Can this rotation be competitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this rotation be competitive?

Just a quick question. If I chose to enter the season with the following eight pitchers, could I be competitive in the pitching categories, I'd obviously add closers.

18 team mixed standard 5x5

Gerrit Cole
    Michael Fulmer
    Aaron Sanchez
    Drew Pomeranz
    Descalfini
    Finnegan
    Daniel Norris
    Michael Feliz

Salaries are all good so just looking for thoughts regarding their potential as a staff, individual concerns welcome as well.

Thanks!

I don't think so.

I love Cole, but he's dubious as an anchor.

Fulmer and Sanchez are pretty good, but more like a #4 and a #5 on a competitive staff, instead of a #2 and #3.

In 2016, Pomeranz doubled his innings from 2015. I'm worried he could fall apart.

The rest are flyers in that depth of a league.

Comment

Yeah, I tend to agree with Dane. It's not far off, but it needs work.

Cole is an SP2, Sanchez and Fulmer are SP4s, DeSclafani is a solid SP5. Pomeranz, who knows? The other guys I have no confidence in.

In the auction target an ace and a SP3.

Comment

Nope. You need to add two starting pitchers who are solidly above replacement level.
        Last edited by senorsheep; 01-20-2017, 11:13 AM.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Agree with the above. You need an SP1 plus an SP3. Or a pair of SP2's and some really good fortune with Cole.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

so now salaries worth listing
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Chris Sale 36
              Gerrit Cole 16…...... 2018
              Michael Fulmer 5b
              Aaron Sanchez 5b
              Drew Pomeranz 3b
              Descalfini 2b
              Finnegan 3b
              Daniel Norris 1
              Michael Feliz 3

Salaries
              Last edited by Hodor; 01-20-2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Update, just traded for Sale at 36.

Comment

Maybe now. With Sale, you have a #1, a #2, and three good dice rolls. You need one more and solid is good enough. Not done yet, but it's close enough to dream.

It could be worse. I have a rotation of Carrasco, Rodon, Manaea with Giolito and Z Wheeler as depth. At least the team can hit.

J
                  Last edited by onejayhawk; 01-20-2017, 09:23 PM.
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                    Update, just traded for Sale at 36.

I like the staff with Sale, though to me, the biggest question is going to be if there are tradeable in-season assets to further supplement the pitching. This staff is sorta competitive at this point, but to be truly competitive in a league like this, you need at least 2-3 more very good SPs. Your trading skills will get a workout!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
                      I like the staff with Sale, though to me, the biggest question is going to be if there are tradeable in-season assets to further supplement the pitching. This staff is sorta competitive at this point, but to be truly competitive in a league like this, you need at least 2-3 more very good SPs. Your trading skills will get a workout!
                      I'm working on those as we speak

Comment

For more context, this league allows twice a week roster changes (M-Thur and F-Sun). IMO, this makes streaming / playing matchups much more viable if you have the SP depth to shuttle guys in and out (as well as fill in with RP). I'm bullish on Sanchez and if Fulmer repeats LY then I think you should be ok assuming you finish towards the top in Saves. I say this because I don't think your ratios will be dominant so you will need to make that up elsewhere. I don't love having AL East pitchers though as in a mixed league all things being equal its always better to go NL for pitching if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                          For more context, this league allows twice a week roster changes (M-Thur and F-Sun). IMO, this makes streaming / playing matchups much more viable if you have the SP depth to shuttle guys in and out (as well as fill in with RP). I'm bullish on Sanchez and if Fulmer repeats LY then I think you should be ok assuming you finish towards the top in Saves. I say this because I don't think your ratios will be dominant so you will need to make that up elsewhere. I don't love having AL East pitchers though as in a mixed league all things being equal its always better to go NL for pitching if possible.
                          But at this point, there are nine keepers at pitcher, and none of them are closers. Everyone hunts cheap closers in this league, so I don't know that's going to be a solid option. So You either keep Kimbrel instead of one of the current picks, or go hunting for the mid-tier guys that may be out of a job by July...

It's an interesting strategy to try to corner a market, I'll be watching closely to see if it can work.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            But at this point, there are nine keepers at pitcher, and none of them are closers. Everyone hunts cheap closers in this league, so I don't know that's going to be a solid option. So You either keep Kimbrel instead of one of the current picks, or go hunting for the mid-tier guys that may be out of a job by July...

It's an interesting strategy to try to corner a market, I'll be watching closely to see if it can work.
                            Fair point. In a vacuum though I do think this strategy can work but to your point there won't be many closers available and those that will be will not be cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

The plan is to keep eight arms, including Kimbrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X