Is David Ortiz a Hall of Famer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
    It's easy to want to break down the HOF by numbers alone, and he fares pretty well in that, although obviously with the amount and tenor of discussion there is a degree of "gray" there and room for analysis.

But with Papi, his personality and standing in the game will make him a shoe-in, IMO. He's been central to the fabric of the game over the past decade+, and to the resurrection of one of the game's storied franchises. He's larger than life, one of baseball's true "face of the game" figures. I cant remember the last all-star/home run derby broadcast where he wasnt featured prominently. Couple that with the 500HRs, and the fact that people's last memories of him will be as a dominant player, and I think it's easy to see why he's got a 17-1 vote here. In a vacuum of purely statistical merits, which the Hall is not, maybe the vote is a little closer.
    Yeah, I know folks here are mostly about the numbers, which I generally appreciate, but you are right--his personality and overall importance to the game are big factors in passing the "it" test. Ortiz has "it." The only thing that would keep him from the hall is what has kept even better players like Bonds and Clemens from the hall--PEDs.

Comment

Exactly. Had Papi stayed in the boonies he would never sniff the Hall. His part in the 2004 Boston WS win is a difference maker.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Yeah, I know folks here are mostly about the numbers, which I generally appreciate, but you are right--his personality and overall importance to the game are big factors in passing the "it" test. Ortiz has "it." The only thing that would keep him from the hall is what has kept even better players like Bonds and Clemens from the hall--PEDs.
        Bob Kohm had an interesting bit on this concept....I can't even remember how long ago, I sure hope he can and posts. He supports your point of view, as I imagine. Well, in concept at least. As a Yankees fan, you'll have to forgive him if he can't support the concept of Ortiz in the Hall.

Seriously, he made a very good point around the concept that it's the Hall of FAME - not just the Hall of Exceeelent, or similar.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

As Bill James points out in his book on the HoF, it's a museum.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

He's one of the top 2 DH's ever, and DH is a position in MLB
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
            X