in Aug)
          OF - M Olson (wc in Aug)
          OF - D Santana (original)
          OF - D Deshields (wc in Aug)
          UT - J Bour (wc in June)
          UT - J Gallo (wc in May)
          BN - M Gonzales (wc in May)

SP - E Santana (original)
          SP - J Quintana (trade)
          SP - JA Happ (wc July)
          SP - Z Godley (wc June)
          SP - L Weaver (wc Aug)
          SP - D Fister (wc Sept)
          SP - L Giolito (wc Sept)
          SP - G Richards (wc Sept)

RP - S Doolittle (wc June)
          RP - F Rivero (wc July)
          RP - C Knebel (wc May)
          RP - C Green (wc Aug)
          How are the Santanas original? Both were top 300.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            How are the Santanas original? Both were top 300.
            hey, these free leagues have some crazy things going on! I went back & double checked & yep, neither was drafted; there are a couple of teams in this league that were real homers, loading up on Yankees, & Giants/Dodgers.

in late breaking news, I looked at Baltimore's starting lineup & saw all their starters are in there tonight, so I decided to bail on Fister, moving him to the bench & then waiving him for Collin McHugh who starts tomorrow against the white sox; I'm really unsure about starting Ervin in Yankee stadium tonight, but you gotta go with your big names in the big games, right???
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

OK. They were on WW before the start of the season. I thought you meant you drafted them.

I picked up Carlos Santana the same way. What's with the name Santana?

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

well, I made it into the finals, 8-2 over the 1st place team. Score was more comfortable than it actually was tho, as he was close in several cats.

the last week is always unpredictable with teams resting some players & starting others ... we'll see what happens.

anyone else?

edit: first day of the finals, Luke Weaver+ Zack Godley = 13 ER. ouch. I'm now thinking of dumping ERA & Ratio & loading up on SPs for the rest of the week to try to win W & Ks ... and see what happens with the other cats.
                Last edited by TranaGreg; 09-26-2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

WOOT! First place in a Free Agent League!!! It was really dicey - a good start from Jason Vargas yesterday might have been enough to push me out (pitching cats were close), but he imploded in the 4th and then all was good.

YahooLeague.JPG

Comment

That's awesome, TG! Congrats!

Comment

• Thought of this last night - two weeks to opening day, it's time to pick our free agent teams ... I'm gonna set up a team this weekend.

Since I mastered H2H last year (ahem ... ), I'm gonna stick to roto-style this year.

Comment

• Crap, you're right, I totally need to do this. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

• I got in a league on Sat, waiver period ends tonight so I can pick from the available FAs ... there's a bit of power available, but all with mediocre BA (LoMo, Chapman, Schleber), and a bit of speed (Zimmer, Arcia). I think I'll be able to cobble together a rotation, albeit high risk (Bundy, Roark, Mikolas, Heaney), but there are no saves available ... of course that will change, but I'll be looking at strong setup guys where closers are uncertain (Givens, Reed, even EdwardsJr).

It's not pretty, but I suppose that's the idea ...

Comment

• my league drafts tonight - picked the crappiest of the crap
                            we will see

Comment

• Wow, the pitching seems harder than usual. Here's what I've got from just free agents. I think I'm going to need to go really heavy on RPs and try to win saves and ratios and Ks (because of the huge K/9s) and settle for crappy wins. I just don't see a way to build a rotation that can compete in both ratios and Ks, at least right now. Speed is a problem - I may have to suck up Peraza's other categories and get him in the lineup most days.

C - Iannetta and Flowers
                              1B - Alonso
                              2B - Neil Walker
                              SS - Cozart
                              3B - Josh Harrison
                              OF - Choo, C-Dick, Hicks
                              UT - Jose Martinez, Semien
                              Bench - Reddick, Peraza

SP - Wacha, Lynn, Manaea, Odorizzi, J Montgomery
                              RP - Peacock, Edwards, Reed, Minter, Leone

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                                Wow, the pitching seems harder than usual. Here's what I've got from just free agents. I think I'm going to need to go really heavy on RPs and try to win saves and ratios and Ks (because of the huge K/9s) and settle for crappy wins. I just don't see a way to build a rotation that can compete in both ratios and Ks, at least right now. Speed is a problem - I may have to suck up Peraza's other categories and get him in the lineup most days.

C - Iannetta and Flowers
                                1B - Alonso
                                2B - Neil Walker
                                SS - Cozart
                                3B - Josh Harrison
                                OF - Choo, C-Dick, Hicks
                                UT - Jose Martinez, Semien
                                Bench - Reddick, Peraza

SP - Wacha, Lynn, Manaea, Odorizzi, J Montgomery
                                RP - Peacock, Edwards, Reed, Minter, Leone
                                yeah I was thinking similarly ... with Edwards, Peacock, Reed, etc, we might be able to be competetive in Ks, esp. in the early going (while starters are only going 5-6-7 IP).

fwiw I think Ianetta could have a big year in Col; maybe Walker adapts to NYY's short RF porch; and of course there will always be a bunch of dumps in the first few weeks (at least we won't feel bad about cutting guys! )

Comment

Working...
                                X