Your 2017 Sleepers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your 2017 Sleepers.

In today's age it is really hard to find true sleepers. But we still play hunches or find bargains or just plain old like players at the end of drafts or in dollar days.

Who are yours for this year?

There are no wrong answers. That said I would like to encourage discussion.

Please tell us if you are in mixed, AL, or NL, auction or draft.

On the pitching side NL only, I am liking Aaron Nola this year. A lot of people will be afraid of health issues. Only 23 years old. Big K's a bit of wildness. He is reporting to camp with no restrictions and says he is feeling "great." For risk takers he could pay off huge. If he is $10 or less in your NL only trade for him now.

I am an Aaron Nola owner, I asked for him as a sweetener at the trade deadline. Unfortunately he is $15B which means I can play him out or give him a raise at $5 per year. No way would I give him a raise. If he was $15A I would easily keep him. At this time I am trying to trade him for something I need. If I do not get the deal done I most likely will throw him back with the hopes of getting a new contract for $15 or less. When the 11 other owners (some with lots of money) see the lack of pitching that is in the auction, I believe he will go for high teens or low twenties.

Jim Johnson....40 saves....book it.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Atlanta Braves 41 wins - book it

actually on second thought they are not terrible anymore, but still a weird collection of players
      http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/team/d...hart/?c_id=atl

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Classic case of a good closer on a bad team? Not much competition but Vizcaino and Cabrera did get into the mix last year. Last year I drafted Allen/Giles early and regretted it. Dyson and Gomez ended up being my workhorses. So this year I plan to wait on closers. I will keep JJ on my radar.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

in Toronto, if Dalton Pompey has a good spring he could force his way into a platoon with Melvin Upton, possibly even forcing Upton out. With 300-400 PA's Pompey could get 30+ SBs. Of course he could spend the whole season in Buffalo as well ... high risk, high reward.

I also think Steve Pearce will thrive up here. I look for big numbers from him.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            Classic case of a good closer on a bad team? Not much competition but Vizcaino and Cabrera did get into the mix last year. Last year I drafted Allen/Giles early and regretted it. Dyson and Gomez ended up being my workhorses. So this year I plan to wait on closers. I will keep JJ on my radar.
            I could see Cabrera with his 100+ fb getting the job early & running with it.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              Atlanta Braves 41 wins - book it

actually on second thought they are not terrible anymore, but still a weird collection of players
              http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/team/d...hart/?c_id=atl
              If he has 20+ at the break, the Braves will flip him for prospects and he'll end up a middle reliever on a contender.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                They won't let him get too many saves to keep his price down in arbitration down the road. Johnson has it until he implodes or gets traded, although one or the other with likely happen, so he or Vizcaino will likely get a shot eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  They won't let him get too many saves to keep his price down in arbitration down the road.
                  Was going to post the exact same thing about Cabrera and Vizcaino. Since Johnson has a cheap two year contract i think the Braves ride him at least until the 2018 trade deadline. They may even surprise everyone again by extending his contract if they can do it on the cheap. I think it's hilarious how in 2016 everyone kept saying Johnson is getting dumped by the Braves at the trade deadline. Then when that didn't happen everyone said the younger guy with the better stuff is coming back to push Johnson into middle relief. Then when that didn't happen everyone said that Johnson will never be resigned by the Braves. And after that happened the entire rumor cycle just started repeating itself lol. Meanwhile Johnson just kept rolling along and getting guys out in the ninth inning. Obviously, Johnson made an impression with both the coaches and the front office with his contribution to the Braves performance down the stretch last year. The Braves were 35-27 (.565 win pct) over the final 10 weeks of 2016. And here's Jim Johnson's numbers over the final 10 weeks of 2016:

ip-30
                  h-22
                  bb-6
                  k-39
                  er-5
                  era-1.50
                  whip-0.93
                  saves-18 in 18 chances
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

in Toronto, if Dalton Pompey has a good spring he could force his way into a platoon with Melvin Upton, possibly even forcing Upton out. With 300-400 PA's Pompey could get 30+ SBs. Of course he could spend the whole season in Buffalo as well ... high risk, high reward.
                    High risk, yes. Not so sure about the reward. He could/should see some playing time this year -- Toronto needs to inject some youth into its lineup -- but I doubt he has much fantasy impact, certainly not 30-plus-steal impact.

Comment

Cabrera's spin rate is really bad and that makes it difficult to miss enough bats to really take advantage of throwing so fast. The higher the spin rate the harder it is for a hitter to pick it up.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Domingo Santana- Hurt last year, and has a bit of a health history. But the power is very legit, and he has decent speed. Young, controllable, and in a favorable hitting park.

Luke Weaver - saw this guy. He can really pitch. Add in rumors of Alex Reyes getting TJ surgery (or at least having a bum elbow), and I think he'll do very well.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Toles should get a reasonable amount of playing time in LA and provides lots of speed.

Comment

Travis Shaw looks like a lock for 500 AB barring injury. Even the Fangraphs line of 20 HR .245/.314/.431 is worth noting. With assured plate time he could blossom. A word of warning--he's been streaky in the past.

Side note, I miss the increased PT thread.

J
                            Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-15-2017, 03:13 AM.
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              Travis Shaw looks like a lock for 500 AB barring injury. Even the Fangraphs line of 20 HR .245/.314/.431 is worth noting. With assured plate time he could blossom. A word of warning--he's been streaky in the past.

Side note, I miss the increased PT thread.

J
                              I like this one as well. I am hoping he goes later in the auction when a bunch of money is off the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X