Jose Fernandez - RIP (confirmed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Enough of that bullshit, back to focusing on Jose and his friends...

Reading that the jetty had no lights on it...is that really a thing down in Florida? If so, maybe some good might come out of it by installing safety measures that literally so simple it could be done in no time at all.
    Exactly the same thought I had - we have red flashing lights on almost everything within a couple of miles of an airport, why wouldn't there be lights on jetties?
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Great tweet by Ian Desmond...

Ian Desmond ‏@IDesmond20 49m49 minutes ago

Live. You can't wait for status, money, approval whatever's holding you back. Live! With love and joy. Push people around you to do same.

376 retweets 496 likes

Reply Retweeted 376
      Like 496
      More
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

At a loss for words ....

Tragic.
        "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
        "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
        WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
        PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

So awful, reminds me of when I heard the new of Oscar Taveras. So sad, Fernandez seemed like such a nice, happy, fun guy. A tragic loss.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Just terrible. He was not only a great baseball player but a heroic figure. His escape from Cuba and rescue of his mother was inspirational. The kind of life story that they make movies about. RIP, Jose.

Reminds me of another fatal boating accident that killed Indians pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews in 1993. That was also in Florida and they also crashed into a pier but it happened on a lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              Delaney died by drowning as he tried to save three children from the same fate. he was a true hero, not just an athlete.

it's awful that Fernandez died, obviously, but it's extremely likely you are selling Delaney short here with the comparison. granted, you are talking about the news of his death, and not the circumstances. I just think Delaney is on another plane from most athletes who die young, and I'd like to keep him there.
              Thanks for the thoughts. That said, Fernandez was more than just another baseball player as well.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Anyone remember the boating accident that killed Tim Crews of the Indians in 93? Can't remember the name of the second player killed in that accident.

Also, Penguins rookie Michel Briere was killed in an auto accident after his first year back in the early 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                  Anyone remember the boating accident that killed Tim Crews of the Indians in 93? Can't remember the name of the second player killed in that accident.

Also, Penguins rookie Michel Briere was killed in an auto accident after his first year back in the early 70s.
                  As mentioned above, Steve Olin. Bob Ojeda was also on the boat, and I remember it was a pretty emotional day when he returned to the mound. Olin was the Indians closer when the accident happened.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

What a terrible loss. At age 24, his best years were most likely still ahead of him. It's even more sad for his friends and family and unborn child. RIP Jose.

"The magnanimity of his personality transcended culture, religion and race, I mean it just did," Marlins President David Samson said at an emotional news conference Sunday afternoon, flanked by the team and other officials. Several people appeared visibly shaken.
                    "Jose is a member of this family for all time," Samson said. "His story is representative of a story of hope, and of love and of faith, and no one will ever let that story die."
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

With all of the millions of dollars thrown around in baseball, hopefully the Marlins and MLB will do the right thing and make sure that his girlfriend and child are taken care of.

This was tweeted by Jose Fernandez just 5 days before his tragic death. Heartbreaking stuff.
                      Last edited by madducks; 09-25-2016, 03:48 PM.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

From 8/25/2013. What an athlete. He will be missed.
                        Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Dee Gordon takes the 1st pitch right-handed, wearing Jose's helmet. Switches back lefty and hit his 1st homer of the season...rounds the bases in tears.

I often say, you simply can't make this stuff up...it would be dismissed as too corny for any movie. RIP Jose...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Dee Gordon takes the 1st pitch right-handed, wearing Jose's helmet. Switches back lefty and hit his 1st homer of the season...rounds the bases in tears.

I often say, you simply can't make this stuff up...it would be dismissed as too corny for any movie. RIP Jose...
                            You couldn't write it any better.

Comment

had cocaine & booze in him at time of death

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                                had cocaine & booze in him at time of death

http://media.local10.com/document_de...808_ver1.0.pdf
                                He was under the legal limit for alcohol. I don't know how to judge how much coke that is, although it seems like a small amoount. I' guessing both amounts are well within what he is used to, and that he had them in his system while boating probably speak more to his risk-taking state of mind, which led to the tragedy, more than the chemical impairment they had on him.

Comment

Working...
                                X