new trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Who is the only pitcher with an immaculate IP in the World Series. That's 9 pitches, three Ks, end of inning.

Hint--LHP since division play.

J
    Wow I looked this one up. I never would have guessed this guy.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Not Wells. This pitcher had a monster 23 win, sub 3.00 ERA season. He threw 260 IP and was never the same again.

J
      Denny Neagle? Not much of a strikeout guy but I'm having a hard time coming up with a lefty who had a monster season then flamed out quickly.

Edit: Looked it up and of course I was wrong. The "never the same again" part is a bit misleading since this guy had an all-star season 6 years after his monster season so it's not someone with a short career.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        I can do silly ...

in that situation, if there's a rundown and the runner runs out of the basepath to the point where the umpire calls him out (there's no tag applied), I don't think it would be scored a force out ... but am not sure on this point.
        A rundown? There's a force at home...
        I guess if you have bad players in the field and a bad scorer anything is possible, the scorer could write down strikeout even with the ball in play. But I thought we were talking about real scenarios!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          A rundown? There's a force at home...
          I guess if you have bad players in the field and a bad scorer anything is possible, the scorer could write down strikeout even with the ball in play. But I thought we were talking about real scenarios!
          yeah, real silly scenarios!

It's not so farfetched to imagine a guy running towards home, the throw is up the third base line, the catcher thinks he can tag the runner out rather than run back toward home as they're now running towards each other, then the runner veers far away to avoid the tag.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            yeah, real silly scenarios!

It's not so farfetched to imagine a guy running towards home, the throw is up the third base line, the catcher thinks he can tag the runner out rather than run back toward home as they're now running towards each other, then the runner veers far away to avoid the tag.
            That's a fielder's choice. The only way it is a hit is if the official scorer decides there was no force play available. I can't imagine a situation where there was no way to get a force out, but the runner goes out of the baseline because of a throw. If the throw is causing him to go out of the baseline that means that a good throw would be a force out - hence a fielders choice not a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
              Wow I looked this one up. I never would have guessed this guy.
              Same here.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Since no one got the last one it was Danny Jackson.
                Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                  Since no one got the last one it was Danny Jackson.
                  Correct. 23 wins, 2.73 ERA in 1988 and Orel Hershiser was the unanimous CY. Jackson absolutely dominated game 5 of the 1985 WS, CG, 1 run on five hits. The immaculate IP was the 7th. I give you hint may have been a bit misleading. He had four poor seasons, after 1988, but the 1994 season, 14-6, 3.24 ERA, was in line with his pre-1988 numbers.

Immaculate innings are about twice as common in the NL for obvious reasons. However, three consecutive pitchers from the same team has happened twice, both in the AL:

10. Danny Jackson (1) Royals 10-24-1985 Terry Pendleton, Tom Nieto, Brian Harper 7th
                  11. Jeff Montgomery (1) Royals 04-29-1990 Pete Incaviglia, Geno Petralli, Thad Bosley 8th
                  12. Stan Belinda (1) Royals 08-06-1994 Eric Anthony, Chris Howard, Luis Sojo 9th

15. Jimmy Key (1) Orioles 04-14-1998 Robin Ventura, Magglio Ordonez, Ray Durham 2nd
                  16. Mike Mussina (1) Orioles 05-09-1998 Fred McGriff, Paul Sorrento, Rich Butler 9th
                  17. B.J. Ryan (1) Orioles 09-05-1999 Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Richie Sexson 6th

Koufax is the only one to do it three times. Nolan Ryan is the onlt ?RHP to do it twice and also the only pitcher to do it in both leagues.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                    This is a pretty wild guess but Roberto Clemente and Steve Carlton (or maybe Tom Seaver?).
                    Eckersley and Winfield

I was a little surprised it did only happen once

Comment

Working...
                    X