How good is Mookie Betts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    And you would think this is exactly the kind of player the Phis would want to keep and build around. Are they telling their fan base that they are not going to be competitive in the next 5 years?

Added that no one should give up their good young players to get a pitcher when there are plenty out there next year. Of course you move some of them if you are in contention.

I would like to see the Cubs trade for Hamels but not at the expense of any of their top young talent.
    I believe they are, and if they aren't, they are lying. No point in having an ace or a big name closer on this team. And Hamels is far more than a good pitcher. Top 7 or 8 in the league, maybe.

As a Boston TV guy said, the Phillies are not looking to trade 5 nickels for a quarter. I hate Amaro as a GM, but he absolutely can't afford to mess this up. The Phillies ONLY need is young talent - something they can develop.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      I would like to see the Cubs trade for Hamels but not at the expense of any of their top young talent.

Wow, I don't know why. Maybe not Bryant, but why not on Baez? There's still plenty of young hitting talent paired with strong front line pitching. And his contract will expire right when you need to start paying some serious coin for your young hitters.
      The why not is because 2015 is not the year to go for it. 2016 is. If they wait until after this season they can keep all of their young talent and spend money on one of the great pitching FA's that will be available. If it was a matter of just Baez and some lesser developed prospects maybe. But that certainly does not seem to be the option that the Phils are willing to do. I would also add that if the Cubs manage to win 80 plus games in 2015, they would be a more attractive destination for those free agents that want to win.

Comment

The why not is because 2015 is not the year to go for it. 2016 is. If they wait until after this season they can keep all of their young talent and spend money on one of the great pitching FA's that will be available. If it was a matter of just Baez and some lesser developed prospects maybe. But that certainly does not seem to be the option that the Phils are willing to do. I would also add that if the Cubs manage to win 80 plus games in 2015, they would be a more attractive destination for those free agents that want to win.
        Completely agree.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Farrell: "If Shane Victorino's healthy, he's our right fielder." And Farrell says Victorino is "full go" right now

So where does that leave Betts?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
            Farrell: "If Shane Victorino's healthy, he's our right fielder." And Farrell says Victorino is "full go" right now

So where does that leave Betts?
            Super utility until one of the fragile's get hurt?

Comment

I doubt they'd keep him in the majors to play a utility role. Like any decent prospect, they'd send him to AAA to play everyday. Or at least they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                I doubt they'd keep him in the majors to play a utility role. Like any decent prospect, they'd send him to AAA to play everyday. Or at least they should.
                No, they shouldn't. There is zero reason for him to waste any time in the minors. His numbers prove that he's good enough for the majors. From what we've seen he's no longer a prospect but a major leaguer. He might go through some growing pains but he needs to do that at the major league level. He can play all three outfield positions and cover second base. He can get 400 ABs easily that way.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Super utility until one of the fragile's get hurt?
                  That'd be my guess. Neither Victorino or Hanley are pictures of perfect health, and Pedroia should take more days off at this stage of his career, too. Having Betts around to get 500+ plate appearances as a super utility guy makes the most sense.

Comment

Spring Training posturing 101: This is all about building up Victorino's trade value, and little to do with who's the better player for the Sox. At the end of the season I'd wager that Betts gets 550 AB's, and it'll be mostly in one position...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                    X