Chapman to the Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I'd guess so, although Chapman is probably more well-regarded than Miller.

No, only that they weren't any of the "elite" prospects --- Urias, Seager, DeLeon.

I kind of have no idea what it would take to get Miller. Maybe Grant Holmes, Alex Verdugo, and one of the Cubans? What do Yanks fans think it would take?
    Chapman is better but Miller shouldn't be far behind. I don't know why they are looking to trade Miller and I think it will only happen if they really like the return. I was thinking something like Alex Wood, JP Howell and De Leon.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Chapman is better but Miller shouldn't be far behind. I don't know why they are looking to trade Miller and I think it will only happen if they really like the return. I was thinking something like Alex Wood, JP Howell and De Leon.
      Man, that's WAY out of line IMO. Wood still has the stuff to be a very good starter, perhaps even a #2. De Leon is a stud pitching prospect, and Howell is still a very efficient reliever, when healthy. Miller is great, but he's still somewhat injury prone. People are star struck at what Arizona gave up...that's the exception, not the norm.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I was thinking something like Alex Wood, JP Howell and De Leon.
        That would be as bad as the Shelby Miller trade

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Man, that's WAY out of line IMO. Wood still has the stuff to be a very good starter, perhaps even a #2. De Leon is a stud pitching prospect, and Howell is still a very efficient reliever, when healthy. Miller is great, but he's still somewhat injury prone. People are star struck at what Arizona gave up...that's the exception, not the norm.
          I don't know about WAY out of line. Sure it's probably more but you have to consider that this isn't a situation where the Yankees need to trade Miller. Wood right now is probably the 5th starter for the Dodgers, he's not exactly a huge piece of their puzzle. Remember the Dodgers are the ones in pursuit of Miller, not the other way around. But ultimately, you are probably right that it's too much.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Well, sounds like the Dodgers aren't pursuing Miller after all, so this is all just academic.
            Yeah, I heard that. Still felt like I wanted to explain my hypothetical offer.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I'd like to think, personally, that the Dodgers would never trade DeLeon for any reliever no matter who it was. Seems to me that Peraza and Grant Holmes are the most available elite prospects the Dodgers are putting out there. Considering Peraza is a top 20-ish prospect and Holmes is top 75-ish, that's still pretty solid bait to be dangling.
              My understanding is that the Yankees aren't looking for prospects as they are still trying to be competitive right now. So De Leon wouldn't really be on their radar anyway. My guess is someone like Shelby Miller would have been attractive to them.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I don't know about WAY out of line. Sure it's probably more but you have to consider that this isn't a situation where the Yankees need to trade Miller. Wood right now is probably the 5th starter for the Dodgers, he's not exactly a huge piece of their puzzle. Remember the Dodgers are the ones in pursuit of Miller, not the other way around. But ultimately, you are probably right that it's too much.
                WAAAAAYYY out of line, LOL.

Wood is 25 YO and is controllable for another 3+ years. He had an OUTSTANDING 2014 season where he K'd a batter an inning and had an ERA well under 3. He slipped last year, but he can just as easily bounce back to being the stud lefty that he was two years ago. Frankly, I wouldn't trade him straight up for Miller, let alone add two other pieces. He's probably more like a #3 for the Dodgers given their unsettled rotation with injuries. Who know what's up with Ryu, McCarthy, and even Anderson...Iwakuma will slot in there, probably at #2, and then you'll be able to go lefty, righty, lefty, ???

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I heard it discussed that if MLB suspends Chapman it could delay his FA clock for a year. Dont know how long the suspension would have to be but from the discussion it sounds like 20 games might do it. This then could actually increase his trade value since he would be under team control for an extra year. This might also cause the Reds to delay trading him. I cant imagine any trade taking place until MLB decides what it's going to do and if Chapman's FA status is indeed affected he'll probably appeal. I dont think Aroldis is going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

guh

have Chapman for 40 in NL-only 5x5 (added in midseason dump deal) as well as Hoover 10. was more than willing to see Chapman go to AL (not keeping him anyway) to make room for Hoover as closer.

is Hoover as good as his 2015 numbers? not at all. is it hard to be a closer? no. and as we know, even if a closer spits the bit after 15 SV or so, that can put us into a sweet spot as long as we are getting SV elsewhere, too.

so get out of the way, Aroldis!
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I wonder if Jumbo Diaz would get a shot to win closer in spring training over Hoover?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        WAAAAAYYY out of line, LOL.

Wood is 25 YO and is controllable for another 3+ years. He had an OUTSTANDING 2014 season where he K'd a batter an inning and had an ERA well under 3. He slipped last year, but he can just as easily bounce back to being the stud lefty that he was two years ago. Frankly, I wouldn't trade him straight up for Miller, let alone add two other pieces. He's probably more like a #3 for the Dodgers given their unsettled rotation with injuries. Who know what's up with Ryu, McCarthy, and even Anderson...Iwakuma will slot in there, probably at #2, and then you'll be able to go lefty, righty, lefty, ???
                        You realize Wood has lost 3 mph off his fastball since he came up in '13 -- and he's just 24. His fastball sits at just 89 mph now. Almost every metric associated with his fastball has plunged, and batters are teeing off on it, and yet it's still the pitch he throws most often. This is likely the reason why the Braves made Wood available in the first place.

I'd deal Wood for Miller in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          You realize Wood has lost 3 mph off his fastball since he came up in '13 -- and he's just 24. His fastball sits at just 89 mph now. Almost every metric associated with his fastball has plunged, and batters are teeing off on it, and yet it's still the pitch he throws most often. This is likely the reason why the Braves made Wood available in the first place.

I'd deal Wood for Miller in a heartbeat.
                          There are all sorts of reasons that there could be a drop in velocity, injury is just one of them. He's got really weird mechanics, so that could also be an issue, or a number of other things. I'm pretty sure that the Dodgers did their due diligence on him before the deal, so they must feel that they can straighten him out. And it's not like Miller has a glowing track record of health...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Wood's fastball was just about the exact same in 2014, when he put up a really elite season, as in 2015. Yet it's "likely the reason why the Braves made (him) available in the first place"? That doesn't make any sense. Moreover, a real fan () would know that Wood starting throwing a two seamer that was pretty ineffective, accounting for nearly all the lost value in his fastball from '14 to '15. Moreover, Wood pitched in relief in 2013, so of course his fastball was faster.
                            There's his slow fastball; there's his new pitch that batters swing and miss at just 5.5% of the time; there's his overall K% that plunged from nearly 25% to just 17%; and there's his delivery that many feel make him a ticking time bomb. A real fan would know these things.

Comment

Working...
                            X