Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapman to the Yanks!

Holy crap.

Yankees acquired LHP Aroldis Chapman from the Reds in exchange for RHPs Caleb Cotham and Rookie Davis, 3B Eric Jagielo and 2B Tony Renda.

Wow. Fantastic deal for the yanks. Best bullpen in baseball. If the have a lead thru 6, they won't lose often. The Reds really wanted to get rid of chapman.

Comment

He is facing a suspension, but that has some upside as well - if it's a long enough suspension (not sure how long is necessary, but I've seen people saying that 50 games would do it) he'll still be under team control for next year.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Just ridiculous. Last team that needed him with Miller and Betances. 3 of 5 best bullpen arms in all of baseball on 1 team.

Comment

Ridiculous indeed. Jagielo has some value but it seems like a salary/risk dump.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            He is facing a suspension, but that has some upside as well - if it's a long enough suspension (not sure how long is necessary, but I've seen people saying that 50 games would do it) he'll still be under team control for next year.

That's correct. There's zero downside to this for the Yankees. They gave up lower tier prospects, didn't hurt their depth, and either get another year of control or nearly a full year of the nastiest bullpen since Dibble/Myers/Charlton

Comment

I think that this'll lead to a trade of Miller...he's got a ton of value and they really don't need 3 premier arms in the bullpen. And I'm not really sure that Chapman will be facing a suspension, there were no charges filed in his incident and no indications of violence other than Chapman pushing her into the wall to get his phone.

Nice deal for the Yanks, and rhe Reds look to be re-stocking their system with mediocrities.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Chapman is almost assuredly facing a suspension, isn't he? Seems like an awfully light trade otherwise.
                Suspension & a walk year. Reds were idiotic not to move him at the deadline or before that. They have no leverage in this thing and Yankees threw enough crap at them (plus are pros at handling bad PR) to get something done.

Comment

Yeah, no violence at all outside of firing off ten gunshots or whatever inside his own house. And shoving a woman isn't something you just shrug off, either.
                  Alright, I'll play devil's advocate...just what do you charge Chapman with to uphold a suspension? Four different people, four different stories. No charges from the police. A person retrieving his own property from someone who had taken it. No injuries, not even a mark. Apparently shooting a gun inside your home in FLA isn't a chargeable offense, who knew?

So if you're MLB, what can you use as a suspendable offense?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    I think that this'll lead to a trade of Miller...he's got a ton of value and they really don't need 3 premier arms in the bullpen. And I'm not really sure that Chapman will be facing a suspension, there were no charges filed in his incident and no indications of violence other than Chapman pushing her into the wall to get his phone.

Nice deal for the Yanks, and rhe Reds look to be re-stocking their system with mediocrities.
                    That was my thought.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

That the Reds got what they did for Frazier and Chapman should get that entire front office bounced.

Comment

You don't need to charge the player, and pretty sure MLB can't charge anyone with anything anyways, in order for there to be a suspension. In fact, MLB can suspend players for infractions that fall well below the threshold of criminal activity, particularly when they revolve around domestic violence. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13...iolence-policy

I have no idea whether MLB will actually suspend him but I'm guessing that they will.
                        I'm guessing that the Yankees know something that we don't, and he doesn't get suspended. Either that or he get's a suspension and loses days so that NY ends up getting another year. But my bet is no suspension.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I cant get over what a score for the Yankees, and what a nothing return for the Reds. That trio of arms in bullpen is historically great imo.

Comment

Hard to believe that's all the Reds got. I guess the other teams all said 'let's wait to see what happens' and the Yankees pounced (and Reds panicked). Smart move, almost a win-win..if he doesn't get suspended, they got one of (if not) the best relievers in baseball for a bargain price,if he gets suspended they may get him another year.....either way they can likely get a pick by giving him a QO!
                            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

MLB can suspend players for infractions that fall well below the threshold of criminal activity, particularly when they revolve around domestic violence. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13...iolence-policy

I have no idea whether MLB will actually suspend him but I'm guessing that they will.
                              No charges seem to be pending in this case so as I read this MLB has no power to suspend.

Comment

Working...
                              X