How good is Mookie Betts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is Mookie Betts?

I keep reading that the Phillies want him in a trade for Hamels. I really don't know the AL, and I certainly don't know Betts..... but I would think a #1 starter ( without a doubt.... and possible HOFer, that is locked up for 4 more years ) has to be worth any young player except maybe someone with a top 5 rookie ranking.

I gather Betts doesn't qualify as a rookie anymore, but he is still super young.

What player does he project to be similar to? And is he a better OF or 2B?

As I have a soft spot for catchers - I was one in college - I think I would rather have Swihart ( sp? )........ Ruiz is cooked, and the Phils don't have a great one in the pipeline.

Sounds like BOS is adamant they won't trade either one for Hamels. Betts should be pretty good though. He will likely leadoff this year for the Sox and has a really good plate approach with 10% walk rate and a projected 85% contact rate. League-average power, good speed, good batted ball distribution. So I don't know what HAmels is work but Ben Cherington thinks its less than Betts. I know he wants to deal only minor leaguers for Hamels so maybe Blake Swihart can be had but from what I hear around here, is they think Swihart is the next coming of Buster Posey.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
      Sounds like BOS is adamant they won't trade either one for Hamels. Betts should be pretty good though. He will likely leadoff this year for the Sox and has a really good plate approach with 10% walk rate and a projected 85% contact rate. League-average power, good speed, good batted ball distribution. So I don't know what HAmels is work but Ben Cherington thinks its less than Betts. I know he wants to deal only minor leaguers for Hamels so maybe Blake Swihart can be had but from what I hear around here, is they think Swihart is the next coming of Buster Posey.
      I heard that the offer the Sox made for Hamles was mainly major leaguers. They do not want to trade Swihart or Betts. I understand Swihart but Betts doesn't make sense to hang on to. The outfield is crowded and they have Pedroia locked up long term. No one is going to give you anything of real value for Craig or Victorino so if you want to trade away your excess you can't always trade from the bottom.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        I heard that the offer the Sox made for Hamles was mainly major leaguers. They do not want to trade Swihart or Betts. I understand Swihart but Betts doesn't make sense to hang on to. The outfield is crowded and they have Pedroia locked up long term. No one is going to give you anything of real value for Craig or Victorino so if you want to trade away your excess you can't always trade from the bottom.

Yeah, you are right. Duh. It is the opposite of what I said. Cherington is trying to avoid trading minor league talent. Bucky is right.
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Betts = Roto beast.

Comment

ZIPS projection is 283/352/420 8hr 18sb in 418PA. Add another 200 PA to that and you are looking at 12hr/27sb, a good OBP that might lead to 100 runs. He is a pretty good 2B from what I have read but he can also play a good RF and maybe even handle CF. I would think he's the equivalent of a top-5 prospect in real life (given his on base percentage anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              ZIPS projection is 283/352/420 8hr 18sb in 418PA. Add another 200 PA to that and you are looking at 12hr/27sb, a good OBP that might lead to 100 runs. He is a pretty good 2B from what I have read but he can also play a good RF and maybe even handle CF. I would think he's the equivalent of a top-5 prospect in real life (given his on base percentage anyway).
              So he's Jason Heyward with less power and more speed. I'd dump him for Hamels in a heartbeat. The Red Sox missed the boat on the off-season pitchers, they need pitching more than any contending team in MLB right now. The bats are going to be easier to find at the deadline than top of the rotation starters.

Comment

The thing I don't understand is why should any team give up a primo young player AND pay 100 million for four years? Hamels contract is NOT cheap. I do not care if he has had 5 very good seasons in a row, hamels is due $100 million. Now, if Philly wants to eat about $50 or $60, lets roll out the primo young players because now you are talking about a worthwhile contract.

As for Mookie, read post #5 by Gregg. With in two seasons, Betts is a top 10 American league player.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                  So he's Jason Heyward with less power and more speed. I'd dump him for Hamels in a heartbeat. The Red Sox missed the boat on the off-season pitchers, they need pitching more than any contending team in MLB right now. The bats are going to be easier to find at the deadline than top of the rotation starters.
                  Not this deadline. I read about 4 or 5 top arms heading into this, their free agent, season. Teams are going to trade for something rather than get pick #35 in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                    The thing I don't understand is why should any team give up a primo young player AND pay 100 million for four years? Hamels contract is NOT cheap. I do not care if he has had 5 very good seasons in a row, hamels is due $100 million. Now, if Philly wants to eat about $50 or $60, lets roll out the primo young players because now you are talking about a worthwhile contract.

As for Mookie, read post #5 by Gregg. With in two seasons, Betts is a top 10 American league player.
                    Hamels is below market value. Teams should gladly pay $100M over 5 years for what Hamels brings.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Hamels is below market value. Teams should gladly pay $100M over 5 years for what Hamels brings.
                      And you would think this is exactly the kind of player the Phis would want to keep and build around. Are they telling their fan base that they are not going to be competitive in the next 5 years?

Added that no one should give up their good young players to get a pitcher when there are plenty out there next year. Of course you move some of them if you are in contention.

I would like to see the Cubs trade for Hamels but not at the expense of any of their top young talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        I would like to see the Cubs trade for Hamels but not at the expense of any of their top young talent.
                        I'm pretty sure every team would like to trade for Hamels if they didn't have to give up anything decent for him.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Hamels is worth some sort of prospect probably. I don't think many smart teams would part with elite talent in order to land him, but I suppose that depends on how desperate they are.
                          Beane gave up Addison Russell to land a couple of inferior starters for a 1/2 season, Hamels is definitely going to fetch at least one great prospect IMO. The Phillies would be fools to deal him for anything less.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Wow, I don't know why. Maybe not Bryant, but why not on Baez? There's still plenty of young hitting talent paired with strong front line pitching. And his contract will expire right when you need to start paying some serious coin for your young hitters.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

That said, someone will crack at some point and throw out a top guy, at a minimum. But two? Three? I don't see it. Maybe if the Phils eat some salary.
                              Agree with this. And if I'm the GM of a team in win now or very soon mode, I'd go get him. For one top prospect.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X