Is David Ortiz a Hall of Famer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is David Ortiz a Hall of Famer?

As Ortiz takes his victory lap, he's in the midst of perhaps his best season ever(!)

He's clearly the best ever full-time DH, but is that enough to make the Hall? And can he overcome the allegations of PED usage?

BA: .285
    OBP: .379
    SLG: .550 (26th)
    OPS: .929 (39th)
    OPS+: 140
    WAR: 52.6

Hits: 2358
    Runs: 1364
    HR: 515 (22nd)
    XBHs: 1,140 (13th)
    RBIs: 1686 (27th)
    BBs: 1263 (49th)

9x All-Star
    6x Silver Slugger
    6x Top 10 MVP
    3x World Champ
    .295/.409/.553 post-season line w/17 HRs
    .455/.576/.795 statline in the World Series
    2013 World Series MVP
    Yay
    0%
    Nay
    0%

Numbers might be borderline for someone with zero defensive value. But he also had some great post-season moments. I don't give a shit about the PEDs (though I absolutely think he did, and might still be doing, them) so I would say yes.

Comment

He was borderline a few years ago when we all thought he was done. But miraculously (or maybe PED fuelded?) he has been amazing the last few years, putting him in the sure thing category for me.

The only reason he wouldn't would be at this point is the PED stuff. You have to rightly ding him for his zero defensive value, but Paul Molitor was one of my favorite players and a deserving HOFer imo, and over half of his career innings were spent at DH, and I'm nout sure he provided much defensive value for the other half. And I think Ortiz, especially considering his post-season value was more valuable than Molitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        You have to rightly ding him for his zero defensive value, but Paul Molitor was one of my favorite players and a deserving HOFer imo, and over half of his career innings were spent at DH, and I'm nout sure he provided much defensive value for the other half. And I think Ortiz,
        especially considering his post-season value was more valuable than Molitor.
        well put. I definitely have a strong bias towards defensive contribution being a major consideration, but his post-season work gets him for me. just. but still in.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

He was borderline a few years ago when we all thought he was done. But miraculously (or maybe PED fuelded?) he has been amazing the last few years, putting him in the sure thing category for me.

The only reason he wouldn't would be at this point is the PED stuff. You have to rightly ding him for his zero defensive value, but Paul Molitor was one of my favorite players and a deserving HOFer imo, and over half of his career innings were spent at DH, and I'm not sure he provided much defensive value for the other half. And I think Ortiz, especially considering his post-season value was more valuable than Molitor.
          You are mis-remembering. In fact, it is careless to compare molitor and ortiz. Molitor spent considerable time at 3b and 2b, I don't think ortiz has seen those two bases other than when he hits a multi-base ball or when someone hides the kitkats out there on Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
            You are mis-remembering. In fact, it is careless to compare molitor and ortiz. Molitor spent considerable time at 3b and 2b, I don't think ortiz has seen those two bases other than when he hits a multi-base ball or when someone hides the kitkats out there on Halloween.
            Molitor played 2,683 career games of which 1,173 were spent at DH. So he wasn't wrong in saying Molitor spent half his career (it's more like 45%) at DH.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              Molitor played 2,683 career games of which 1,173 were spent at DH. So he wasn't wrong in saying Molitor spent half his career (it's more like 45%) at DH.
              Actually, he wrote OVER half his career at dh. Besides that, if we are talking HoF possibile, I don't think it fair to compare as 'dh' because of all the games at an actual position of defense...which ortiz does not have on his resume

Comment

Actually, he wrote OVER half his career at dh. Besides that, if we are talking HoF possibile, I don't think it fair to compare as 'dh' because of all the games at an actual position of defense...which ortiz does not have on his resume
                I went by career innings, not games played, but I see I was misreading that on baseball reference. In any event, I didn't have a keen eye for defensive play back then--he started his career when I was 1 . What value did he have as a defender when he was in the field? How much added value did he have by being out there?

I am very much in favor in discounting a good bit DHs, because they only play half the game, but it is a rule that allows them to do that, and in terms of overall value, how are they any worse than a negative value defender? In terms of value to their teams, a DH who doesn't have to field poorly is worth more than one who is forced to go out there and be horrible in the field. I mean, is Frank Thomas more of a HOFer than he would have been as a DH only player, for the god awful defense he played at 1b?
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-27-2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I went by career innings, not games played, but I see I was misreading that on baseball reference. In any event, I didn't have a keen eye for defensive play back then--he started his career when I was 1 . What value did he have as a defender when he was in the field? How much added value did he have by being out there?

I am very much in favor in discounting a good bit DHs, because they only play half the game, but it is a rule that allows them to do that, and in terms of overall value, how are they any worse than a negative value defender? In terms of value to their teams, a DH who doesn't have to field poorly is worth more than one who is forced to go out there and be horrible in the field. I mean, is Frank Thomas more of a HOFer than he would have been as a DH only player, for the god awful defense he played at 1b?
                  Frank Thomas was awesome with the bat and I love his stance on PED'S. I think the Big Hurt holds some record for most consecutive seasons of 100r/100rbi/100bb/100hr/100high fives/etc...

Comment

Frank Thomas was awesome with the bat and I love his stance on PED'S. I think the Big Hurt holds some record for most consecutive seasons of 100r/100rbi/100bb/100hr/100high fives/etc...
                    edit: I had to go look up thomas. from age 22 through 32, his second WORST on base for a season was .414. That is pretty amazing...

Comment

Frank Thomas was similar to Albert Pujols Years 1-10
                      haven't looked in a while, but I imagine Pujols padded his lead and then - not as much.....
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Molitor was an average 2B and below average 3B early in his career; well below average at both later in career. He was probably the best pure base runner not named Rickey of that era - there may have been better base stealers, but in all other aspects, he was amazing.

All that said, DH or no, I just don't see how to compare Molitor to Ortiz.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Molitor was an average 2B and below average 3B early in his career; well below average at both later in career. He was probably the best pure base runner not named Rickey of that era - there may have been better base stealers, but in all other aspects, he was amazing.

Well, they are very different players to be sure. And there is the PED aspect to Ortiz's career to consider. But my point was that if you are of the mind to put the PED stuff aside, as many here are, then it becomes a simple question of who was the more valuable player. And my secondary point was that Ortiz's zero defensive value wasn't worse for him in evaluating him as a player than another player who had a career negative defensive value.

I only watched Molitor later in his career, when he was primarily a DH and was a negative value defender. So, I brought him up as a HOFer whose entire HOF creds are based on what he did as an offensive player. Even there, we are comparing a speed guy with a power guy, but I think we probably all agree that purely as an offensive player, Ortiz has been just as valuable or more valuable than Molitor, especially considering his post-season heroics.

I suppose a better comp would have been Frank Thomas, but since Ortiz would fair more poorly with that comp, I went with a HOFer (who, again, I loved as a kid) who I believe everyone would agree SHOULD be a HOFer, who is also clearly in the HOF solely because of his offense, and who also had less offensive value than Ortiz. My logic in making that comp was that if Molitor is a HOF based solely on his offensive, and his offensive value was less than Ortiz, then Ortiz is therefore clearly a worth HOFer, even as a DH.
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-28-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

Surely you mean in the AL. There was that guy in Montreal...

I think this is close, 16-0 vote not-with-standing. His defense and baserunning are strongly negative. The PED thing matters. He has Fenway propping up his BA. If you look at the tracking numbers at B-R, he's right on the line. He would need to be pretty over the top to overcome his liabilities as a player. He is. I am bucking the trend, but I won't argue the point much. Because he's in Bostopn, it's a sure thing when the time comes.

J
                            Last edited by onejayhawk; 05-28-2016, 11:58 PM.
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

It's easy to want to break down the HOF by numbers alone, and he fares pretty well in that, although obviously with the amount and tenor of discussion there is a degree of "gray" there and room for analysis.

But with Papi, his personality and standing in the game will make him a shoe-in, IMO. He's been central to the fabric of the game over the past decade+, and to the resurrection of one of the game's storied franchises. He's larger than life, one of baseball's true "face of the game" figures. I cant remember the last all-star/home run derby broadcast where he wasnt featured prominently. Couple that with the 500HRs, and the fact that people's last memories of him will be as a dominant player, and I think it's easy to see why he's got a 17-1 vote here. In a vacuum of purely statistical merits, which the Hall is not, maybe the vote is a little closer.
                              One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Working...
                              X