X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One the Astros did vs Franklin Gutierrez in 2012

Comment

From the Boston Globe:

General managers actually took a vote on defensive shifting at their November meetings in Phoenix, and only approximately 4-6 wanted to eliminate it.

Comment

From that same article:

Agent Scott Boras is against defensive shifting, and is in agreement with commissioner Rob Manfred in having discussions about eliminating it. Boras cites a number of reasons, among them lefthanded pull hitters not being rewarded for hitting the ball hard and where it’s pitched (a mantra taught by coaches as players come up through the ranks); the effect it may have on amateur players down the road; and the possible increase in strikeouts.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Can we just stipulate that pretty much anything Scott Boras wants, I want the opposite? At least in terms of baseball?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Can we just stipulate that pretty much anything Scott Boras wants, I want the opposite? At least in terms of baseball?
            I think we can stipulate that anything Scott Boras wants is bad for baseball!
            Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
            Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              And frankly, Boras has a point on how it may influence younger players. At least in the US, amateur ball wants to win games, if that involves shifting to get that win, so be it. And I can see how certain coaches might steer their players to bunt, or hit the other way in order to be a better "team".

Certainly something to think about...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Boras is for Boras. If they eliminated defensive shifts his clients would have better offensive numbers which would lead to them making more money. If Boras's clients make more money then Boras earns more money, hence his position.

Comment

Hit the ball where it is pitched? Sage advice from Boras, since that is likely the only place you will make contact. You can swing other places if you like, and channel your inner Rob Deer.

But what I was always told was that batters should "hit 'em where they ain't."

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    Hit the ball where it is pitched? Sage advice from Boras, since that is likely the only place you will make contact.
                    I love it when Lucky gets snarky.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                      Boras is for Boras. If they eliminated defensive shifts his clients would have better offensive numbers which would lead to them making more money. If Boras's clients make more money then Boras earns more money, hence his position.
                      what about his pitchers? won't they make more money because of shifts, then?
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        what about his pitchers? won't they make more money because of shifts, then?
                        You certainly have a good point. The only rationalization that I can think of is that it is the defensive shifts and not the pitchers who are being given credit for the offensive decline hence their salaries are not being raised commensurately.

Comment

Working...
                        X