Shallow vs Deep leagues, number of players drafted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallow vs Deep leagues, number of players drafted

How many players are typically drafted in "shallow" leagues? What would you consider standard settings for a 10-team league that makes it shallow? How about "deep" leagues? What sort of roster setup would be required for a 10-team league to be deep?

I ask because I'm in a 8-team league where 224 players will be rostered. Will that be deep, shallow or somewhere in the middle?

Id call a deep league a 12-team NL-only with 23-25 starting spots and 13-17 reserve spots.

And shallow would be 10-team that uses both nl and al.

I'd even call shallow a 16-team that uses nl and al

Comment

To make a 10 team deep, it has to be either A.L. or N.L. only.

25 man rosters with 15 man reserves, and all reserves have to be from NL or AL major/minor league affiliates (no drafting international/college/hs) would make it reasonably deep. Add a 5-man DL to make it deep like a 12-team league.

Comment

8 team league is very shallow - 12 team mixed is a standard shallow league

There are many here that play 23 man roster 12 team - single league NL or AL - those are considered deep leagues

but play whatever type you want to play - all of the other owners will have the same advantages/disadvantages

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

There are many here that play 23 man roster 12 team - single league NL or AL - those are considered deep leagues

but play whatever type you want to play - all of the other owners will have the same advantages/disadvantages
          Exactly. On all counts.

Comment

To answer your question, yes, your league is shallow. That doesn't necessarily mean it's easy, but it's certainly not deep by any measure. For an 8-team AL/NL only league, you'd have to draft 336 players and have rosters of at least 42 to even approach "deep." For a mixed league, you'd need twice that, rosters of 84, 672 players drafted. Silliness.

10-12 team AL/NL only is deep.
            20-24 team mixed is deep.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

I suspect he's asking more from the standpoint of seeing articles on fantasy sites that say "Deep League Sleepers" that recommend someone like a Tyler Goeddel or Travis Shaw and wondering if he should be grabbing them.

So you're playing the standard Roto 23-man active roster and 5 reserves, right? Really shallow leagues are like the Yahoo/ESPN defaults - Yahoo uses 12 teams, one catcher, no MI/CI, three OF, two UT, and eight pitchers. So you're deeper than that, but not by a ton. I think yours still qualifies as shallow. As Swamp said, that's not inherently bad or anything though.

I would generally define "deep" as "hitters without a starting job will need to be drafted". In a 12-mixed with the normal 23 actives, you don't need to do that. Around 18-team mixed or 10-team only is where it starts getting deep.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Having played in 10-12 team leagues I was just wondering how the slight increase in roster size affected this league. I figured it was still "shallow". I know there is no right way, I was just wondering.

Comment

Working...
                X