2017 RJ Mock One Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revo, PMed you my picks. Thanks.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I was wondering when Familia would go. I guess the threat of an impending suspension being held over his head has suppressed his value, but arguably he's the 3rd best closer out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I was wondering when Familia would go. I guess the threat of an impending suspension being held over his head has suppressed his value, but arguably he's the 3rd best closer out there.
        I have to confess that I forgot about the potential suspension. I guess that's why we do they mock drafts.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          I have to confess that I forgot about the potential suspension. I guess that's why we do they mock drafts.
          Still a good pick at this stage. At worst, what does he miss, 30 games?

Comment

Still a good pick at this stage. At worst, what does he miss, 30 games?
            At least 30 games, according to RotoWorld:

Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News hears from industry sources that Jeurys Familia's suspension is likely to be at least 30 games.
            Familia's domestic assault charge was dismissed Thursday after his wife, Bianca Rivas, declined to press charges following an incident on October 31. There's precedent for a 30-game suspension, as that's what Aroldis Chapman received last year after his girlfriend declined to press charges after a domestic assault incident. There's no timetable for when Major League Baseball will officially announce a decision. The Mets will use Addison Reed to close games while Familia is away.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              At least 30 games, according to RotoWorld:

Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News hears from industry sources that Jeurys Familia's suspension is likely to be at least 30 games.
              Familia's domestic assault charge was dismissed Thursday after his wife, Bianca Rivas, declined to press charges following an incident on October 31. There's precedent for a 30-game suspension, as that's what Aroldis Chapman received last year after his girlfriend declined to press charges after a domestic assault incident. There's no timetable for when Major League Baseball will officially announce a decision. The Mets will use Addison Reed to close games while Familia is away.
              While Familia has been very good, on stats alone, Reed has actually been the better pitcher of the two since he's been in NY. I wonder what happens if Reed is successful in April, he was lights out last year and he has been a closer in the past. What are the chances that Familia never sees that closer role again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                While Familia has been very good, on stats alone, Reed has actually been the better pitcher of the two since he's been in NY. I wonder what happens if Reed is successful in April, he was lights out last year and he has been a closer in the past. What are the chances that Familia never sees that closer role again?
                I would doubt he keeps the job.

Familia led the majors in saves last season and has proven he can handle the role. I understand what you're saying about Reed, and while it's true that Familia has been exemplary but Reed's stats have been better, he is a FA after the year and is likely a goner.

Comment

I would doubt he keeps the job.

Familia led the majors in saves last season and has proven he can handle the role. I understand what you're saying about Reed, and while it's true that Familia has been exemplary but Reed's stats have been better, he is a FA after the year and is likely a goner.
                  Isn't that last sentence actually a plus for Reed in the closer role? Keeping Reed in the closers role reduces Familia's saves which reduces arbitration price down for next year. They don't care about Reed's price in 2018 because he's gone anyway.

Comment

• Peraza pick intrigues me - does he have a starting role?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      Peraza pick intrigues me - does he have a starting role?
                      not right now
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Yeah, i really like Morales in Toronto too. I was hoping his lack of a position would allow him to make it back to me. I guess not. Nice pick!
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Robertson is on my do not touch list this season. He's got three yuuuuge red flags: subpar performance in 2016; the risk of being on a rebuilding team who is dying to trade him; and the risk of his set-up guy being much better than he is.

Not saying he won't skate past all three, but that's too much of a risk for me this year.

Comment

• Man, it was a coin flip between Hill and Fulmer for me.

Comment

Robertson is on my do not touch list this season. He's got three yuuuuge red flags: subpar performance in 2016; the risk of being on a rebuilding team who is dying to trade him; and the risk of his set-up guy being much better than he is.

Not saying he won't skate past all three, but that's too much of a risk for me this year.
                              Agreed.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                                Man, it was a coin flip between Hill and Fulmer for me.
                                There was a pretty good article on Fulmer in last week's Sports Illustrated. He spends some of his off-season working as a plumber.
                                "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                                "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                                WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                                PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Working...
                                X