Tinkering with my 5x5 NL only team.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in agreement with most of the posters here:

1) No need to extend Schwarber. I'd say that I like him as much, or more, than most, but he hasn't really proven that he's worth the $20 this year AND next.
    2) I'm also not high on Nola, especially for $15. There will be many, much more boring, but less volatile starters available in the $10-$15 range.
    3) I like Urias, but I think it's going to be tough for him to earn $15 in 2017. I think he's more likely to earn $35 in 2019.
    4) Not sure I'd keep Rodney, even at $10. I'd throw him back and let someone else bid him to $19 or $22 because he has the title. I'd rather him be overpriced on another team. Then grab Barrett or Delgado or someone else.
    5) I think Barraclough is a good keep, and you could be pleasantly surprised with what you get from him this season.
    6) Strategically, I wouldn't want to keep that much pitching. I do my best (although it certainly can't always be avoided) to have open spots where there is the most depth. In my NLs, that's usually pitching and the OF. You have very little wiggle room there. Plus, I don't feel Madbum, Roark, Urias, Nola, Anderson (plus a couple more mid-range guys) is anything but a bottom half pitching staff. I like Barraclough, but Rodney won't help you in anything but saves. I wouldn't bank on a Roark repeat and Urias is limited and his voice has yet to crack. Nola scares me and Anderson is in Colorado. Adding Kershaw would do wonders for this team, but it probably wouldn't be enough to push it into the top tier.

It's a fine keeper list, with many really good pieces, but it has too much risk for me, especially with pitchers.

Comment

I wouldn't keep Kang if suspended 50.
      With your keeper list, Rodney is exactly the type of pitcher you don't want. I won't be going $10 on Rodney anywhere.
      I don't think Nola will hold up either and as Dane mentioned, get a more boring pitcher in the $10-$15 range.
      Anderson, nope.

If you could get Kershaw for Urias, do it.

Nice keeper list.

Comment

I agree with Dane on keeping too many Ps. every year I see someone run out of P slots and then bang the table as a desirable guy goes for a buck. It's less an issue when you have a strong keeper list like this, but you may run the risk of finding out too late that the cheaper market was for Ps - and if so, you can't exploit that. We both prefer to be able to zig if the market zags......
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Thanks again to all for the input. It was all very helpful.

I made an offer of Nola and my 5h round for Kershaw and his 13th. He rejected and offered Kershaw for Schwarber. I rejected and offered Urias straight up. He countered with Urias and Barraclough for Kershaw.

I rejected and tried different non-keeper (as discussed here) combos with Urias. All were rejected. I decided not to let a $2 MR stand in the way of having Kershaw. I resubmitted his offer and he took it. Urias and Barraclough for Kershaw.

So now my pitching staff is:

P-Kershaw $45 and done

P-Madison Bumgarner-$32B

P-Tanner Roark-$4B-

P-Jeurys Familia-$6Y-keep and done

P-Fernando Rodney-$10A

I will have to see if I can turn Nola, Anderson, and Rodney into a keeper.
          Last edited by Gregg; 02-03-2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Nice! Bearclaw is a loss, but I still really like that deal for you. I didn't talk about it earlier, but the other benefit of a deal like this is the psychological benefit - those who want to compete may well make bad panic-induced deals, and those who are on the fence will likely dump early.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Awesome! Nice work, Gregg!

Comment

Working...
              X