X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Jays acquire Troy Tulowitzki

Tulo traded to #BlueJays

Jose Reyes and minor leaguers to #Rockies

Last edited by Ryno84MVP; 07-27-2015, 11:48 PM.

I don't love it. I liked Reyes hitting leadoff. I think they need that type of player more than Tulo, who they already have several of.

I guess Travis moves to the leadoff spot?

In my AL-only league I love the move, since I own Reyes and keep his stats, need a bat, am 4th in FAAB (99/89/73/72), and Cueto/Tulo have already come over.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I love this deal. The team upgrades a position offensively and defensively. The lineup is a total murderers row.

Reyes was weak defensively. And the exchange of contracts works nicely. I like getting Hawkins to add to the bullpen and the supposed prospects involved sounds very reasonable. Castro being the main one rumored.

We didn't seem to have given up Pompey, Sanchez, or Norris so one could be sent in another deal for pitching. I can't see AA not making another big move after doing this. The Jays are buying.

Comment

Sounds like Hoffman was involved as well which makes this much more palatable for the Rockie fans out there.

Comment

This is a silly move for a team that needs pitching, not defense...they take on 50 million more with Tulo's contract, and give up...YOUNG PITCHING! WTF is AA thinking? Miguel Castro is in the deal, and now it looks like Jeff Hoffman may be in there as well...not good at all, IMO.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Encarnacion and Bautista have 2016 options before hitting free agency. If Toronto doesn't want to pony up for the aging sluggers, this might be another way to ensure having a masher long term.

Comment

Tulo murders LHP, and so does the entire Bluejays lineup (so far this season: .290/.360/.472!!!!).

If the Angels don't acquire a RHP, they will be rooting against the Jays. They start three lefties - CJ Wilson, Hector Santiago, Andrew Heaney.
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

The Jays did experiment with Donaldson as their leadoff hitter for a while. Just say screw it and roll out Donaldson, Bautista, Tulo, E5 as your top 4.

Comment

Amazed by this trade. Completely upends the dynamic for both leagues in "only" play. Would be very concerned long-term about Tulo's health playing on turf in Toronto.

Comment

Having had an hour to digest this, I'm loving it. Looks like we're going Yankee hunting this fall! (the Jays & Yankees still meet 13 times ... I'm already looking at a weekend trip to the big apple in Sept to catch a few). Some random notes:

Yes Reyes defense is faltering but so is his passion for the game. Back in early June the Jays main radio announcer called out Reyes for not hustling - that weekend he stole 5 bases. Since then he's had a few games but he's clearly not been playing inspired ball.

From a Jays point of view this will have to be judged with whatever moves AA makes over the next few days. I gotta think EE is on the block (Smoak has looked very good at 1B lately). Maybe this is what those Carlos Carrasco rumours were about on the weekend.

Latroy is not merely a throw in - this could allow the Jays to move Sanchez back into the rotation - he was looking really comfortable there just before his injury.

The Jays have some farm depth but nothing of note at SS. This gives us some stability there for a few years.

Rogers Centre will be putting in grass in a couple of years. Hopefully Tulo's legs can hold out.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Given Toronto's need for pitching, don't you think that Jeff Hoffman and Miguel Castro could have been used to acquire someone like Jeff Samardzija instead an upgrade at shortstop?

Also, what's really amazing about this deal is that there was no hint of it happening anywhere until it was actually completed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                        Given Toronto's need for pitching, don't you think that Jeff Hoffman and Miguel Castro could have been used to acquire someone like Jeff Samardzija instead an upgrade at shortstop?
                        yes, altho let's see what happens ... maybe they can get him (or another strong SP) with other pieces.

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                        Also, what's really amazing about this deal is that there was no hint of it happening anywhere until it was actually completed.
                        Standard Operating Procedure for AA ... line used a couple of years ago was that if there are rumours out there of AA doing something it's not going to happen - seems he shuts down negotiations once they get public.

One other note: Reyes OBP this year: .323, last year .328 ... For a guy who should be setting the table for the big bats behind him that's nowhere near good enough. By contrast Devon Travis who will probably move into the leadoff spot has an OBP of .360.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I know it's exciting to acquire a guy like Tulo, but as pointed out earlier in this thread, the Jays weren't in desperate need for him; and most importantly, they should have consulted with a fantasy player who would have told AA that Tulo has a 90% chance of getting hurt playing on that field.

Comment

sad trombone - not only do I lose Tulo, a key rival has the FAAB to get Reyes....
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

fwiw, my quick analysis on games missed the past 3 seasons (2013, 2014, & this season):

Tulo: 117
                              Reyes: 119

(presumably due to injury, but really for any reason)

Comment

Working...
                              X