2k16: Yankees bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k16: Yankees bullpen

Assuming Aroldis is named closer and not suspended too long, how on earth do you value Miller and Betances?

And even if Chapman is named closer, do you trust Girardi to stick with it? (He did stick with Miller all year last year, except when he got hurt, so maybe you do trust him?)

Miller and Betances are probably too good to buy as handcuffs. In an AL only league, I can see Chapman going $25 and Miller/Betances $10-$12 each. No one owner can realistically get all 3 of them, just because you'd be spending $45-$50 to nail down maybe 50 saves.

How fantasy owners handle the Yankee bullpen will be fascinating - can you even justify paying $35 or more for Chapman/Miller OR Chapman/Betances?

And if not... does that mean that these guys might come at a discount? Does the presence of Kimbrel and Giles and Wade Davis as elite alternatives to Chapman drive down his price?

Contract expires after...

chapman 16
    miller 18
    betances 20?

On miller, I'll go high teen's in any a.l. league I am in because after 2016, he'll return to closing and miller already showed he is elite. I doubt you get him for just $12 in a.l. only but that is just my guess...

Comment

In my 12-team AL 5x5, only a couple closers go for $20+.

I can see Chapman going for around $15-17 but his status is going to limit his price. We have 1-year keepers. I think Miller goes for $10-12 and Betances for $8-10.

Good point about Miller closing in 2017. I may grab him as a value play for 2017 if the price is right.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

You would think if Miller was traded he would close, but where would he go? He probably wouldn't close as a Dodger

Comment

I don't see any reason for the Yanks to name Chapman closer. Right now they've got 3 guys who've done the job successfully in the bigs, and the only thing naming Chapman closer would do is inflate his free agent price. Now, if they think that they can re-sign him before his window opens, that's a different story entirely...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I don't see any reason for the Yanks to name Chapman closer. Right now they've got 3 guys who've done the job successfully in the bigs, and the only thing naming Chapman closer would do is inflate his free agent price. Now, if they think that they can re-sign him before his window opens, that's a different story entirely...
            It's a fair point. Of course, Betances has arbitration so they don't want to drive up his value either. So maybe Miller just keeps closing. Can Chapman's ego handle that? He's going to want to be closing if he's heading into free agency. It seemed like the Dodgers were going to let him close, though we never found out for sure.

Comment

I saw an article claiming the Yankees did not improve the bullpen, just made it more expensive.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                I saw an article claiming the Yankees did not improve the bullpen, just made it more expensive.

J
                Who did they lose? How can you add one of the top 3 relievers in the game and not improve your bullpen?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Who did they lose? How can you add one of the top 3 relievers in the game and not improve your bullpen?
                  Can you allow fewer than zero runs?

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                    Can you allow fewer than zero runs?
                    I'm too lazy to look it up, but what was their bullpen era? I know M and B were amazing, but was everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                      I don't know if it's the same article since you didn't link to it but I saw one where they mentioned their win-loss records when leading after 7 and after 8 where they only lost 3 games or something like that. The argument was that you can't really improve on that. But if anyone doesn't think this bullpen is better needs their head examined or they are just trying to get clicks on their website.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

One of the MLB Radio jackasses (Casey Stern?) was arguing that Justin Wilson was so good last year that adding Chapman makes little material impact but rather just replaces Wilson. Because, you know, there's no volatility in middle relievers and Justin Wilson was guaranteed to be the same stud or better in 2016...
                        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Wilson was really good, and trading him for peanuts was really stupid. Almost as stupid as arguing that Chapman doesn't upgrade their 3rd reliever spot.

Frankly, with Warren traded, I'm a lot more worried about spots 4-8.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            Wilson was really good, and trading him for peanuts was really stupid. Almost as stupid as arguing that Chapman doesn't upgrade their 3rd reliever spot.

Frankly, with Warren traded, I'm a lot more worried about spots 4-8.
                            I think they have plenty of options for the 4-7 spots (I don't think they'll carry 13 pitchers). Mitchell, Shreve, Rumbelow, Nova, Pinder and even Pazos. That's six relievers for 4 spots. Sure Nova could end up in the rotation if/when there is an injury to the rotation but his fastball in one inning stints could play really well. What I really want to see if Girardi not lean on the top end of the rotation. Just because you have that three headed monster there really isn't any need to use all three in a game on a consistent basis. But I fear he's going to get lazy and uncreative and use Betances in the 7th, Miller/Chapman in the 8th and the other in the 9th. If you don't use all three then you can use at least one of them in every game during the course of the season.

Ask anyone if they'd rather fact Chapman or Wilson and 100% will say Wilson without even thinking. There is a huge difference between the two and to suggest otherwise is just embarrassing to say the least.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Wilson was really good, and trading him for peanuts was really stupid
                              "On December 9, 2015, the Yankees traded Wilson to the Detroit Tigers in exchange for Chad Green and Luis Cessa"

What was this trade?
                              Just for additional pieces?

Comment

Working...
                              X