Manny Ramirez Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
    True enough. But in limited MLB exposure (145 ABs), he has 5 HRs and a .335 OBA. He strikes out (63), but he'll also take a walk (19). I think Gamel gives every indication of being able to handle major league pitching. His defense is atrocious at 3B, but will likely play at 1B, but being blocked by Prince isn't exactly a recipe for promotion. I think if he was traded and brought up to play 1B on an everyday basis, by the end of the season, he would be passable defensively, and above-average with the stick. This is a good player to take a gamble on, in my opinion.

I thought that you did that last year...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I thought that you did that last year...
      Yeah, despite a couple of gems (Butler, Greinke) I felt that keeper list was damn terrible last year, and Gamel would, at the very least not hurt me and not cost a lot. This year, I targeted him again, but with more reasonable exposure, as a minor league draft pick. He has a good bat and if things bounce right for him PT-wise, he could be a steal. He doesn't have the stink of failure on him that Davis does. He's merely missing opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
        Yeah, despite a couple of gems (Butler, Greinke) I felt that keeper list was damn terrible last year, and Gamel would, at the very least not hurt me and not cost a lot. This year, I targeted him again, but with more reasonable exposure, as a minor league draft pick. He has a good bat and if things bounce right for him PT-wise, he could be a steal. He doesn't have the stink of failure on him that Davis does. He's merely missing opportunity.
        Good point...I do like the "stink of failure" line. Very nice.

I really can't understand why people are still enthralled with Chris Davis...he's failed at the big league level a couple of times now. But maybe he'll be a Jack Cust and finally catch on with someone and have some value down the line.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I find it really ironic - and pretty darn funny - to hear the ESPN guys ripping on Manny for taking steroids with Aaron Boone in the booth. Anyone else notice how really, really quiet Boone has been through this whole thing?
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I really can't understand why people are still enthralled with Chris Davis...he's failed at the big league level a couple of times now. But maybe he'll be a Jack Cust and finally catch on with someone and have some value down the line.
            It's just that the upside is SO high. Would I draft Davis and take up a slot that could go to a productive hitter in a season in which I feel I'm competitive? Hell, no. Take him as a draft pick when I have room for 15 (!) minor leaguers? Sounds like a good risk to me. So few of the 270 minor leaguers we roster ever amount to anything anyway, so Davis is not really THAT much of a stretch, all things considered. That said, I'd rather have Gamel.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              I'd still take Davis over Gamel. :shrug:
              They're a pretty similar player to me at this point, but Davis has tried and failed and Gamel hasn't even really had a shot yet, and the reason he hasn't is that he's been blocked by an All-Star. Seems a slightly better risk to me, but both are longshots, so the difference is negligible, in my opinion.

Comment

Manny. 3 time loser with positive PED tests, spanning from 2003, 2009, 2011. He gets no benefit of the doubt. Would he have been a great hitter, probably a good one - 280-20-90 type of guy in his prime. His entire career results have been HEAVILY bloated by steroids/PEDS. May the Red Sox never let his mug grace the hallows halls of Fenway for any 2004/2008 downstream reunions.

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur wood View Post
                  Manny. 3 time loser with positive PED tests, spanning from 2003, 2009, 2011. He gets no benefit of the doubt. Would he have been a great hitter, probably a good one - 280-20-90 type of guy in his prime. His entire career results have been HEAVILY bloated by steroids/PEDS. May the Red Sox never let his mug grace the hallows halls of Fenway for any 2004/2008 downstream reunions.
                  Funny. If not for Manny, there probably would not be any championships to celebrate with a reunion. Unless you assume he was doing PEDs while in Cleveland (which none of us know), then you have to admit that his pre-Boston numbers show a HOF-caliber hitter.

This ending tarnishes Manny's entire career, but are any fans calling for their teams' records to be forfeited for the times they had known steroid users on their rosters? I've heard a lot of people say that Hank Aaron and Roger Maris hold the "real" HR records...but I have not heard anyone say the Rockies were the "real" W.S. champs in 2007.
                  Last edited by ThatRogue; 04-12-2011, 09:33 AM.
                  2021 Auction Anatomy
                  2021 Keeper Decisions
                  2020 Auction Anatomy
                  2020 Pre-Auction
                  2015 Auction Anatomy
                  2014 Auction Anatomy
                  2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                  RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                    Funny. If not for Manny, there probably would not be any championships for which to celebrate with a reunion. Unless you assume he was doing PEDs while in Cleveland (which none of us know), then you have to admit that his pre-Boston numbers show a HOF-caliber hitter.

This ending tarnishes Manny's entire career, but are any fans calling for their teams' records to be forfeited for the times they had known steroid users on their rosters? I've heard a lot of people say that Hank Aaron and Roger Maris hold the "real" HR records...but I have not heard anyone say the Rockies were the real W.S. champs in 2007.

3....2...1...cue Senorsheep.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

manny being manny - oh, that lovable goof!

Get MLB news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

Former All-Star slugger Manny Ramirez was arrested in Broward County, Fla., on Monday night and charged with domestic battery.

Ramirez was released Tuesday from Broward County Jail on $2,500 bail on the domestic battery charge. Broward Circuit Judge Jon Hurley ordered that he have no direct contact with his wife.

According to a police report obtained by The Associated Press, Ramirez and his wife were arguing in their bedroom when he slapped her face, causing her to hit her head on their bed's headboard. She told the deputy she was afraid the situation would escalate and called police.

Ramirez denied hitting his wife, according to the police report. Ramirez's wife had injuries consistent with her story, but did not want medical treatment.

douche.
                      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

I guess he still hasn't quit the roids.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                        X