Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("Opening Day" Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi rhd,

What are your thoughts on Trevor Story? He was a hot shot prospect a few years ago then scuffled in hi-A in 2013 before rebounding somewhat last year. Still seems to strike out too much but the power/speed combo is quite intriguing. Any chance he would get the call if Tulo were to get hurt again?

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      Hi rhd,

What are your thoughts on Trevor Story? He was a hot shot prospect a few years ago then scuffled in hi-A in 2013 before rebounding somewhat last year. Still seems to strike out too much but the power/speed combo is quite intriguing. Any chance he would get the call if Tulo were to get hurt again?
      Thanx for the response, overkill.

Story has been trending down despite having a solid year last year, albeit in offensive environments. BA didnt even put him in their team top 10. Kiley McDaniel's report says the consensus is that there may not enough there offensively for more than a utility player. Still not so far off the list (#229).
      Last edited by rhd; 04-18-2015, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Glad to see you haven't given up on Phillip Ervin.

I'm not seeing him ranked by the MLB prospect experts, but I feel that his HR+SB potential gives him a deserved higher fantasy prospect ranking, since, if he does make it, he's got a really high fantasy ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
          Glad to see you haven't given up on Phillip Ervin.

I'm not seeing him ranked by the MLB prospect experts, but I feel that his HR+SB potential gives him a deserved higher fantasy prospect ranking, since, if he does make it, he's got a really high fantasy ceiling.
          Thanx for the response, James.

I'm going against the grain a bit by keeping Ervin on the list. Disappointing year, but I still see him as a potential MLB regular that can provide SBs. If he continues to struggle I'll have to drop him off.

Comment

I know it's way out of date, but what did you have on Tim Beckham back in the day?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              I know it's way out of date, but what did you have on Tim Beckham back in the day?

J
              Thanx for the response, J.

Not out of date. He's still a rookie and is still on the list, but farther down. Plate discipline has always been subpar. CAn steal a few bases and has some pop. He would seem to profile as a utility IFer now. But w the state of the Rays as it is, who knows, he might get a shot at a regular gig.

Comment

I looked at all those lines assumed he had been up and down a lot. Three whole years in A ball. Talk about no bloom on the rose. For someone barely 25, he's been around a few blocks.

He's 36% O-swing this year, so I see the discipline issue, but he does make decent contact.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  Thanx for the response, James.

I'm going against the grain a bit by keeping Ervin on the list. Disappointing year, but I still see him as a potential MLB regular that can provide SBs. If he continues to struggle I'll have to drop him off.
                  Small sample size, I know, but I'm getting excited seeing him with 3 HR, 5 2B, and 4 SB in 47 AB so far...and it is indeed "Phillip" not "Phil", homie. (source: https://twitter.com/Mr_MagicErvin)

Comment

Any thoughts on Dan Vogelbach? He's absolutely mashing in AA but is obviously blocked by Rizzo in Chicago and some say he couldn't really play a passable 1B anyway. If he's only trade bait, would it have to be to an AL team? Would a 2017 institution of the DH to the NL coincide perfectly with his development path?

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      Any thoughts on Dan Vogelbach? He's absolutely mashing in AA but is obviously blocked by Rizzo in Chicago and some say he couldn't really play a passable 1B anyway. If he's only trade bait, would it have to be to an AL team? Would a 2017 institution of the DH to the NL coincide perfectly with his development path?
                      Thanx for the response, overkill.

I'm not optimistic about Vogelbach becoming anything too useful in MLB. Doesnt matter about the NL and the DH. So far, only Billy Butler has been successful in MLB from the get-go as a DH, and Vogelbach is not nearly as good a prospect as Butler. BA's report on him sums it up: "...remains a poor defender at first base. His lack of athleticism means his bat has to carry him, and so far it has been merely good, not great." They ranked only the #25 prospect in the Cubs system.

Comment

RHD, what do you think of Pirates RHP Tyler Glasnow? He has dominated in his first 4 AA starts after doing the same in high A and low A the last two years. Any chance he moves up your list from his current #30 rank? Do you think he can skip AAA if he continues to pitch like he has?
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          RHD, what do you think of Pirates RHP Tyler Glasnow? He has dominated in his first 4 AA starts after doing the same in high A and low A the last two years. Any chance he moves up your list from his current #30 rank? Do you think he can skip AAA if he continues to pitch like he has?
                          Thanx for the response, madducks.

Too early to make many significant rankings changes yet. Glasnow has been lights out in the early going so far. But I'm not changing his ranking yet on such a small sample size. He already pretty much was at the elite prospect level at #30. Next list should be rt around the time of the MLB draft, so probably not many dramatic changes until then unless they're based upon actual or imminent playing time increases in MLB.

Comment

I shouldn't post this right after RHD reminds us not to go crazy over SSS performances, but if anyone is in a league with deep minor league systems, it is time to start paying attention to Brent Honeywell. The dude has been filthy so far this year.

And I'd written off Lance McCullers after his horrible year last year, but maybe he was really bothered by his back all year. Whatever the case, he is one to watch too--He hasn't given up a run yet this year in 14 innings, and has 21 Ks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              I shouldn't post this right after RHD reminds us not to go crazy over SSS performances, but if anyone is in a league with deep minor league systems, it is time to start paying attention to Brent Honeywell. The dude has been filthy so far this year.

And I'd written off Lance McCullers after his horrible year last year, but maybe he was really bothered by his back all year. Whatever the case, he is one to watch too--He hasn't given up a run yet this year in 14 innings, and has 21 Ks.
                              Thanx for the response, Sour Masher.

Yeah, Honeywell has had about as much helium as any prospect recently. Actually, he has 29 Ks in 22 IP and an 0.82 ERA as a 20 y/o in Lo-A. Throws 91-94 and touches 97. Not in the Top 150 yet, but I'm poised to put him on if he continues to perform as he has.

Comment

Hey rhd - with the Segura injury and the general horrific play of the Brewers this year, is there any chance Orlando Arcia gets the call? Not sure about his Super 2 status but just wondering if he is close to ready for the bigs....thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X