new trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new trivia

I liked the last one just posted by Sour Masher, so I thought I would throw out one of my favorite ones and see if anyone gets it.

What is the max number of hits that a team can get in a single inning without scoring a run?

Five?

Comment

I suspect there has to be a trick to this, but I can't think of a way for it to be more than 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I suspect there has to be a trick to this, but I can't think of a way for it to be more than 5.
        I agree.

Maybe the trick is with the last guy getting a hit but not scoring.

So 1st batter hits a ball into the gap, thrown out at 2nd. 1 hit. 1 out.
        2nd batter hits a ball into the gap, thrown out at 2nd. 2 hits. 2 outs.
        3rd batter singles. 3 hits 2 outs
        4th batter singles. 4 hits 2 outs.
        5th batter singles. 5 hits 2 outs.
        6th batter gets an infield hit and is tagged out rounding 1st towards 2nd before the runner from 3rd scores?? 6 hits 3 outs?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Six:

1 - single
          2 - single, men on 1st and 2nd
          3 - single, bases loaded
          4 - single, thrown out at the plate - 1 out
          5 - single, thrown out at the plate - 2 outs
          6 - single, guy headed home runs out of the basepath - 3 outs

I suspect there must be some way to get to 7, though.
          I guess it's possible but in your scenario is the guy who is headed home just randomly running out of the basepath on his own for no reason? If the defense throws home to try to get him out its a fielder's choice, not a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I guess it's possible but in your scenario is the guy who is headed home just randomly running out of the basepath on his own for no reason? If the defense throws home to try to get him out its a fielder's choice, not a hit.
            yes but the throw was up the line & the catcher ran at the runner to try to tag him out.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I agree.

Maybe the trick is with the last guy getting a hit but not scoring.

So 1st batter hits a ball into the gap, thrown out at 2nd. 1 hit. 1 out.
              2nd batter hits a ball into the gap, thrown out at 2nd. 2 hits. 2 outs.
              3rd batter singles. 3 hits 2 outs
              4th batter singles. 4 hits 2 outs.
              5th batter singles. 5 hits 2 outs.
              6th batter gets an infield hit and is tagged out rounding 1st towards 2nd before the runner from 3rd scores?? 6 hits 3 outs?

6 hits is correct, so all 6 hit scenarios should be correct. The way I remember this answer is:

1st and 2nd hits are thrown out trying to take the extra base.
              3/4/5 hits are singles. Bases loaded
              6th batter gets a hit but batted ball hits base runner. Scored as a hit and 3rd out.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                yes but the throw was up the line & the catcher ran at the runner to try to tag him out.
                Still a fielder's choice I think, I don't think that would go down as a hit.

Comment

Who is the only pitcher with an immaculate IP in the World Series. That's 9 pitches, three Ks, end of inning.

Hint--LHP since division play.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

David Wells would be my guess

Only once has a HOF pitcher given up the 3000 to a HOF hitter. Who where they?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      Fielder's choice vs. hit is determined by the official scorer based on his interpretation of the rules with regards to the specific play at hand. TranaGreg's scenario could theoretically be either a hit or a fielder's choice, depending on other factors he so thoughtlessly omitted.
                      I know we are just being silly with this one but I'll play it out...

He said the following "the throw was up the line & the catcher ran at the runner to try to tag him out"

Given that there was a throw to the plate, and it's a force play at home, with an errant throw that's a fielder's choice. The only way it can be a hit would be if the scorer believed there was no possibility of getting the force play out on any base. I cannot imagine this type scenario where it's impossible to get the force play out, but the runner still manages to get himself out by running outside the base paths.

Fun to think about these scenarios although I know it's all speculation.

Comment

I can do silly ...

in that situation, if there's a rundown and the runner runs out of the basepath to the point where the umpire calls him out (there's no tag applied), I don't think it would be scored a force out ... but am not sure on this point.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by price View Post
                          David Wells would be my guess.
                          Not Wells. This pitcher had a monster 23 win, sub 3.00 ERA season. He threw 260 IP and was never the same again.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            Who is the only pitcher with an immaculate IP in the World Series. That's 9 pitches, three Ks, end of inning.

Hint--LHP since division play.

J
                            Using the info from the second hint, not quoted above, I'll guess Dontrelle Willis (not sure that he pitched in a WS but he might have in 2003).

Comment

Originally posted by price View Post
                              David Wells would be my guess

Only once has a HOF pitcher given up the 3000 to a HOF hitter. Who where they?
                              This is a pretty wild guess but Roberto Clemente and Steve Carlton (or maybe Tom Seaver?).

Comment

Working...
                              X