X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tulo Career Home vs Road Splits:

Home: 1968 AB, 106 HR, .321/.394/.558
    Road: 1920 AB, 82 HR, .276/.349/.468

Not bad at all on the road, for you AL-only bidders.

Comment

But what about the replacement value? Even accounting for the extra returns since the Jays have a good lineup, is the difference between Tulo and Reyes greater than the difference between the Jays 5th SP and an ace SP?

Comment

Minor note re: Tulo's legs on the turf...he can DH every now and again. Move to AL might actually help extend his career and keep him healthy into post-season.
        12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
        1B-Cron
        2B- Villar
        SS- Andrus
        3B-Baez
        MI-L. Gurriel
        CI- Y.Gurriel
        OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
        UTIL- Benintendi
        BENCH: Pence, Dyson
        SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
        RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
        IL: Buxton

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
          Amazed by this trade. Completely upends the dynamic for both leagues in "only" play. Would be very concerned long-term about Tulo's health playing on turf in Toronto.
          He'll be the DH in 2-3 years.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Blue Jays 2015 Pitching:
            W-L, ERA/WHIP, HR
            April/March 11-12 , 4.78/1.445, 29 HR
            May 12-17, 4.43/1.238, 32 HR
            June 18-9, 3.17/1.184, 24 HR
            July* (thru 7/27) 9-12, 4.01//1.304, 20 HR

*This July, they've been 9-12, but 16 of those 21 games have been on the road. 16 of their next 19 will be at home.

Buerhle, Dickey and Estrada have given them terrific pitching in June & July. If Hawkins lets Sanchez get back in the rotation, they arguably don't need a star pitcher, or even a 2.
            Next three weeks should be fun in Toronto, we'll see if this team can cash in on Tulo and the home crowds.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Love seeing The Ninja back to Ninja-ing! Reyes was starting to look like a replacement level player when factoring in his brutal defense, so if you're going to pay your star SS $20+ Mil, the upgrade from Reyes to Tulo was needed to avoid a big rebuild when Bautista and Edwin are gone, or no longer stud producers (already starting to happen). Worth the potential ace of Hoffman, and then some, for sure.

I think they'll get 1 more SP as well. Probably Shark. They've got the trade chips left. Kazmir should be valued similarly, as a rental, and he fetched a pretty underwhelming package. The Jays have 7-8 guys that are equal to the ones who landed Kazmir, and I think they're willing to pay it.

Also, I think the package of 3 lefty SP's that KC gave up to get Cueto is pretty close in value to what the Jays are giving for Tulo... except that KC gets a rental, Toronto gets out from a burdensome contract without paying ANY of it, (again!) while adding a star or near-star level player. Seems like pretty brilliant out-of-the-box thinking, yet again... even if the initial Marlins/Mets trades didn't work out, you need to keep pushing all your chips in, just like this move does.

Closer to the Vernon Wells to LAA trade than it appears at first blush, just bigger prospects added to account for Tulo coming back.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                Love seeing The Ninja back to Ninja-ing! Reyes was starting to look like a replacement level player when factoring in his brutal defense, so if you're going to pay your star SS $20+ Mil, the upgrade from Reyes to Tulo was needed to avoid a big rebuild when Bautista and Edwin are gone, or no longer stud producers (already starting to happen). Worth the potential ace of Hoffman, and then some, for sure.

I think they'll get 1 more SP as well. Probably Shark. They've got the trade chips left. Kazmir should be valued similarly, as a rental, and he fetched a pretty underwhelming package. The Jays have 7-8 guys that are equal to the ones who landed Kazmir, and I think they're willing to pay it.

Also, I think the package of 3 lefty SP's that KC gave up to get Cueto is pretty close in value to what the Jays are giving for Tulo... except that KC gets a rental, Toronto gets out from a burdensome contract without paying ANY of it, (again!) while adding a star or near-star level player. Seems like pretty brilliant out-of-the-box thinking, yet again... even if the initial Marlins/Mets trades didn't work out, you need to keep pushing all your chips in, just like this move does.

Closer to the Vernon Wells to LAA trade than it appears at first blush, just bigger prospects added to account for Tulo coming back.
                I think that you Blue Jay fans are thinking of the Tulo of 2009-2011, and that guy just doesn't exist anymore. He's likely to be a /300/20+/85+ guy at this point in his career, and that's with full health. Certainly not a given considering his history, and Toronto's turf.

And the Jays are giving up MUCH more than KC did for Cueto...a several time All-Star that can fetch a nice haul on his own, a potential top of the rotation guy in Hoffman, and another in Miguel Castro, or a potential lights out closer if the Rockies prefer. It's a GREAT haul for Colorado.

Nice deal for both teams, but Colorado certainly didn't get fleeced here, and Toronto didn't just get the keys to the kingdom...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

notes from this afternoon ...

AA had a presser this aft, after which Tulo phoned AA directly to "apologize" for not sounding excited when they chatted last night ... apparently AA called him after the deal was announced but he hadn't left the manager's room in Wrigley after being told by Weiss. They talked for a "long time" about baseball stuff.

AA talked about how the Jays walked through the details of Tulo's hip with a "fine tooth comb" - the word used by the team doctors was "pristine"

Jose Bautista said all the right things this aft, but clearly wasn't thrilled. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

The core of this team is definitely shifting - last year's core of Bautista, Melky, EE, Reyes, is turning into Donaldson, Martin, & now Tulo. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Bautista's name is now being tossed around.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    I think that you Blue Jay fans are thinking of the Tulo of 2009-2011, and that guy just doesn't exist anymore. He's likely to be a /300/20+/85+ guy at this point in his career, and that's with full health. Certainly not a given considering his history, and Toronto's turf.

And the Jays are giving up MUCH more than KC did for Cueto...a several time All-Star that can fetch a nice haul on his own, a potential top of the rotation guy in Hoffman, and another in Miguel Castro, or a potential lights out closer if the Rockies prefer. It's a GREAT haul for Colorado.

Nice deal for both teams, but Colorado certainly didn't get fleeced here, and Toronto didn't just get the keys to the kingdom...
                    Tulo can produce the 3-4 win seasons that Reyes was supposed to. The problem is, Reyes now looks like a replacement level player. His defense has turned into some of the worst that I've witnessed in my 20 years as a fan, and the metrics seem to back up the eye test. Maybe Colorado rejuvenates the bat, but he was stagnating into less a star hitter and more of a good one. But his BA skills are eroding, his power is also eroding, and his BB's aren't high enough to keep him at the top of the order. Name value might keep him leading off for somebody, but he's looking like a highly flawed player at this point, and wasn't viewed as a positive trade asset given his salary.

No clue about Tulowitzki. I'm pretty much an AL Only guy, but I've heard Tulo is pretty good. Numbers and metrics indicate that if he's healthy, he's a huge upgrade over Reyes in the next couple of years. That's worth the prospect haul, in my mind. People said the same thing about upgrading from Dioner Navarro to Russell Martin in the offseason, that it wasn't such a big upgrade, and they should focus on adding pitching. Same thing about Donaldson, "offense was fine, they needed pitching", and that's all proven to be true so far, their pitching hasn't been good. But their possible ace has been out the entire season (Stroman), so I think they're still set up as a powerhouse for next season. Tulo, Martin, Donaldson all in the fold for the next 3 years in their early 30's. Bautista and Edwin look past their peaks, but still productive, with options on both. Seems pretty well set up for them, even if they don't make any more moves. Could even pick up options and trade one or both to re-load, or land a much needed SP in the winter.
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how Tulo's offense plays out of Coors, but there's no doubt he's a very significant defensive upgrade at SS over Reyes.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

I am not sure they gave up MUCH more than KC. As a former big fan of Hoffman's when he was in college, he doesn't look like the same pitcher now. Maybe it will just take him awhile to come back from TJ surgery, but he right now he is a long shot to be a 2 or 3. He is still a nice guy to gamble on, and I agree the Rockies got a decent haul for Tulo IF, as you indicate, they end up being able to flip Reyes for someone good. But I'd be surprised if they end up managing to get anything good for Reyes, unless they end up eating a portion of his salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          I am not sure they gave up MUCH more than KC. As a former big fan of Hoffman's when he was in college, he doesn't look like the same pitcher now. Maybe it will just take him awhile to come back from TJ surgery, but he right now he is a long shot to be a 2 or 3. He is still a nice guy to gamble on, and I agree the Rockies got a decent haul for Tulo IF, as you indicate, they end up being able to flip Reyes for someone good. But I'd be surprised if they end up managing to get anything good for Reyes, unless they end up eating a portion of his salary.
                          Well, Hoffman is in his 1st few months back from TJ, and is hitting in the high 90's. Let's see where he sits at for the start of 2016...he's got the ceiling of a #1 if he's healthy.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                          X