Chapman to the Yanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"That trio of arms in bullpen is historically great imo."

but to what end? I'd sure rather have one great SP (which the Yankees don't have) vs three great RP.
    how many extra games do you win with Chapman in the mix compared to just those two (assuming Chapman doesn't get suspended)?

the Yankees get better in the deal, but I don't see it as some epic upgrade for a team that already had the late innings locked down. the Dodgers would have benefited far more, and a team with a shaky closer could benefit a ton from Chapman....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

To that end, I wonder how valuable this deal is for the Yankees in that it simply keeps a competitor that would gain much more marginal benefit from getting him.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        That was my thought.

J
        I would think they would want to keep the lefty and trade Betances.

Comment

According to Cashman they plan to keep all three and the closer role is yet to be determined.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
            Just ridiculous. Last team that needed him with Miller and Betances. 3 of 5 best bullpen arms in all of baseball on 1 team.
            They saw what the Royals did and took note.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
              That the Reds got what they did for Frazier and Chapman should get that entire front office bounced.
              Unless ownership wanted him gone now. Remember when the Reds stated Chapman would be gone by "the weekend." Then it went to be gone by the end of the winter meetings.

I do not think this was so much about getting back as getting rid of. Who better to take the trash than the Yankees? Given the hot topic of domestic violence most teams would not have taken Chapman for free much less given real value.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                It's not even necessary for the player to have been arrested for MLB to suspend someone.
                From everything I have read this is true. That said, I wonder how much the Players Union will have to say in this particular instance.

Comment

It's not even necessary for the player to have been arrested for MLB to suspend someone.
                  If acting under the "best interest of baseball power", I guess that's true, but the article you posted clearly states that "charges must be pending". There don't seem to be any charges pending in this incident. The events occurred some time ago and the local authorities have closed their files. Unless there is some other agreement, authority, or policy, in place there will be no suspension.

Comment

I think you guys are overlooking this most important question here: If and when RHP Rookie Davis reaches 50 IP, will he be required to change his name?

Comment

The League has discretion to independently investigate allegations of domestic violence wholly outside the realm of law enforcement. The Commissioner may place a player under investigation on administrative leave for 7 days with pay while the investigation happens. The Commissioner then has the power to discipline that player in any manner he deems appropriate following the investigation. The player may challenge the Commissioner's ruling before a panel of arbitrators.

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/63...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
                      Looks like the Players union is on board.

Comment

The League has discretion to independently investigate allegations of domestic violence wholly outside the realm of law enforcement. The Commissioner may place a player under investigation on administrative leave for 7 days with pay while the investigation happens. The Commissioner then has the power to discipline that player in any manner he deems appropriate following the investigation. The player may challenge the Commissioner's ruling before a panel of arbitrators.

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/63...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
                        This is somewhat different from the policy described in the previous article but it still requires that the player be "accused" of domestic violence in order for this authority to come into effect. Does this require that formal charges be filed? It would seem that either the authorities or his girlfriend (I don't think there was a wife involved) would at the least have to make an accusation and that doesn't appear to be the case with Chapman.

Comment

Isn't the resulting value of a QO almost worth more than the package the Reds got here?

And ChrisMal - that was "cute".

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                            And ChrisMal - that was "cute".
                            Thank for acknowledging what everyone was thinking. I am pretty adorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Unless ownership wanted him gone now. Remember when the Reds stated Chapman would be gone by "the weekend." Then it went to be gone by the end of the winter meetings.

I do not think this was so much about getting back as getting rid of. Who better to take the trash than the Yankees? Given the hot topic of domestic violence most teams would not have taken Chapman for free much less given real value.
                              Chapman should have been dealt before the trade deadline and the Frazier return was very underwhelming. That they couldn't have drummed up more interest or found a better deal is hard to believe. He also should have been moved in July and for what they got, held onto to start 2016 as he is not a 1 year rental. Move him as soon as he gets hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X