Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
    Fair enough.

I'll admit... I really don't like the super rich. I know I have a... thing.

In my experience, most rich people are assholes and most regular people so dearly want to be like them that they have selective perception. They ask for an autograph and think the guy is a good guy when he gives it, ignoring the fact that they just gave value to the ink from the dude's pen scrawled quickly. They praise a guy who merely isn't a monster and ignore the fact that they hold them to a much lower standard than they do regular folks. Money changes the rich AND the masses that come in contact with them.

This is why I never ask for autographs. Screw that. I'm a teacher. That millionaire player should be asking for MY autograph.
    Truth.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Fair enough.

I'll admit... I really don't like the super rich. I know I have a... thing.

In my experience, most rich people are assholes and most regular people so dearly want to be like them that they have selective perception. They ask for an autograph and think the guy is a good guy when he gives it, ignoring the fact that they just gave value to the ink from the dude's pen scrawled quickly. They praise a guy who merely isn't a monster and ignore the fact that they hold them to a much lower standard than they do regular folks. Money changes the rich AND the masses that come in contact with them.

This is why I never ask for autographs. Screw that. I'm a teacher. That millionaire player should be asking for MY autograph.
      How many super rich people do you know? How many just "rich people" for that matter? This post is filled with nothing but rash generalizations based on what? Autographs? Man, I simply do not get the vitriol in this post...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        How many super rich people do you know? How many just "rich people" for that matter? This post is filled with nothing but rash generalizations based on what? Autographs? Man, I simply do not get the vitriol in this post...
        I know several, almost everyone of em decent and always nice to me.

I can't fathom the world the live in ($1800 for a shot of whiskey?) but again, they don't talk down to me....at least not to my face.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I kind of love where Dane is coming from. Rostering "bad citizens"? As if we know anything other than the 1% that is leaked out of the bubble these guys live in? Chapman is the best closer in our little roto game, if you can get him in your 12 team only keeper, he is worth the $30, if someone wants to drop out at $5 because they feel it may taint their imaginary clubhouse, or that they are rewarding him with their imaginary bid dollars, that is on them.

And my wife would so deserve that kind of treatment from that video, she is the teacher that actually gives a damn, a science teacher who runs the CAP, rocketry, robotics teams, and heads anything STEM related, and is so popular with the kids that her classroom has kids hanging out before and after regular school hours getting their science and computer fill. A bench pro bb player is worth a mill a year? Please, my wife is worth 100 times more with vastly more impact in real world prep. But that is not the way economics in real world work.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I told you. I have a... thing.

I know it's irrational. I admit. I've known a good deal of rich people, many were friends in my youth, and ALL demonstrated poor behavior beyond what you'd expect from people you'd call a friend, and ALL get away it on a regular basis because the people around them are so busy fawning over them to ever hold them accountable.

For example, I was -for about 10 years- brother-in-law to a top-rung pop star. She was a monstrous bitch, but everyone thinks she's great because she keeps her dirty business out of the press (although there was something new recently) and she markets herself very well. Her brother (my sister's ex-husband, my niece and nephew's father) just got out of prison for the kind of crimes that most people on this board would kill him for. She not only supported him (something I don't hold against her) but also brought out her squad of high-priced lawyers to get the kids taken from my sister while their father was in prison, so he could have them upon his release, which is really the most horrific thing once you understand what he's in prison for. It wasn't until we (mostly me because I write the letters) sent a nasty letter to her publicist claiming that we would release all the news of her involvement (which hadn't leaked because he has a different last name from her) to some rag just as she was enjoying her fancy new marriage to another mega-rich asshole. She withdrew her legal fight for the kids and disappeared from our lives. Good riddance. Millions of people all over the world love and idolize her and I know she's pretty much the lowest kind of human that any one of us could meet. Strip away her fame and money and she's exposed for what she is. It's what she was when she was a little rich, it's what she was when she became a household name, it's what she was when she was terrorizing my sister, it's what she's been since, and it's what she is now.

I've known a good deal of rich people and I count most of them among the worst people I've ever met.

(Except Paul Frank. Paul Frank (Sunich, when he was a kid) was always super cool, even though he has an entourage of groupies, which is weird. As far as I can tell, it's the only way money has fundamentally changed him since our youth together. He's the lone exception.)

Comment

I've never really given that kind of consideration. They don't care about what I do in my personal life, why should I care about what they do?

But I had a friend (the late DavidRMark, for those of you who played in the earliest years of 12TO) who refused to roster Robbie Alomar after the spitting incident.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I told you. I have a... thing.

I know it's irrational. I admit. I've known a good deal of rich people, many were friends in my youth, and ALL demonstrated poor behavior beyond what you'd expect from people you'd call a friend, and ALL get away it on a regular basis because the people around them are so busy fawning over them to ever hold them accountable.

For example, I was -for about 10 years- brother-in-law to a top-rung pop star. She was a monstrous bitch, but everyone thinks she's great because she keeps her dirty business out of the press (although there was something new recently) and she markets herself very well. Her brother (my sister's ex-husband, my niece and nephew's father) just got out of prison for the kind of crimes that most people on this board would kill him for. She not only supported him (something I don't hold against her) but also brought out her squad of high-priced lawyers to get the kids taken from my sister while their father was in prison, so he could have them upon his release, which is really the most horrific thing once you understand what he's in prison for. It wasn't until we (mostly me because I write the letters) sent a nasty letter to her publicist claiming that we would release all the news of her involvement (which hadn't leaked because he has a different last name from her) to some rag just as she was enjoying her fancy new marriage to another mega-rich asshole. She withdrew her legal fight for the kids and disappeared from our lives. Good riddance. Millions of people all over the world love and idolize her and I know she's pretty much the lowest kind of human that any one of us could meet. Strip away her fame and money and she's exposed for what she is. It's what she was when she was a little rich, it's what she was when she became a household name, it's what she was when she was terrorizing my sister, it's what she's been since, and it's what she is now.

I've known a good deal of rich people and I count most of them among the worst people I've ever met.

(Except Paul Frank. Paul Frank (Sunich, when he was a kid) was always super cool, even though he has an entourage of groupies, which is weird. As far as I can tell, it's the only way money has fundamentally changed him since our youth together. He's the lone exception.)
                But you still buy her music, because hell, it's got a good beat and it's fun to dance to.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  But you still buy her music, because hell, it's got a good beat and it's fun to dance to.
                  Haha.

Actually, I did have a box of signed CDs of her first album. Gave a few away as gifts and hung onto the rest. When things went really sour with our family, I smashed them to bits with a motorcycle helmet.

Comment

Haha.

Actually, I did have a box of signed CDs of her first album. Gave a few away as gifts and hung onto the rest. When things went really sour with our family, I smashed them to bits with a motorcycle helmet.
                    I like it.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Our family motto is "Some People are Assholes"....in my experience, most rich people act entitled, and entitled people are assholes. Of course there are always exceptions, but that's what they are, exceptions.
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        Our family motto is "Some People are Assholes"....in my experience, most rich people act entitled, and entitled people are assholes. Of course there are always exceptions, but that's what they are, exceptions.

So you really think "most" rich people are assholes? I know plenty of rich people and haven't noticed them constituting a higher % of assholes than those who aren't rich.

Comment

Working...
                        X